Jump to content

Headwaters Resort & Casino (Proposed)


Norf Native

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Kevin Cheph Randall said:

Norfolk deserves to fail it undercut Cordish and is the only casino without a national conglomerate to back it. Norfolk casino just seems like a fu*k you to Portsmouth and it rushed everything to one up a city in it's region. Alot of money is also going into shoring up the waterfront how much of the 500 million will be eaten by that alone. Considering that land has sat vacant for 20+yrs I'm sure it won't be cheap. I don't have any inside info other than what I see. And what I've seen is bothersome, had Rivers been this slow I would have the same energy. I've been on these type development forums for quite some time,anytime something is moving slow or not at all it's not a good sign. I can't recall any project being delayed and still living up to expectations and Headwaters is probably no exception. Honestly I'm only returning the energy you'll have for Rivers you all would hate for Rivers to be better because it in Portsmouth and that would sting your Norfolk ego the most. If I'm not mistaken Bristol also will have a temporary location in an effort to be the 1st in Virginia obviously these casinos need skin in the game before Rivers open. The only real casino in Virginia for at least a year or more will be Rivers

 

 

 

I would love for the Portsmouth Casino to succeed, but the nonsensical decisions the city has made in relation to it's location and design really make me question it's viability. Keep in mind, when first proposed, the Portsmouth Casino had a different developer with deep pockets who wanted to put the tallest building in the state downtown and remake the waterfront. That would have, unquestionably, been better than the one that's currently going to be built in Norfolk. But Portsmouth declined, because, reasons...(they didn't want to directly compete with the Norfolk casino, failing to see how they could compliment each other). Fast forward to today, and we have an overgrown Walmart in an unappealing and out of the way location, and a jail that refuses to be moved from the downtown waterfront. So yes, I am less than enthusiastic about the project in its current form.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 minutes ago, vdogg said:

5 miles hits different when you have to travel through that tunnel. Rivers clientele will mostly come from Hampton/NN (from those close to MMBT), Suffolk, Chesapeake, and points south. Now if they had kept it on the waterfront, where ferry's could pass back and forth between the casinos, then it would be a far different story.

5 miles isn't much when tourist will stay in both Norfolk and or Portsmouth and drive as far away as Williamsburg or the Oceanfront. A casino within 5 miles of Downtown Norfolk is a major win for the city until Headwaters comes along. And HR is a Regular area with Regular people, it's not far fetched that the Regular casino would be favored by our rather Regular locals. A resort casino would seem to be more pushed toward tourist to me, so the lion share should go to Rivers probably. 

1 minute ago, vdogg said:

I would love for the Portsmouth Casino to succeed, but the nonsensical decisions the city has made in relation to it's location and design really make me question it's viability. Keep in mind, when first proposed, the Portsmouth Casino had a different developer with deep pockets who wanted to put the tallest building in the state downtown and remake the waterfront. That would have, unquestionably, been better than the one that's currently going to be built in Norfolk. But Portsmouth declined, because, reasons...(they didn't want to directly compete with the Norfolk casino, failing to see how they could compliment each other). Fast forward to today, and we have an overgrown Walmart in an unappealing and out of the way location, and a jail that refuses to be moved from the downtown waterfront. So yes, I am less than enthusiastic about the project in its current form.

The jail will be moved they wouldn't move it without a second location ready, per the sheriff request. Btw it's no way in Hell that area of Portsmouth could support a casino of this size, and please show me a Walmart that looks like Rivers I'll wait ........ Most casinos are large flat building so I'm not sure where tf the Walmart reference is coming from. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few years ago Norfolk and Portsmouth talked about collaborating to unify their two downtowns and their amenities. I forget what the plan entailed but the waterfront casino would've been a great first step. I also remember someone proposed a special ferry or water taxi that would've gone between the two casinos. For that reason, the location they chose for Rivers doesn't make sense to me and seems isolated, considering people already try to avoid the tunnels because of tolls. 

Having been to Baltimore which has multiple casinos and of course Vegas, I think two or more casinos can exist here without stepping on each others' toes. But I think the waterfront location would've worked wonders for downtown Portsmouth way more than a random working class neighborhood.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Kevin Cheph Randall said:

How so? This is the tribal mentality Hampton Roads have to let go of like now. Who care if Norfolk has the best in the area. You understand Rivers is already a win for Norfolk and the region. Norfolk hotels can and will say it's a casino 5 miles from Downtown. The casino adds an amenity this area doesn't have it's a huge positive for the hospitality industry in Norfolk. Especially considering Rivers will be a better  entertainment option than anything Norfolk has to offer now.  

Norfolk or any other city in HR shouldn't feel they deserve better than the next city. This area should only be one city and anything done to help the region should be championed by the region and not force into unnecessary competition and toxicity. That's why SITW left completely, no one area really deserves it because we aren't unified.

 

What do you not understand when I said "area and city as a whole" I hope good for this area as a WHOLE. Meaning everyone in it and all cities near it. I was just saying that Norfolk is going to get the better one because of location and obviously looks. Both obviously will be pulling in people but its their locations and looks that attract either locals or tourist. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, metalman said:

Kevin, out of curiosity, do you work for The Rivers casino or something related to the Portsmouth casino project?  

Good question.  Or maybe he works for Cordish. ;-)  Cordish never got hold of a bone that it didn't grind into dust!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, metalman said:

Kevin, out of curiosity, do you work for The Rivers casino or something related to the Portsmouth casino project?  

No lol

 

12 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Good question.  Or maybe he works for Cordish. ;-)  Cordish never got hold of a bone that it didn't grind into dust!

Cordish got done dirty. But it is what it is. 

On 5/12/2022 at 6:32 PM, BFG said:

A few years ago Norfolk and Portsmouth talked about collaborating to unify their two downtowns and their amenities. I forget what the plan entailed but the waterfront casino would've been a great first step. I also remember someone proposed a special ferry or water taxi that would've gone between the two casinos. For that reason, the location they chose for Rivers doesn't make sense to me and seems isolated, considering people already try to avoid the tunnels because of tolls. 

Having been to Baltimore which has multiple casinos and of course Vegas, I think two or more casinos can exist here without stepping on each others' toes. But I think the waterfront location would've worked wonders for downtown Portsmouth way more than a random working class neighborhood.

It's not just a random neighborhood it's an area of the city that was undeveloped for like the last 20+ yrs. My issue is Portsmouth choose the better location, why? Because Rivers will anchor a new entertainment district in the city, Downtown will also get an added amenity with Headwaters is just a ferry ride away so it's a win win honestly. Now Portsmouth can do other things with it's waterfront like build more residential.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Norva757 said:

good thing about Norfolks casino its right next to Amtrak and light rail...if it gets busy enough there might be more interest in expanding to Vabeach (being hopeful)

It's maddening but VA Beach doesn't want it, and it has more to do with Norfolk's Demographics if you know what I mean.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2022 at 10:45 PM, Norva757 said:

good thing about Norfolks casino its right next to Amtrak and light rail...if it gets busy enough there might be more interest in expanding to Vabeach (being hopeful)

I may not have been alive as long as some of you have, but im old enough to understand that nothing has ever come to fruition in talks of expanding anything from Norfolk to VA beach. And anything that does happen to do so is almost a miracle granted by God himself.   

In other words, I dont think anything will be expanding to VB from Norfolk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2022 at 7:00 AM, HRVA said:

Temporary casino approval heads to city council

Construction and hiring is expected to take six months and it sounds like they expect their license to be issued in July. Hopefully that means a late summer groundbreaking for the permanent casino with the temporary casino opening in early 2023. 

Previously they were hoping for June. Here's hoping there are no further delays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone worried about Richmond scooping Norfolk in the casino department won't have to worry for a few years. They can't even have another referendum on it until 2023.

Quote

The compromise prohibits the city of Richmond from holding another legally enforceable casino referendum until 2023, a nod to the argument made by Sen. Joe Morrissey, D-Richmond, that casino backers shouldn’t be allowed to immediately push the project again after voters rejected it in 2021. The budget also calls for a study of the moneymaking potential of a casino in Petersburg. 

https://www.virginiamercury.com/2022/06/01/after-months-of-wrangling-virginia-has-a-budget-deal-whats-in-it/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Arctic_Tern said:

Anyone worried about Richmond scooping Norfolk in the casino department won't have to worry for a few years. They can't even have another referendum on it until 2023.

https://www.virginiamercury.com/2022/06/01/after-months-of-wrangling-virginia-has-a-budget-deal-whats-in-it/

Thats good for us, at least till next year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/24/2022 at 12:43 PM, HRVA said:

I’m not opposed to the casino, nor a temporary or permanent location at Harbor Park, but the referendum was very specific about the site. Could that be a roadblock to this?  Is there a workaround?

Currents - The Devil’s In The Details: A Small Change Raises Big Questions About the Temporary Casino

Currents covering a concern I expressed previously but raises a potentially bigger issue. If the Lottery Board finds that they knowingly made false/misleading statements then the entire license could be in jeopardy. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Norfolk tables temporary casino for Harbor Park stadium after address snafu

The location in Harbor Park is nixed but they are still aiming for a temporary casino to open in March. 
 

Constructing a temporary casino in Harbor Park’s parking lot — which is the future site of the Headwaters casino and now bears the address of 200 Park Avenue — will allow for a larger gaming facility than originally planned, Thompson said. The temporary casino will open in March 2023, he said.”

Edited by HRVA
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, HRVA said:

Norfolk tables temporary casino for Harbor Park stadium after address snafu

The location in Harbor Park is nixed but they are still aiming for a temporary casino to open in March. 
 

Constructing a temporary casino in Harbor Park’s parking lot — which is the future site of the Headwaters casino and now bears the address of 200 Park Avenue — will allow for a larger gaming facility than originally planned, Thompson said. The temporary casino will open in March 2023, he said.”

So wait, they are building an actual structure?? So will they tear it down to build the actual casino?  This is confusing...

I could not read the article so if this is explained I apologize.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SuffolkWahoo said:

So wait, they are building an actual structure?? So will they tear it down to build the actual casino?  This is confusing...

I could not read the article so if this is explained I apologize.

I agree. There really wasn’t much detail in the article. It sounds like it will be part of the permanent structure.  Hopefully more info will come out today/tomorrow with the lottery board meeting today. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, HRVA said:

I agree. There really wasn’t much detail in the article. It sounds like it will be part of the permanent structure.  Hopefully more info will come out today/tomorrow with the lottery board meeting today. 

Is the meeting today? It sounds like they still might not get license approval for some time.

 "The Virginia Lottery Board is expected to take a vote on whether to approve the Headwaters Resort & Casino’s operating license in the coming months, needed for both the temporary and permanent casino to open.".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At this point we might as well wait until 2024. I know they wanted the first casino in the Commonwealth but why rush to beat Portsmouth? What's one more year?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.