Orange & Robinson Apartments | 11-story residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

8 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

And don't forget "X" number of parking spaces in the garage are reserved (deeded??) for church parking as part of the sale of that property... They are joined together in holy matrimony.

Guessing they are the "Primo" spaces too, first couple floors of the structure.  As a tenant I would be annoyed to be default on floor 4.

17 hours ago, ChiDev said:

Guessing they are the "Primo" spaces too, first couple floors of the structure.  As a tenant I would be annoyed to be default on floor 4.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised, but it makes sense the church would want easy access.

That said, awkward parking never stopped condos/apartments from filling up w/residents so long as it's included. There are a few places I wouldn't want to live just based on the parking situation alone: The Grande, Skyhouse & China Glass Warehouse (although I really love the authentic loft architecture). Since those buildings don't have podium parking, residents have to park in the garage located off to the side, make the trek over to the main building in inclement weather and then wait for the elevator to go upstairs... NOPE. If needed, I can be in & out of my building in less than a minute because of where my parking space is located so I've gotten pretty spoiled all these years lol.

Edited by nite owℓ

Yeah the 3 that stick in my head are Post (the garage is across the street), Solaire (that windy ramp up to level 4 gives me nightmares of scratching my car), and 55W (majority of resident parking isn't until level 8 (I was on 9 and it didn't bother me a ton, but it definitely discouraged making multiple car trips a day).

• Like 1

I haven't been in the Solaire's garage in a long time, but I didn't think it was that bad (although I did notice one wall was scuffed up quite a bit from cars grazing it lol). I think the "corkscrew design" serves a purpose - whether it be a solution for tight floorplans or maximizing parking spaces, I'm not sure.

It reminds me of a parking garage in Miami (off Biscayne Blvd) and when you're inside of the corkscrew - it seems to spiral forever. I also think the art deco/semi-Mayan Revival pattern used as screening is so cute while still providing enough fresh air and natural light inside.

Edited by nite owℓ

18 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I haven't been in the Solaire's garage in a long time, but I didn't think it was that bad (although I did notice one wall was scuffed up quite a bit from cars grazing it lol). I think the "corkscrew design" serves a purpose - whether it be a solution for tight floorplans or maximizing parking spaces, I'm not sure.

It reminds me of a parking garage in Miami (off Biscayne Blvd) and when you're inside of the corkscrew - it seems to spiral forever. I also think the art deco/semi-Mayan Revival pattern used as screening is so cute while still providing enough fresh air and natural light inside.

The design is pretty common in Miami. Another notable example is Dadeland Station in... Dadeland.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 8:13 AM, WAJAS said:

The design is pretty common in Miami. Another notable example is Dadeland Station in... Dadeland.

Yep the design is not unheard of in other cities/countries, but since it's uncommon in Orlando I think the design contributes to people's dislike for Solaire's garage. I mentioned that particular garage because I like the architecture and the interior spiral and the garage are almost totally enveloped vs "open air".

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Yep the design is not unheard of in other cities/countries, but since it's uncommon in Orlando I think the design contributes to people's dislike for Solaire's garage. I mentioned that particular garage because I like the architecture and the interior spiral and the garage are almost totally enveloped vs "open air".

I actually like it more than a normal garage ramp. They make it easier to exit and decrease oncoming traffic in the garage.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, OrlandoBeaver said:

Photo from today. I think the paint job helps make it look less like a giant concrete block. Turning out better than I anticipated. 

Bring back the Giant Concrete Block!

But seriously, it's feels nice to have a building there.  I can't wait for Society to start going vertical so we can have a nice wall of buildings along Orange.  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

and yet virtually no stores. It’s interesting to ponder Carl Langford’s disaster of a downtown in the ‘70’s had more retail than Buddy’s...

If retailers wanted to locate in downtown Orlando, they'd locate there.

They obviously don't want to.

Why?

Likely because they don't see it as a profitable location to do business.

Has little or nothing to do with Buddy Dyer or his policies, etc.

13 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

If retailers wanted to locate in downtown Orlando, they'd locate there.

They obviously don't want to.

Why?

Likely because they don't see it as a profitable location to do business.

Has little or nothing to do with Buddy Dyer or his policies, etc.

It was ok to give millions to Colonial Plaza and WP Village, though. Retailers are herd animals. You have to prime the pump. Even Buddy did it with Publix and it actually worked. 
I’d rather spend hundreds of thousands on retail than failed basketball teams that are homophobic and oppose public education. Not to mention that give us nonexistent entertainment complexes.

Edited by spenser1058

37 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

It was ok to give millions to Colonial Plaza and WP Village, though. Retailers are herd animals. You have to prime the pump. Even Buddy did it with Publix and it actually worked. 
I’d rather spend hundreds of thousands on retail than failed basketball teams that are homophobic and oppose public education. Not to mention that give us nonexistent entertainment complexes.

How is making it to the playoffs 16 times in 31 seasons a failure? Just because you don't like the owner doesn't make the team itself a failure.

56 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Retailers are herd animals

Yes, they go out of business in herds.

57 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I’d rather spend hundreds of thousands on retail than failed basketball teams that are homophobic and oppose public education.

Fine. When you have a job allocating the funds you get to make that decision.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Sure it worked with Publix, but they were likely interested in locating downtown to begin with and used their name recognition and clout to get the city to pony up.

You cannot just go out and buy or pay some company to locate somewhere if they aren't interested.

Apparently, as things stand right now, downtown Orlando is just not an attractive location for most retailers.

And as I pointed out not long ago, Publix sells something that everybody wants and needs.

They were virtually assured success. 

There’s property coming available at the Sentinel, plus empty lots over by I4 and along Magnolia north of Colonial. They wouldn’t be supercenters but a small format Target or Publix ( the latest version is smaller than Eola/Shine/CP) could work.

Alternatively, one of the natural stores could work but I don’t think the incomes in the area are high enough.

2 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

There’s property coming available at the Sentinel, plus empty lots over by I4 and along Magnolia north of Colonial. They wouldn’t be supercenters but a small format Target or Publix ( the latest version is smaller than Eola/Shine/CP) could work.

Alternatively, one of the natural stores could work but I don’t think the incomes in the area are high enough.

My bet is on the south end of Sentinel, proves easier for Ivanhoe/N Eola & all the N Orange Residential.   Also rather close to CV.

• Like 1

Sentinel would be the primo spot to put a retail center.  At least with CVS (I say CVS but I guess Walgreen's could work too), and another major grocery chain.  If not Publix due to proximity to other stores, Winn Dixie is finally adding stores again.  I don't know if one of the health food stores is necessarily a good idea given how volatile that market is. 

• Like 2