Latest State Census Numbers (2018)

arcturus

For July 1 2017 to July 1 2018  Michigan was #22 in population growth at 19,468.

Other Midwest states:  Illinois (49) Indiana (18) Ohio (19) Wisconsin (20).  Indiana pretty much hit it out of the park from a % change.

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/time-series/demo/popest/2010s-national-total.html#par_textimage_2011805803

13 hours ago, arcturus said:

For July 1 2017 to July 1 2018  Michigan was #22 in population growth at 19,468.

Other Midwest states:  Illinois (49) Indiana (18) Ohio (19) Wisconsin (20).  Indiana pretty much hit it out of the park from a % change.

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/time-series/demo/popest/2010s-national-total.html#par_textimage_2011805803

It will be interesting to see the MSA and city estimates when they come out in March 2019. I think GR will top the 200,000 mark. 

Minnesota did pretty well too for being a cold Northern State. I don't think you could pay me enough to move to Indiana though. 

All of the Great Lakes States lost people in the last year. New York, Illinois and California lost a staggering number. 

1252204745_Statepopulationestimates.JPG.549ccf0dc51e10118884ae64bb006bab.JPG

• Like 2

I haven't been keeping track of the annual estimates for states - more so the cities. I guess I am surprised to see that in the last year we have lost almost 17,000 people to domestic migration. I figured with the rise of Grand Rapids and slow resurgence of Detroit that we would start to see that number even out, if not go in the opposite direction. 

Could of been worse.  MI had a pretty decent Int'l net migration number for a state its size (anyone drive through Kentwood lately?).  Historically Detroit has had its fair share too.  But it's hard to offset the continuing migration to the sun belt with the aging demographic.

6 hours ago, GRLaker said:

I haven't been keeping track of the annual estimates for states - more so the cities. I guess I am surprised to see that in the last year we have lost almost 17,000 people to domestic migration. I figured with the rise of Grand Rapids and slow resurgence of Detroit that we would start to see that number even out, if not go in the opposite direction. 

Don't be surprised to see the bulk, or all of that domestic outflow coming from the thumb.  Specifically the area of the northern I-75 corridor (Flint, Saginaw, the thumb) as a region has had a significant hampering impact on Michigan's numbers as a whole.  The Detroit area is still likely suffering from domestic outflow to a degree as well.   

However I will bet that when the county numbers are released in March you will still see positive domestic inflow into W. Michigan.   Grand Rapids and it's CSA has carried the state in over all population increase, as well as domestic inflow gains for the last 15 years.  I think there were a couple of years in the mid 00's where GR had domestic outflow, but it became a Midwestern leader again after the great recession ended. 

5 minutes ago, MJLO said:

Don't be surprised to see the bulk, or all of that domestic outflow coming from the thumb.  Specifically the area of the northern I-75 corridor (Flint, Saginaw, the thumb) as a region has had a significant hampering impact on Michigan's numbers as a whole.  The Detroit area is still likely suffering from domestic outflow to a degree as well.   

However I will bet that when the county numbers are released in March you will still see positive domestic inflow into W. Michigan.   Grand Rapids and it's CSA has carried the state in over all population increase, as well as domestic inflow gains for the last 15 years.  I think there were a couple of years in the mid 00's where GR had domestic outflow, but it became a Midwestern leader again after the great recession ended. 

Don't forget the city of Detroit too. For every thousand residents that move into lofts in Midtown, 10 - 15,000 people move out of the neighborhoods every year.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...