Greater Memphis Area - Suburbs, North Mississippi, East Arkansas

VSRJ

15 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Wow that is an incredible looking development... any one of those buildings alone would be an impressive addition.  The greenhouse reminds me of the Crystal Palace built in London in the 1850's.  And that statue?  My God, if done the right way, it could become absolutely iconic.  Actually, according to this list on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_Hindu_statues, it would be the tallest Hindu statue in the world outside of Southeast Asia, which is incredibly impressive!

Does look incredible.  Probably would only be open to people that are Hindu or of Indian decent.  

1 hour ago, MDC26 said:

Does look incredible.  Probably would only be open to people that are Hindu or of Indian decent.  

In my experience Hindu temples are usually open to anybody and everybody as long as folks attending have respect for where they are.  And that's for actually attending a ceremony inside the temple.  If you're just going to view the grounds outside then I'm quite sure anyone could go.  They're generally extremely welcoming people.   

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Per WREG this morning, Millington is planning upwards of $300 million in new developments through Tax Increment Financing over the next few years to capitalize on the Blue Oval City project currently underway in Haywood County.

https://wreg.com/on-air/live-at-9/live-at-9-300-million-in-tiff-slated-for-major-developments-in-millington/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2022 at 2:37 PM, James Owen said:

Per WREG this morning, Millington is planning upwards of $300 million in new developments through Tax Increment Financing over the next few years to capitalize on the Blue Oval City project currently underway in Haywood County.

https://wreg.com/on-air/live-at-9/live-at-9-300-million-in-tiff-slated-for-major-developments-in-millington/

Would be nice to have Millington as the next up-and-coming suburb, especially with its proximity to downtown. If only I-69 could be built from 385 to TN300 as well as the Second Street extension, which would make the commute faster.

7 minutes ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Would be nice to have Millington as the next up-and-coming suburb, especially with its proximity to downtown. If only I-69 could be built from 385 to TN300 as well as the Second Street extension, which would make the commute faster.

I'm hopeful that Blue Oval City will speed up I-69 getting completely built in Tennessee but haven't heard much about it recently.

14 minutes ago, DRG901 said:

I'm hopeful that Blue Oval City will speed up I-69 getting completely built in Tennessee but haven't heard much about it recently.

Very true. TDOT has got a lot of money invested in the I-55/Crump interchange plus the I-22/Lamar construction as well. Don't know if they can handle I-69 as of yet, although it should've been done a long time ago. West Tennessee needs it. Taking U.S. 51 is too slow and has hindered us for too long.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DRG901 said:

A lack of federal funding for the project has stalled its completion indefinitely here. Not only that, but large sections of I-69 have still not even be built yet along the rest of the planned route going through Mississippi, Arkansas, and Texas.

38 minutes ago, James Owen said:

A lack of federal funding for the project has stalled its completion indefinitely here. Not only that, but large sections of I-69 have still not even be built yet along the rest of the planned route going through Mississippi, Arkansas, and Texas.

That seems like such a shame, especially with the infrastructure bill that passed last fall.  BTW: Have  you seen any infrastructure project kicked off as a direct result?  Memphis has long suffered from poor leadership and representation on every level public/private.... and this may be a prime example.  I've never thought much of Steve Cohen as a person with class/dignity, but he's in the majority in Congress.  You mentioned that I-69 hasn't been built in many areas of AR, MS and TX... but that's where good regional leadership brings together a consortium of representatives, especially when your representative is a member of the majority party. Memphis is smack in the middle of that route, and as noted above the Blue Oval project would benefit greatly from its completion.

This isn't the only example of how it seems to me (an outsider) that Memphis' leaders need to cast their nets wider in their influence and efforts. My wife and one of our kids just visited Memphis.. returned today. Iasked them what they thought. Our adult "child" answered, "I liked it a lot... almost like if New Orleans and Nashville dicided to get together and have a baby." That made me cringe because I know there's a lot more to Memphis that's unique (not defined by any other cit). but I think it's positive.  So much potential, and I know there's a lot of great things bubbilng up downtown and even in other parts of the metro.  I've also heard the airport looks great. I think Memphis is going to be fine, but why is it so painful to watch? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

That seems like such a shame, especially with the infrastructure bill that passed last fall.  BTW: Have  you seen any infrastructure project kicked off as a direct result?  Memphis has long suffered from poor leadership and representation on every level public/private.... and this may be a prime example.  I've never thought much of Steve Cohen as a person with class/dignity, but he's in the majority in Congress.  You mentioned that I-69 hasn't been built in many areas of AR, MS and TX... but that's where good regional leadership brings together a consortium of representatives, especially when your representative is a member of the majority party. Memphis is smack in the middle of that route, and as noted above the Blue Oval project would benefit greatly from its completion.

This isn't the only example of how it seems to me (an outsider) that Memphis' leaders need to cast their nets wider in their influence and efforts. My wife and one of our kids just visited Memphis.. returned today. Iasked them what they thought. Our adult "child" answered, "I liked it a lot... almost like if New Orleans and Nashville dicided to get together and have a baby." That made me cringe because I know there's a lot more to Memphis that's unique (not defined by any other cit). but I think it's positive.  So much potential, and I know there's a lot of great things bubbilng up downtown and even in other parts of the metro.  I've also heard the airport looks great. I think Memphis is going to be fine, but why is it so painful to watch? 

They've actually been working together to push a 3rd bridge over the Mississippi which is greatly needed (as seen last year with one shutdown)-

Debate for a third bridge across the Mississippi River gains support from local lawmakers – FOX13 News Memphis (fox13memphis.com)

From what I recall I-69 has been stalled by both federal and state funding for years, should definitely be pushed and also would add another bridge but farther south in MS.. also still very much needed

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Regional leadership is important, I believe there is one, but it's rarely heard of. The only thing as of late is MATA buses going across the bridge to serve West Memphis again. This is the type of leadership that's needed. From a couple of people from Southaven, I've heard: "Southaven ain't a suburb of Memphis", as if to say they don't want any association with it, which is fine, because that is someone's opinion, but, in the grand scheme of things, the leadership from all TN-AR-MS (mayors, etc.) should want what's best for the region. 

Glad your children liked Memphis! I agree, Memphis is unique, but that is a compliment to say the least. Both New Orleans and Nashville are great cities in their own right (and so is Memphis). I would say it is more like Charleston, SC too in a lot of ways. Plough Blvd. needs to look better - since it is the first thing visitors see.  There is a lot of potential here - just scratching the surface, but we should not look to emulate anyone, just build on the rich culture and history that's already here. Don't try to be Atlanta, don't try to be New Orleans, don't try to be Nashville, with all due respect.

17 minutes ago, DRG901 said:

They've actually been working together to push a 3rd bridge over the Mississippi which is greatly needed (as seen last year with one shutdown)-

Debate for a third bridge across the Mississippi River gains support from local lawmakers – FOX13 News Memphis (fox13memphis.com)

From what I recall I-69 has been stalled by both federal and state funding for years, should definitely be pushed and also would add another bridge but farther south in MS.. also still very much needed

Third bridge...I've always wondered why Memphis has only two, but other major cities along the Mississippi have way more than that.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Regional leadership is important, I believe there is one, but it's rarely heard of. The only thing as of late is MATA buses going across the bridge to serve West Memphis again. This is the type of leadership that's needed. From a couple of people from Southaven, I've heard: "Southaven ain't a suburb of Memphis", as if to say they don't want any association with it, which is fine, because that is someone's opinion, but, in the grand scheme of things, the leadership from all TN-AR-MS (mayors, etc.) should want what's best for the region. 

Glad your children liked Memphis! I agree, Memphis is unique, but that is a compliment to say the least. Both New Orleans and Nashville are great cities in their own right (and so is Memphis). I would say it is more like Charleston, SC too in a lot of ways. Plough Blvd. needs to look better - since it is the first thing visitors see.  There is a lot of potential here - just scratching the surface, but we should not look to emulate anyone, just build on the rich culture and history that's already here. Don't try to be Atlanta, don't try to be New Orleans, don't try to be Nashville, with all due respect.

Third bridge...I've always wondered why Memphis has only two, but other major cities along the Mississippi have way more than that.  

Desperately in need of another bridge.  Memphis is the cross roads of two major transportation corridors that transverse the entire country.  St Louis area has 6, Quad Cities has 4, New Orleans 3, but Baton Rouge just 2.  The problem with Memphis is that the river is at its widest at Memphis, and then there’s all the flood zone farmland on the Arkansas side that the road still has to be elevated over. The Twin Cities area  has 25 bridges/roads over the Mississippi, but the Mississippi is smaller than the Wolf River up there. 

West Tennessee road projects are disproportionately lagging other parts of the state especially Nashville/Davidson County because State Government is feeding its hometown. Well before their hotel boom, Nashville was getting great infrastructure projects such as Korean Veterans Boulevard built which helped provide important infrastructure for the development of Music City Center. With each visit to Nashville, you see new roadways and massive road construction projects. We have a blighted Midtown I-240 that is about as attractive as the trash that litters our highways. How are we going to lure a major corporate headquarters from outside the region when our infrastructure is dated, dilapidated, and dirty. The list of TN FY-23 projects is just another example of how West TN continually gets the shaft. 
https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/community-relations/FY23 Transportation Projects with Counties.pdf

Further harming our local infrastructure, is our local MPO who would rather create unused bike lanes than come up with a working rail system or complete an important road project such as connect I-69 or I-22 to I-240. The MPO must do better a better job for its constituents. The MPO should prioritize infrastructure projects which will grow and improve access to our City, not handicap us like they did for three important projects. The I-55 interchange, North Second Street Project, and Shelby Farms Parkway were delayed approximately 5 years, because the MPO messed up travel demand modeling.  https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/news/government/state/2017/03/09/tdot-places-shelby-farms-parkway-two-other-projects-hold/98910746/

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 10:57 PM, MDC26 said:

Desperately in need of another bridge.  Memphis is the cross roads of two major transportation corridors that transverse the entire country.  St Louis area has 6, Quad Cities has 4, New Orleans 3, but Baton Rouge just 2.  The problem with Memphis is that the river is at its widest at Memphis, and then there’s all the flood zone farmland on the Arkansas side that the road still has to be elevated over. The Twin Cities area  has 25 bridges/roads over the Mississippi, but the Mississippi is smaller than the Wolf River up there. 

I thought New Orleans had more than 3...wow...

Only thing about the third bridge is that it would draw attention away from downtown - but as we saw with the bridge shutdown last year, this region is very important to the economy of the whole country.  A third bridge is definitely needed. I say build it next to the old bridge. The old bridge is not interstate standard. I can't stand those skinny lanes! LOL.

2 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I thought New Orleans had more than 3...wow...

Only thing about the third bridge is that it would draw attention away from downtown - but as we saw with the bridge shutdown last year, this region is very important to the economy of the whole country.  A third bridge is definitely needed. I say build it next to the old bridge. The old bridge is not interstate standard. I can't stand those skinny lanes! LOL.

It's also not up to current seismic codes, and would be cost prohibitive to retrofit. There was a discussion about potentially replacing one of the two existing bridges about a year ago at the time the I-40 bridge shutdown happened: https://dailymemphian.com/article/23495/mississippi-river-hernando-desoto-bridge-behind-the-headlines

Replacing the I-55 bridge with a new one is a short term solution. However, in the long term, the region needs to have 1-2 more bridge crossings over the Mississippi River (ideally, there should be one built north of I-40 and one south of the city as part of I-69). All of this will require federal funding as well as cooperation between the states and its leaders on all levels.

2 hours ago, James Owen said:

It's also not up to current seismic codes, and would be cost prohibitive to retrofit. There was a discussion about potentially replacing one of the two existing bridges about a year ago at the time the I-40 bridge shutdown happened: https://dailymemphian.com/article/23495/mississippi-river-hernando-desoto-bridge-behind-the-headlines

Replacing the I-55 bridge with a new one is a short term solution. However, in the long term, the region needs to have 1-2 more bridge crossings over the Mississippi River (ideally, there should be one built north of I-40 and one south of the city as part of I-69). All of this will require federal funding as well as cooperation between the states and its leaders on all levels.

Two would be awesome, if only there was $3 billion just laying around.  Diverting traffic from going through downtown shouldn’t hurt things at all, and would probably make things better. All those semis going from Arkansas I-55 to TN I-40 or vice versa could take the North Bridge, and traffic from/to Arkansas I-40/M I-55 could take the South Bridge, and both could save 15-20 minutes. The I-55 bridge could be converted to local traffic or just no big rigs. 

23 hours ago, James Owen said:

Well they keep talking about it and nothing is being done. I guess it's too much like right and have asked for a whole lot (2-3 bridges, Second St. extension, I-69 segment from TN300 to TN385) and haven't gotten anything (yet).  Time to call Cohen or Kustoff. LOL.

On 8/2/2022 at 11:36 PM, DowntownUrbanite said:

West Tennessee road projects are disproportionately lagging other parts of the state especially Nashville/Davidson County because State Government is feeding its hometown. Well before their hotel boom, Nashville was getting great infrastructure projects such as Korean Veterans Boulevard built which helped provide important infrastructure for the development of Music City Center. With each visit to Nashville, you see new roadways and massive road construction projects. We have a blighted Midtown I-240 that is about as attractive as the trash that litters our highways. How are we going to lure a major corporate headquarters from outside the region when our infrastructure is dated, dilapidated, and dirty. The list of TN FY-23 projects is just another example of how West TN continually gets the shaft. 
https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/community-relations/FY23 Transportation Projects with Counties.pdf

Further harming our local infrastructure, is our local MPO who would rather create unused bike lanes than come up with a working rail system or complete an important road project such as connect I-69 or I-22 to I-240. The MPO must do better a better job for its constituents. The MPO should prioritize infrastructure projects which will grow and improve access to our City, not handicap us like they did for three important projects. The I-55 interchange, North Second Street Project, and Shelby Farms Parkway were delayed approximately 5 years, because the MPO messed up travel demand modeling.  https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/news/government/state/2017/03/09/tdot-places-shelby-farms-parkway-two-other-projects-hold/98910746/

I would have to agree with you about all of this. Not to bellyache, but you're right, West TN gets the shaft. The I-240/Midtown interchange is blighted and is in desperate need of upgrading. It looks tacky to have one section outdated and farther north on 240/40/Jackson Ave something fairly new. On the other hand, I-240/Poplar interchange has been updated, we got 385, and US 78 is being upgraded. Maybe we're being too greedy? Maybe not?

4 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I would have to agree with you about all of this. Not to bellyache, but you're right, West TN gets the shaft. The I-240/Midtown interchange is blighted and is in desperate need of upgrading. It looks tacky to have one section outdated and farther north on 240/40/Jackson Ave something fairly new. On the other hand, I-240/Poplar interchange has been updated, we got 385, and US 78 is being upgraded. Maybe we're being too greedy? Maybe not?

There were plans by TDOT a few years ago to add a lane of traffic in each direction along I-240/I-69 between the interchanges. Not sure if they included rebuilding the overpasses, retaining walls, etc., but it seems like their focus right now is on more critical/top priority projects including the reconstruction Lamar Avenue/US 78 and the I-55/Crump Interchange currently underway.

18 hours ago, James Owen said:

There were plans by TDOT a few years ago to add a lane of traffic in each direction along I-240/I-69 between the interchanges. Not sure if they included rebuilding the overpasses, retaining walls, etc., but it seems like their focus right now is on more critical/top priority projects including the reconstruction Lamar Avenue/US 78 and the I-55/Crump Interchange currently underway.

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure the Lakeland interchange was priority too. That used to be horrible.

On 8/3/2022 at 6:41 PM, James Owen said:

The I-69 Bridge is slated to cross much farther south than Tunica, even farther south than Helena.  Arkansas will concentrate on I-49 between Ft. Smith and Texarkana before putting any real push on I-69.  In fact, you'll see I-40 6 laned from LIT to MEM before any real work on I-69. Arkansas need to push extend I-57 to LA line along US 67. There needs to be two new bridges for the Memphis. Make use of what MS has built of I-69 and connect it with I-40 around Lehi AR , Run another spur up to the Intermodal facility on the Arkansas side and eve extent it up to around Jericho to Turrell for another crossing to tie into I-69/380 at Millington.  This would route lots of through truck traffic out of Memphis proper. You could even use I-555 and a US 412 upgrade to extend I-22 to NWA and Tulsa. 

Screw an all new I-69 thru South Arkansas, just upgrade US 82 across it and use the fairly new bridge at Lake Village for I-69. 

16 hours ago, Wayward Memphian said:

The I-69 Bridge is slated to cross much farther south than Tunica, even farther south than Helena.  Arkansas will concentrate on I-49 between Ft. Smith and Texarkana before putting any real push on I-69.  In fact, you'll see I-40 6 laned from LIT to MEM before any real work on I-69. Arkansas need to push extend I-57 to LA line along US 67. There needs to be two new bridges for the Memphis. Make use of what MS has built of I-69 and connect it with I-40 around Lehi AR , Run another spur up to the Intermodal facility on the Arkansas side and eve extent it up to around Jericho to Turrell for another crossing to tie into I-69/380 at Millington.  This would route lots of through truck traffic out of Memphis proper. You could even use I-555 and a US 412 upgrade to extend I-22 to NWA and Tulsa. 

Screw an all new I-69 thru South Arkansas, just upgrade US 82 across it and use the fairly new bridge at Lake Village for I-69. 

Yeah, the I-69 bridge would be over 100 miles south of Memphis.  Potentially, it could alleviate some traffic going over the Memphis bridges as an alternate way to go to Texas as opposed to I-40 to I-30.  But that won't be until all portions of I-69 have been completed which won't be for a long time.  Arkansas also plans to extend I-530 from Pine Bluff to I-69.  Definitely not a big push to get I-69 done in Arkansas now, but it could end up happening since a big deal was made about it being a Canada to Mexico interstate.    Your idea to use the Lake Village  bridge and and upgraded US-82 for I-69, does make some sense. They could extend I-530  a little bit more to the South to still connect to it, and still be an overall cheaper plan.  

I-49 has the most push behind it, being lovingly called "The Wal-Mart Highway", as it runs through NWA and will connect KC to Lafayette,LA/I-10.  It's got 150 miles left to be constructed and will traverse the Ouachita mountains, so it may take a while too.

I-57 only needs around 45 miles to be constructed to get to the Missouri line.  Missouri has most of their route insterstate quality, but would have to cut off some access points and build some overpasses/exits.  That is the one that could be completed the quickest, but more money will likely be sent to I-49, before it gets fully funded.  If a bridge crossing was constructed to connect I-40 to I-69/I-269 at the Tunica area, it would probably connect a little further west than Lehi and follow the US-79 route.  A crossing coming from I-69/380 at Millington would be ideal, but would be more difficult due more residential areas in the path and also Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park.  If not for the park, it would line up perfectly to connect to I-555.  It would be great if I-555 could be extended to connect with I-44 at Springfield, but I doubt we will even see US-63  be upgraded to extend I-555 an additional 17 miles to connect to the future I-57.  

Edited by MDC26

Memphis as a whole the city has a grid pattern with quite a few major corridors which makes our interstates less travelled than most.  The biggest issue with our interstate is a consistent 4 lanes around the loop, I40 to frayser interchange needs to be widened to 5 lanes to match all the new lanes from the midtown interchange projects.  The old part of the interstate running through city needs to be widened.

27 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

Yeah, the I-69 bridge would be over 100 miles south of Memphis.  Potentially, it could alleviate some traffic going over the Memphis bridges as an alternate way to go to Texas as opposed to I-40 to I-30.  But that won't be until all portions of I-69 have been completed which won't be for a long time.  Arkansas also plans to extend I-530 from Pine Bluff to I-69.  Definitely not a big push to get I-69 done in Arkansas now, but it could end up happening since a big deal was made about it being a Canada to Mexico interstate.    Your idea to use the Lake Village  bridge and and upgraded US-82 for I-69, does make some sense. They could extend I-530  a little bit more to the South to still connect to it, and still be an overall cheaper plan.  

I-49 has the most push behind it, being lovingly called "The Wal-Mart Highway", as it runs through NWA and will connect KC to Lafayette,LA/I-10.  It's got 150 miles left to be constructed and will traverse the Ouachita mountains, so it may take a while too.

I-57 only needs around 45 miles to be constructed to get to the Missouri line.  Missouri has most of their route insterstate quality, but would have to cut off some access points and build some overpasses/exits.  That is the one that could be completed the quickest, but more money will likely be sent to I-49, before it gets fully funded.  If a bridge crossing was constructed to connect I-40 to I-69/I-269 at the Tunica area, it would probably connect a little further west than Lehi and follow the US-79 route.  A crossing coming from I-69/380 at Millington would be ideal, but would be more difficult due more residential areas in the path and also Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park.  If not for the park, it would line up perfectly to connect to I-555.  It would be great if I-555 could be extended to connect with I-44 at Springfield, but I doubt we will even see US-63  be upgraded to extend I-555 an additional 17 miles to connect to the future I-57.  

On I-530 to Monticello, might as well extend I-57 along this to Monticello. From there, upgrade US 425 to Monroe and then US 165 to Lake Charles. Boom... I-57 from Coast to Chicago.

Cotton and Boozman want an interstate between Tulsa and XNA now. They'll get the US 412 bypass from I-49 to Tontitown and work on the Siloam Springs bypass. Then, I-49 to Sonora on the east side. You will see US 412 also upgraded from Huntsville to Harrison before major moves on I- 69. 

Just now, Wayward Memphian said:

On I-530 to Monticello, might as well extend I-57 along this to Monticello. From there, upgrade US 425 to Monroe and then US 165 to Lake Charles. Boom... I-57 from Coast to Chicago.

Cotton and Boozman want an interstate between Tulsa and XNA now. They'll get the US 412 bypass from I-49 to Tontitown and work on the Siloam Springs bypass. Then, I-49 to Sonora on the east side. You will see US 412 also upgraded from Huntsville to Harrison before major moves on I- 69.  Hell, a east side of Jonesboogie extention of I-555 to Paragould needs to happen before  a I-69 bridge.

On 8/8/2022 at 1:39 PM, Wayward Memphian said:

Red- New southern bridge crossing to I-40 in Arkansas and I-69 in MS.

Orange- extension to intermodal yard and Superproject site

Yellow extention to I-55 and possible alignment of a second new northern bridge crossing to tie in I-69 /TN 389 for a complete I-269 loop. 

Screenshot_20220808-133349_Earth.jpg

We do not need this type of sprawl 

22 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

We do not need this type of sprawl 

I disagree, no one wants to drive through Memphis, This routes lots of through trucks out of the city., basically diverting I-55 traffic from going through Memphis. And...Arkansas would welcome all the sprawl(exonomic development) it can get quite frankly.

At least one new bridge is woefully needed as the bridge closure made perfectly clear. Two would actually give Memphis a "for real" loop. 

All different perspectives I guess. 

• Like 1