All things relating to wages and rent costs in Orlando

orange87

Florida's minimum wage will go up a whole 21 cents in 2019, from $8.25 to $8.46 and $5.23 to $5.44 tipped. At $8.46 an hour, a minimum wage worker's annual income will be $17,597 before taxes. That's a $437 increase annually or $36 monthly.

Orlando-area rents are rising faster than any other big city in the nation. A new report from Zillow shows average rents in Orlando increased to $1,472 in November, which is slightly above the median U.S. rent of $1,449, a  4.4 percent jump from last year. The only other city that came close to Orlando's figure was Riverside, California, with a 3.9 percent increase and an average rent of $1,925. 

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tip credit is just a credit. A business is still required to pay you minimum wage if your tips do not equal minimum wage in any given week. Orlando's wages, since we are service heavy, are severely underreported as a result of full tips usually not being reported.

However I am curious as to why more apartments are not being built to get the rent under control.

14 hours ago, aent said:

The tip credit is just a credit. A business is still required to pay you minimum wage if your tips do not equal minimum wage in any given week. Orlando's wages, since we are service heavy, are severely underreported as a result of full tips usually not being reported.

However I am curious as to why more apartments are not being built to get the rent under control.

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess it has something to do with government.

Archived