Sign in to follow this  
GrSportsGuy

Orbit Room closed for good?

Not surprised. I think a bigger Intersection, 20 Monroe, and the owner dying were the last straw. I’ll be interested to see if this sours redevelopment on the north side of centerpointe. 

Joe

A simple case of others opening or expanding, and this venue fading into obscurity. Though it may not have had the owner not perished. A cool place to see a show,  but it had seen better days.

A good friend of mine worked there back in the day. Word is the owner's son took over after his dad died and he wasn't a pleasant person to be around. The way my friend put it was that he accelerated the closure. 

Good place for a Whole Foods? It'd certainly class up that area. WF's certainly doesn't have to be out on the main drags to get business.

510915459_OrbitRoom.thumb.JPG.30cc32de7f6a82198009088693384698.JPG

51 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Does Visser still own that part of Centerpointe?

Joe

I don't know but Centerpointe Owner LLC is the owner of that Orbit Room building and the same owner of Centerpointe Mall. 

Here ya go, if they buy out the strip club, you'd be able to see the Whole Foods from the Beltline. Would create a whole new section of retail stores too. 

509249595_Wholefoodsidea.thumb.jpg.c31aa9a14e0fd9d8dfbdd1d3442523a0.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Here ya go, if they buy out the strip club, you'd be able to see the Whole Foods from the Beltline. Would create a whole new section of retail stores too. 

509249595_Wholefoodsidea.thumb.jpg.c31aa9a14e0fd9d8dfbdd1d3442523a0.jpg

I was told they were considering the site where Toys R Us was...but I haven’t heard anything more on that. 

• Like 1

I think either of those sites are nice locations (I'm surprised strip clubs are still viable in GR). Seems. The strip club and that retail strip could mark for a nice/new upgrade. I don't recall in my memory that it's ever been redone if at all.

Good  riddance, over the last couple years there has been numerous stories about security being overly aggressive and downright assaulting concert goers. I can’t think of a worse venue in Grand Rapids to see a concert and haven’t been to one there since the late 00’s.

10 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

I was told they were considering the site where Toys R Us was...but I haven’t heard anything more on that. 

Oh yeah, that would be a logical choice. But then where will we all get our Halloween costumes?