Orange & Robinson Apartments | 11-story residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

4 minutes ago, codypet said:

Sentinel would be the primo spot to put a retail center.  At least with CVS (I say CVS but I guess Walgreen's could work too), and another major grocery chain.  If not Publix due to proximity to other stores, Winn Dixie is finally adding stores again.  I don't know if one of the health food stores is necessarily a good idea given how volatile that market is. 

Has W-D gotten over its aversion to non-suburban stores finally? Which is, of course, ironic, given that they were just the opposite before they were swallowed up by the P.E.F. after the first bankruptcy.

Edited by spenser1058

1 minute ago, orange87 said:

I'd love for them to open a Disney Store in Downtown Orlando.

Given that Disney’s an official sponsor of the Magic, I’d say it were quite possible if we ever get an entertainment complex out of that group.

Ending Magical Express also suggests the iron fortress that has been Disney property since the Eisner era may be letting down the drawbridge a notch. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I'd love for them to open a Disney Store in Downtown Orlando.

I was about to say that Disney would be a sure thing to pay the rent on said downtown store.  But, maybe not if their model is that each location has to hold it's own financially.  Still, it could serve as an attraction to lure some tourists that happen to be nearby or at a game.

I have my doubts that such a store would do enough business to stay open for six months.

How many local residents does anyone here know, who are on a weekly or even monthly basis, in the market for Mickey Mouse ears or $20 Mickey Mouse coffee mugs, or $30+ stuffed Disney characters, etc.?  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JFW657 said:

I have my doubts that such a store would do enough business to stay open for six months.

How many local residents does anyone here know, who are on a weekly or even monthly basis, in the market for Mickey Mouse ears or $20 Mickey Mouse coffee mugs, or $30+ stuffed Disney characters, etc.?  

You’d be amazed. There are a number of stores where cast members working in Disney offices stop in and spend a good portion of their earnings on Disney swag. 

Just now, spenser1058 said:

You’d be amazed. There are a number of stores where cast members working in Disney offices stop in and spend a good portion of their earnings on Disney swag. 

Meh.

To stay afloat downtown, the entire 77,000 person Disney workforce would have to go there once per month.

OK, maybe half of them.

9 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Meh.

To stay afloat downtown, the entire 77,000 person Disney workforce would have to go there once per month.

OK, maybe half of them.

I’m assuming in the incredible entertainment complex the Magic have been taking so long to make perfect that it won’t just be downtown residents.

2 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I’m assuming in the incredible entertainment complex the Magic have been taking so long to make perfect that it won’t just be downtown residents.

No, it won't. And maybe a Disney store is in the MEC's future.

But I still don't see that place generating enough business to stay afloat.

Magic merchandize, sure. Why not?

But I just don't see the kind of crowds that would frequent such a complex spending a lot on expensive Disney junk.

5 minutes ago, elefants said:

The Orlando Magic Team Shop is already open Monday thru Friday and it's attached to the arena.

Agreed about a Disney store not succeeding there.  At least not until downtown gets significantly more tourists.  

Back in the early to mid 90's a Disney store might have done well especially in the Exchange or the Market.

Downtown was rife with tourists by the busload back then.

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Has W-D gotten over its aversion to non-suburban stores finally? Which is, of course, ironic, given that they were just the opposite before they were swallowed up by the P.E.F. after the first bankruptcy.

Maybe?  The Brentwood Jacksonville store that's a former Publix is the closest thing that comes to mind.  Seems to be more on par with the College Park/Shine stores.

image.png.83c34a1a91c59f0155204589a1d85b89.png

image.png.036ec59ff311d592693249dc711dd8a8.png

I tried to find information on it and it was interesting that they're looking to phase out the Bi-Lo brand.  Which is what saved Winn Dixie from obliteration.  They'd instead just focus on the Winn Dixie, Fresco y Mas and Harvey's banners.  I almost feel like we're headed to the W/D Save Rite days.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, KnightBay said:

I am not on this website all that often but when I do visit, it seems like the usual suspects derail every thread to be about some argument  about retail (not enough, the wrong type, or wishful thinking) but more frustratingly how much better downtown Orlando was in its glory years or heyday and how Buddy is the directly responsible for the downfall of Rome. 

Certainly does get a bit tiresome when the same old dead horse gets beaten relentlessly.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

IMO, the spirited discussions/debates that "derail every thread" are what kept this website alive after all these years, otherwise we'd become another skyscrap- oop, never mind.

I'm ok with brief off-topic discussions within development threads as long as they are related to the topic and naturally flow with the convo in good spirit. During lulls in construction meandering convos tend to occur more often, but members tend to stick to business during construction booms. The nuances behind some derailed conversations are usually quite obvious: either to 1) provide unique perspectives & facts or 2) vainly attempt to "win" an argument, establish self-importance, unnecessarily disparage others, etc. (I think we can all agree the latter contributes nothing to the forum).

I agree that meandering off topic a little bit is perfectly acceptable and even makes for more fun and interesting discussions. 

44 minutes ago, codypet said:

Since I derailed it with my pictures of Publix and Winn-Dixie's, I have a picture of a different perspective.  CNB really dwarfs it, but it's good infill. 

This is a really nice picture that shows the step-down to the new building.  

The more I look at it, the less I like the center visor thing.  The building looks like the rear of a car with a awkwardly small wing on it.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2021 at 3:24 PM, codypet said:

Since I derailed it with my pictures of Publix and Winn-Dixie's, I have a picture of a different perspective.  CNB really dwarfs it, but it's good infill. 

20210117_124249.jpg

Staring at this thing head on like this certainly not flattering. Driving down Orange yesterday, it didn’t seem terrible (but I wasn’t looking up).

• 1 month later...