L'burgnative

Puerto Rico as 51st state

Like I mentioned in a different thread I'm furloughed and bored but I just got back from San Juan last week and was very impressed with the city and the "STATE" of Puerto Rice.  Yes you can still see the damage from Hurricane Maria.   I thought the hold up for Puerto Rico to join the union was on their end but recently with some googling and resource the holdup is now on our end.  What do y'all think about Puerto Rico joining the Union?  I thought the Coffee Shop would be the better place for this and y'all are the better crowd to ask than football or car guys; I think there is politicians and big-to-do folks on this site which leads me to think so.  I'm a new found republican and I know I'm not the only one.  I can tell in your post who affiliates with who and the Democrats are the majority here.  I feel this is a bipartisan discussion though but maybe I'm wrong.  They've been hitting Congress for over a year now for Statehood yet our Congress that has not done there jobs in over a decade and can't pass a budget in that same amount of time doesn't do jack.  Puerto Ricans feel like second rate American citizens (they're as much an American as this Tennessee born and raised white boy that's typing this in my opinion) and the more I read the more I agree with them.  They get no vote and only what is dealt to them and in a lot of respects they don't get dealt a fair hand.  They are using the Tennessee Plan right now for Statehood; bittersweet to me since we're Tennessean's here.  Read your history but a lot of Tennesseans fought against the English in our war for Independence but they had no vote and forced there way into statehood.  To me this is blacks not getting a vote during "Poll Tax" Jim Crow Law days or Women not getting there voices heard.  Am I wrong to back there cause?  I'm not trying to be "Politically Correct;"  it's just my opinion.  Give me your opinion. 

Btw; don't grade me on grammar or I'll give you a math exam.

Edited by L'burgnative

I like that too as long as Puerto Rico gets there star.  Politics aside; I know there's a lot out of people out there (especially the media) that loves to bash Trump any and every chance they get.  Yes I'm a Trump supporter and was a registered democrat in Tn but would vote Trump again today.  There was a headline that read "Puerto Rico 51st state; Trump said NO WAY."  It's your typical click bate bull crap he didn't say.  he said "Now is not the best time."  The article was dated back in late September and he knew the battle he'd have now to pass a Budget.  It's my opinion "It's not the best time" means he's working on Congress to finally do there jobs for the first time in a decade to pass a freaking budget... then lets work Puerto Rico into a state by 2021.  Democrats and Republican before Trump has wanted a wall at the Mexican boarder; Trump is saying "GET IT DONE!"  Puerto Rico as a state (just like the wall) has always been bipartisan.

Edited by L'burgnative
  • Like 1

The "wall" is purposeful distraction for the politically naive and a pointless waste of taxpayers dollars. It is a structure analogous to a weighted blanket for an anxious person or a "thunderjacket" for a frightened dog--it provides no actual security other than a sense of security. Illegal immigration will continue unabated (as it always has, though it's been falling since 2008), with the majority of illegal aliens entering legally and simply overstaying their visa limits. I'm no fan of Trump, though he is hardly the first person to dangle carrots in front of the uninformed public to garner votes.

And I agree that now is not the best time. We're seeing increasing deficit spending during a cyclic peak in the economy--we should be working to balance the freaking budget, not building pointless walls or granting statehood to near-insolvent U.S. territories. Are there any actual conservatives left in the Republican party?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Puerto Rican, here, from Caguas, PR. The same Caguas that the eye-wall of Maria passed over, the same Caguas that got [url=https://www.npr.org/2017/09/22/552961177/puerto-rico-dam-fails-as-hurricane-maria-continues-to-plague-residents]~38 inches of rain in a day.[/url] Aside from me my brother and me, our entire family lives in Puerto Rico - parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, EVERYONE. He's in Detroit.

I've thought about this a lot over the years, and I'm not sure where I stand. I'd like to see Puerto Rico at least have a chance at the benefits of statehood, but I'm not sure how it would work out. Truth be told, I'm not bullish on it happening in my lifetime.  Not to mention there is still a section of the population that are staunchly in favor of independence: el Partido Independentista Puertorriqueño, and they make their opinions known. How Puerto Rico would "fit in" as a state is a but of a mystery to me, too. I know there are plenty of sparsely populated areas in the contiguous states, but we're talking about an island roughly 100mi x 35mi that's covered in a lot of jungle and has a very strong  national (I guess?) identity. You think Texans are  proud of being from Texas? We think they're amateurs, lol.

Anyway, it's a complicated subject that will require some frank discussion. Sticky subject for a lot of us. Also, @L'burgnative, did you get to any other places in Puerto Rico, or did you stick to San Juan?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just San Juan.  I knew most the... (I wanted to say the state) was desolate but so is a lot of other states outside there capital.   Some States capitals aren't far from desolate.  From what I gather the population that wants independence is less than 10%.  Much like Texas or any red state.

Edited by L'burgnative

Isn’t the population somewhat evenly divided amongst three camps? At one time it seemed to be; one for becoming a State, one for Independence, and one for keeping the current arrangement? I’ve no iron in this fire per se,  but I support whatever PR wants to do. I’ve spent so much time on the island and truly believe Puerto Rico makes us better. It truly is an enchanting island. I wish more continental Americans knew about it and would visit. 

Edited by memphian

@L'burgnative, I've never heard about Tennessee's problems becoming a state.  Thanks for sharing.  Looks like I need to read a Tennessee history book.

@titanhog, why do you think this will eventually happen?

It's painful to witness Puerto Rico's rapid population decline. San Juan and other metros are hemorrhaging people. And this has been an issue long before Maria hit. Maria sprayed pure methanol on the existing inferno there.

Is the majority of the documented population loss due to emigration for the mainland United States?  I'm aware FL and NYC have significant Puerto Rican ethnic neighborhoods. How many are coming to TN?

@e-dub I'm thrilled you made Nashville and the State of Tennessee your home. Warm welcome from this white bread Irish country boy! Feel free to describe your experience living here. I hope my fellow Tennesseans have treated you with the respect you deserve. Some people forget that Puerto Ricans are Americans.

My hometown, Shelbyville, is home to Tennessee's largest Latino population (by %tage). The arrival of Mexicans, Guatemalans, Hondurans, Dominicans and Colombians was matched with some hostility. But much of the contempt subsided for a general welcome from the city's white and black residents. Today, 40% of Shelbyvillians speak Spanish! 

Similar story in East Tennessee. Knoxville and Morristown's Latin American communities are exploding. I hope they keep coming, because they bring some damn good food with them. (East Tennessee barbecue sucks and needs to be stopped. Bland and spiceless!)

On 1/2/2019 at 8:21 AM, Mr_Bond said:

@titanhog, why do you think this will eventually happen?

Just because the people of Puerto Rico finally seem to be ready for it to happen (compared to the past).  It seems to me it will eventually get to the point the citizens there will either desire to be a state or 100% independent.  It doesn't seem that just being a US territory is working out that well because they don't have as much say (or as many advantages) as a state...but their citizens can easily move to the mainland.  So...some of the shortcomings of being a territory can lead to the island losing population.

I guess a lot now depends upon whether or not the U.S. is now ready for it to happen as well.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:51 AM, titanhog said:

So...some of the shortcomings of being a territory can lead to the island losing population.

I guess a lot now depends upon whether or not the U.S. is now ready for it to happen as well.

The commonwealth arrangement is pretty favorable for PR, in my opinion.  But if the people there want to be truly integrated into the US, they need to become a state.  PR is already the most prosperous Caribbean island, by far.  But becoming a state would catapult them up to mainland US standards of living in a few decades.  This would be due to massive investment from the US because of all the well-established legal conventions that American companies are used to dealing with.  I hope PR becomes a state in the near future. 

• Like 1