Wade Hampton Blvd. Strategic Plan

vicupstate

46 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Wade Hampton Strategic Plan

The City of Greenville Planning Commission will hold a Public Hearing on Thursday, January 17, 2019, at 4:00 PM in the 10th Floor Council Chambers at City Hall, for the purpose of considering the following Applications:

Wow....lotsa (for lack of a better word) 'stuff' planned/proposed for the future...appears to be exciting stuff.

I hope they focus on the Timmons Park Gateway and the end of the Boulevard near the new Northpointe development initially. Glad to see that the city following through on this though. As a curiosity, I wondered what the zoning was like along the corridor, assuming C-3. I wonder if the city would consider rezoning the area I have boxed in red to RDV, similar to what could potentially happen on Pendleton St this week. I think it could be beneficial to aid the direction of redevelopment in the area to be consistent with what is going on in other parts of the city. Anything that promotes pedestrian-oriented development between the R6 and RM1 areas is good in my opinion. Thoughts?

image.png.c45339a0e91f8d4a0d2ae2cb86e29b4e.png

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, apaladin said:

This is the current Kangaroo/Marathon location at the corner of Chick Springs Rd. I assume they will tear down and build new. 

That's what the cover letter says, so nothing to assume. "The proposed improvements include full demolition of the existing convenience store, fuel canopy, and Minuteman Press building; and the construction of a new 5,200 sqft building, canopy, parking areas, drives, utilities, and landscaping."

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Any strategic plan for Wade Hampton Boulevard needs to start by renaming the street.  We really have a main thoroughfare named after Wade Hampton in the year 2022?  Really?

I’m a native, with family who was in Greenville County in the mid-1800s and before, so I think I can speak out about such things.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

It's the same argument as with other things people are renaming. We can't rename everything that offends somebody. People are much better off learning not to be offended by everything than expecting the world around them to change when they are.

Wade Hampton was a serious piece of crap though. Sure you shouldn't be offended by it being named after him... and I'm not... but why even do it?

Isn't there someone from Greenville that's more worthy of a major thoroughfare being named for? He's not even from here

Edited by NewlyUpstate
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

It's the same argument as with other things people are renaming. We can't rename everything that offends somebody. People are much better off learning not to be offended by everything than expecting the world around them to change when they are.

We should have a road named after Osama bin Laden, I'm sure no one would be offended. It's all about learning a lesson. In all seriousness, the road didn't even exist during the P.O.S. Wade Hampton lifetime, so it literally has no historical significance *at all* outside of reminding people that yeah, this knucklehead existed. 

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Albert Einstein have a grandchild or two in a cemetery off Wade Hampton? I'm all for changing Wade Hampton to Albert Einstein BLVD/Avenue. Albert Einstein BLVD would be more historically accurate than what exists today, and actually names it after someone that is universally praised instead of a person that clearly offends people (myself included).

https://greenville360.com/history/alberteinstein/

Edited by GVLover
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Yeah and the atheists want to rename Church Street. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Get that woke movement crap out of here. 

Personally, I see no reason to rename Church Street but fully recognize that there would be a double standard if Coffee Street, for instance, were Mosque Street and how people would demand a change. I would find either argument to be petty, and wouldn't waste a breath debating on either side especially historically there was Church or Mosque on X particular street.

Wade Hampton BLVD is different especially once you look into his history. He was one of the largest owners of people that were enslaved, and literally played a role in the only US successful coup in Wilmington, NC. He betrayed his Country in favor keeping Black people in chains for the sake of his pockets. Disgusting. 

Edited by GVLover
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Aren't there three Wade Hamptons?  Wade Hampton was from SC and last time I checked #yeahthatgreenville was in SC. 

If we rename the street don't we have to rename the high school, and Hampton county too?  Of course there is a county named for Robert E. Lee too, so we have to change that too. Ten of the first 12 Presidents owned slaves. Two others didn't own slaves but did their best to preserve slavery.  There are thousands of cities, counties, schools, streets named for them.  

When it comes down to it, we would only be able to name things after flowers and trees. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, gman430 said:

Yeah and the atheists want to rename Church Street. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Get that woke movement crap out of here. 

I’m not woke.  I’m center-right politically and have voted for a Democrat only twice in my life (and I’m not young). (And Wade Hampton used violence to prevent Republicans from gaining office.)

Wade Hampton is simply not a person worth honoring.  

Naming it for someone in the private sector who helped Greenville a lot; naming it for Knox White; or naming it for Albert Einstein as in the post above would all be fine by me.

”Wade Hampton Boulevard” to me equals bad 1970s sprawl.  Renaming it in connection with a major upgrade to the area would be a good move.

Edited by PuppiesandKittens
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

Only rarely should streets, etc be named for people that are still alive. Albert Einstein has no connection to Greenville. 

Albert Einstein does have a connection to Greenville. Again, he has a grand child buried here at Woodlawn Cemetery off of Wade Hampton, he’d visit often due to his son and daughter in law living here, and if I’m not mistaken, he lectured at Furman in Downtown once. 

(Photo of Albert Einstein at Furman)

3C1E69F6-2FC2-4593-9B5F-6ADCF4FB2DE4.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NewlyUpstate said:

Wade Hampton Blvd is named after Wade Hampton III, who yes, was a South Carolinian (but is from Charleston, not Greenville).  Some things he's known for include being one of the largest slave owners in the south east, general in the Confederate army, leader of the Redeemers (after reconstruction, they sought to restore the "South" and enforce white supremacy), then was elected governor after running on policies such as disallowing African Americans from particpating in politics or voting. That election was heavily violent and considered the bloodiest election in the history of the state due to the extreme amount of violence used to dissuade Blacks from voting.. It was highly controversial too and the results were questioned. Wade Hampton was actually placed into office by the state Supreme Court at the time, not necessarily the people.

There's over 50 cities/towns in South Carolina who decided to name streets after this dude. I think USC just recently took his name off one of their residence hall buildings.

I don't think people are angry about him "just owning slaves", its a bit more nuanced than that... I mean from what's known about him, I can only think of one reason why we have anything named after him.

But yes, I think we should actively change the names of things especially egregious, Wade Hampton and Robert E Lee were both leading traitors to the United States and I really can't think of a good reason to maintain those names.  

I get that but then where do we draw the lines? Washington and Lincoln were long revered and now a relatively large of group of people want their names removed from everything, because they find their names offensive and their deeds egregious. People could make an argument against naming things after Einstein because of his role in the creation of the atom bomb. Not everyone in Greenville likes Knox White and thinks he has been good for the city. Greenville is named after Nathaniel Greene, a Revolutionary War General, and a large portion of the country now thinks the entire founding of the country was evil; should we rename Greenville and Greensboro? There has only been one perfect person in the history of the world and his name offends LOTS of people; we can't even say his name in a school for example. You see the issue? It's impossible to accommodate everyone and it's impossible to keep people from being offended if they are looking to be offended.

• Like 1