Orange & Robinson Apartments | 11-story residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

22 hours ago, codypet said:

When the land was owned by the  Diocese of Orlando, they originally proposed apartments for senior citizens with an affordable housing component for the elderly (and incorporate parking for themselves).

Instead, the church sold the land to MAA with the stipulation that 200 parking spaces in the parking garage will be reserved for church parking.

Yes, it was more about the priorities - we badly need more newer affordable housing downtown (the current church towers go back 50+ years). When push came to shove, they just said “never mind” to that component but made darn sure there was plenty of space for cars.

The Diocese had a chance to make a statement here about what was important to them going forward and I suppose they did. 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

So...

This building, evokes a lot of emotions; prefab; not tall enough; eh; etc...

However, at night, it's parking deck is lit up and when driving on I-4, it really takes up a lot of lateral space.  in fact, this thing is much larger visually than the Washington Street Garage building, which is a couple blocks to the south.  I have to say that it makes a pretty big visual impact in the center of downtown.   The Crescent Center (right name?) across from the OC Cthse- it's parking deck, which is much smaller has seasonal light displays which are visible thru the Lynx complex.  But this thing is so much wider and taller than that.

I don't have a photo; it's hard to take a night shot while moving.  It would be worth it. 

It really does compliment the neighboring towers with midrise bulk.  And at night, when it's lit up, it really increased the downtown lit up building bulk.  It's just bulk; not noteworthy for design on the back side facing I-4.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/10/2021 at 7:58 PM, JFW657 said:

I wonder how long it will take for those white painted vertical surfaces around those entrances to get all scuff marked and nasty looking like Modera. 

They should've painted the white entrances in the dark blue-gray color IMO. I love when commercial spaces of mixed-use buildings are clearly defined and painted in dark colors or use different materials like stone, granite, etc. It really "grounds" the lower portion of mixed-use buildings, so for me the balance is out of wack here.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

They should've painted the white entrances in the dark blue-gray color IMO. I love when commercial spaces of mixed-use buildings are clearly defined and painted in dark colors or use different materials like stone, granite, etc. It really "grounds" the lower portion of mixed-use buildings, so for me the balance is out of wack here.

Even though in general, I dislike white exterior surfaces on buildings, I wouldn't mind those entrances having been painted white if the bottom 2 or 3 feet up from the sidewalk had been clad in some type of scuffmark resistant material, whatever the color.

I wonder why architects never think of these things. 

11 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Even though in general, I dislike white exterior surfaces on buildings, I wouldn't mind those entrances having been painted white if the bottom 2 or 3 feet up from the sidewalk had been clad in some type of scuffmark resistant material, whatever the color.

I wonder why architects never think of these things. 

I always think of 530 East Central as downtown’s great white elephant.

Somehow it escaped from Daytona Beach Shores in the mid-80’s and refuses to go home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/13/2021 at 10:22 AM, spenser1058 said:

I always think of 530 East Central as downtown’s great white elephant.

Somehow it escaped from Daytona Beach Shores in the mid-80’s and refuses to go home.

hilarious!  That and Park Lake Tower!

first time I saw those I was like...hmmm...something familiar about this place... (think Luke on Dagobah).

• 1 month later...

based on the discussion in the Orlando Developments thread, I think this project, such as it is, is way more important to the CBD ala centralized residential development than anyone realized.  Look at it's location.  Before it, 55W and Solaire were the closest things to the CBD for residential.  THen, Modera was built and before that, Central Sta at Amelia & Orange.  This is a very important residential project.

Society will add to the neighborhood in a huge way, of course, but this was a pivotal project I think.  Now if they could just build something adjacent to Seacoast Bank that would be great.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Now if they could just build something adjacent to Seacoast Bank that would be great.

I THINK I remember seeing permits for the park there on a recent City agenda,  but don't recall which board or when -- but forward movement on that would be great. 

• Like 3

On 7/28/2021 at 12:39 PM, smileguy said:

I THINK I remember seeing permits for the park there on a recent City agenda,  but don't recall which board or when -- but forward movement on that would be great. 

Dr Phillips Charities is seeking permits for "Orange-Robinson Park at 274 N. Orange Ave., which includes a two-story building with an elevator, retail, outdoor gathering spaces, a permanent food truck and a food truck that changes every few weeks, city of Orlando records show. The project also will feature an LED gateway message sign at the corner of Orange Avenue and Robinson Street.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/07/14/orlando-downtown-florida-building.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Yes. From the street looking up into the units that were open, gives that corner an entirely different feel..

Once that retail is there it should definitely help!

yeah, this project really gets rid of that Black Hole (kind of) between the Washington Street corridor/corner of places and the places closer to Livingston block.

he Church takes up a whole block on the east side of Orange, which is fine.  It's the other side of Orange just to the south of this project where the only thing there is Seacoast Bank and it's parking before you get to AECOM et al.

I can't believe the only thing on that entire block is the undersized Seacoast Bank building and parking.  They need to build on that block, like, yesterday.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, codypet said:

And TBH if instead of knocking down that building on the corner that Verizon had used and reskinned it back to its original design, the block may have been bridge already.  At least half of it.

image.png.027661e6625dd2e51b52e982d0c76017.png

Citizens Bank was always the poor stepchild of the Orlando banks, well behind First at Orlando and Florida National (which was propped up by duPont money). This was in the days before branch banking came to Florida (we were far behind and states like NC proceeded to eat our lunch when that changed). When branching came in the late ‘70’s, Citizens was one of the first to go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, codypet said:

And TBH if instead of knocking down that building on the corner that Verizon had used and reskinned it back to its original design, the block may have been bridge already.  At least half of it.

image.png.027661e6625dd2e51b52e982d0c76017.png

I think City Hall makes it difficult for developers to build on these small lots; this lot and also Pine & Orange...

• Like 1