Orange & Robinson Apartments | 11-story residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

It would appear that two concrete slabs separated with air in between is better than a single solid concrete slab, cause you know, sound vibrates through it. Concrete is a poor sound insulator anyway. I doubt every level would look like that, but who knows. The slabs that went up at 520 are super thin, you could probably karate chop it. 

48 minutes ago, Jvest55 said:

It would appear that two concrete slabs separated with air in between is better than a single solid concrete slab, cause you know, sound vibrates through it. Concrete is a poor sound insulator anyway. I doubt every level would look like that, but who knows. The slabs that went up at 520 are super thin, you could probably karate chop it. 

Here's a Google Images pic of another Finfrock job using that method...

6DFWNYKC7BEG5FIQMKUTPCHQI4.jpg

Looks like every floor is hollow.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Jvest55 said:

Air gaps are great at minimizing sound transfer. But concrete does not prevent physical sound transfer like stomping or dropping weights. 

Is 520 PT, hollow core or traditional slab construction? 

• Like 1

Typically hollow-core slabs for residential construction include provisions for sound dampening through the underflooring and flooring. This usually includes some type of rubber underflooring and padding along with sound-deadening carpet or  laminate/engineered flooring systems. 

7 hours ago, jack said:

Air gaps are great at minimizing sound transfer. But concrete does not prevent physical sound transfer like stomping or dropping weights. 

Is 520 PT, hollow core or traditional slab construction? 

For 520, I don't know how you'd describe it, In the side of the slab are holes that extend all the way through and are eventually capped at the end when the walls are in the finishing phase. I guess that means they are mostly hollow. I know at Star Tower the slabs are at least 3x thick

18 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Here's a Google Images pic of another Finfrock job using that method...

6DFWNYKC7BEG5FIQMKUTPCHQI4.jpg

Looks like every floor is hollow.

Interesting. 

Here' is a shot of 520 where one of the slabs still have the holes in it... you can tell just how thin it is. 

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Edited by Jvest55

16 hours ago, Jvest55 said:

For 520, I don't know how you'd describe it, In the side of the slab are holes that extend all the way through and are eventually capped at the end when the walls are in the finishing phase. I guess that means they are mostly hollow. I know at Star Tower the slabs are at least 3x thick

Interesting. 

Here' is a shot of 520 where one of the slabs still have the holes in it... you can tell just how thin it is. 

FullSizeRender.jpeg

That looks like PT. The holes are where the rods are placed.  PT is typically for many high-rises today. If star tower is that thick, it is traditional slab. 

• Like 1