Orange & Robinson Apartments | 11-story residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

I wonder what rent this deal is targeting,  they are going to 10 stories which is at minimum a price comparable form of construction to Radius, the two new Creative Village deals, 520, The Yards, & (former Broadstone Lakehouse - whats it called now?).

They are nestled downtown and are creating an awfully dark courtyard @ 8 stories of depth on all sides.  Buildings I have been a part of with thin courtyards have gotten complaints @ 60' width, and those structures were only 5 story, yet still we were told that we had created an echo chamber.   I have a feeling that these tenants are not going to enjoy the noise level & lack of light found w/ this project.

image.thumb.png.98efbe532e9ce6415c25d2cd80f2185a.pngimage.thumb.png.84eb7172132eede019a63c522152d6a0.png 

That said I think they still will fall somewhere in the middle of the pack, the question is where?  Since the opening of Creative Village projects on the other side of I4 have jumped in demand, with Skyhouse now leading the pack where before it was well behind CityTower & Modera.

image.png.425a48098a45b0d60c6c84076272ce45.png

If this forum were to rank the apt projects, where would this fall?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, ChiDev said:

I wonder what rent this deal is targeting,  they are going to 10 stories which is at minimum a price comparable form of construction to Radius, the two new Creative Village deals, 520, The Yards, & (former Broadstone Lakehouse - whats it called now?).

They are nestled downtown and are creating an awfully dark courtyard @ 8 stories of depth on all sides.  Buildings I have been a part of with thin courtyards have gotten complaints @ 60' width, and those structures were only 5 story, yet still we were told that we had created an echo chamber.   I have a feeling that these tenants are not going to enjoy the noise level & lack of light found w/ this project.

image.thumb.png.98efbe532e9ce6415c25d2cd80f2185a.pngimage.thumb.png.84eb7172132eede019a63c522152d6a0.png 

That said I think they still will fall somewhere in the middle of the pack, the question is where?  Since the opening of Creative Village projects on the other side of I4 have jumped in demand, with Skyhouse now leading the pack where before it was well behind CityTower & Modera.

image.png.425a48098a45b0d60c6c84076272ce45.png

If this forum were to rank the apt projects, where would this fall?

Around the $2 mark. 

1 hour ago, ChiDev said:

Roof mounted stadium lights?

Or maybe they could mount large mirrors that change angle with the sun and reflect sunlight down into the courtyard.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 2:24 PM, JFW657 said:

Roof mounted stadium lights?

Or maybe they could mount large mirrors that change angle with the sun and reflect sunlight down into the courtyard.

Both 420 and the new upcoming 520 (even more so) are big echo chambers. It's all about getting the most usable sq. ft. and not about comfort for residents. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, orlandoguy said:

There are port-o-johns on site for this project now.

Ron Paul?

Just an inside political joke - the guy in the “It’s Happening!” GIF we use to (authentically or sarcastically, as required) note a project starting is former presidential candidate (and daddy of KY senator Rand) Ron Paul.

• Thanks 1

Just an inside political joke - the guy in the “It’s Happening!” GIF we use to (authentically or sarcastically, as required) note a project starting is former presidential candidate (and daddy of KY senator Rand) Ron Paul.

Yes ... my question was, will he be making an appearance in this thread now that the port-o-johns are in place? “Ron Paul, are you here?” [emoji106]

On 1/20/2020 at 5:15 PM, Jvest55 said:

Both 420 and the new upcoming 520 (even more so) are big echo chambers. It's all about getting the most usable sq. ft. and not about comfort for residents. 

Radius could have been designed like this to maximize units but wasn't.  Certain deals like it and Modera didn't go to highest FAR on the notion their planned rents wouldn't be there for a crap unit. 

This deal maxed the FAR, for a large parking deck (to replace church parking, so really a loss to the property) & did so at a huge loss of efficiency.  Being single load wrap for 9 stories you wind up with a lot of empty corridor/inefficient space.   This project better put $$ into sound isolation or the echo chamber contained within the parking deck will be louder than anything at 420 & 520.

Point is, there is always some sacrifice made for maxxing out build-able sqft.   The same can be said for not building max units.  Its all a balance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et_E4M4JgIU

20 hours ago, ChiDev said:

Radius could have been designed like this to maximize units but wasn't.  Certain deals like it and Modera didn't go to highest FAR on the notion their planned rents wouldn't be there for a crap unit. 

This deal maxed the FAR, for a large parking deck (to replace church parking, so really a loss to the property) & did so at a huge loss of efficiency.  Being single load wrap for 9 stories you wind up with a lot of empty corridor/inefficient space.   This project better put $$ into sound isolation or the echo chamber contained within the parking deck will be louder than anything at 420 & 520.

Point is, there is always some sacrifice made for maxxing out build-able sqft.   The same can be said for not building max units.  Its all a balance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et_E4M4JgIU

I believe he was referring to the courtyard,  not the separation between the building and the garage. 

@Mark Baratelli has a good piece on Orange/Robinson that also touches on Golden Sparrow. Both of these are "happening". The 2 projects will bring over 1250 new units into the 2 block section of Orange. That is a lot of people for an area that has very little currently going for it in the way of food/drink/ etc. and will hopefully start to fill the gap with NQ.

https://www.thedailycity.com/post/orange-and-robinson-apartments-1

Maybe one of our creatives will photoshop these 2 building in so we can get an advance view. Throw Zoi in just for giggles.

• Like 1