12,000 seat outdoor amphitheater back in play for Millennium Park

GRDadof3

This was a surprise. The county received a $5 Million grant from the State of Michigan to start development of the outdoor amphitheater that has been talked about for Millennium Park for about a decade. 

Details aren't finalized, but initial plans call for the construction of an outdoor amphitheater at Millennium Park that could seat more than 12,000 people, said Rich MacKeigan, general manager of the convention center and arena.

It would include covered seating and a lawn, similar to DTE Energy and Music Theater, formerly known as Pine Knob Music Theater.

https://www.mlive.com/expo/news/g66l-2019/01/76e51ca4e74757/grand-rapids-amphitheater-rive.html

4b3_amphitheater.jpeg.7c68aaf5ddb2547447cae4d7cbe056e2.jpeg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

This was a surprise. The county received a $5 Million grant from the State of Michigan to start development of the outdoor amphitheater that has been talked about for Millennium Park for about a decade. 

Details aren't finalized, but initial plans call for the construction of an outdoor amphitheater at Millennium Park that could seat more than 12,000 people, said Rich MacKeigan, general manager of the convention center and arena.

It would include covered seating and a lawn, similar to DTE Energy and Music Theater, formerly known as Pine Knob Music Theater.

https://www.mlive.com/expo/news/g66l-2019/01/76e51ca4e74757/grand-rapids-amphitheater-rive.html

Woah! That is awesome news. I think it could really attract some great shows (especially musicians that are a bit too big for Meijer Gardens).

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Wow...The area's largest stadiums don't even seat 12,000 when not factoring in general admission - including GVSU, 5/3, Van Andel, and Houseman. this will be one big amphitheater.

1 hour ago, GR8scott said:

The sketch looks like a cool layout just wish they would utilize the water and river more like 5/3rd stadium, it backs against the river....also shows 10-13k seats and 500 car parking lot???

That section of the river is not exactly all that attractive. :P  Especially with the constant flooding and low lying mud flats (for lack of a better term). 

25 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

I would have to imagine they would shuttle people from the main parking lots for big events.

This location appears to be outside the current main core of the park.    It's off Butterworth in the east/northeast part of the park, mostly in the City of Grand Rapids.   The site plan shows ped bridge crossing Butterworth "Parkway"  to what I assume is parking across the street.   Kent Trails runs just to the south of the site, linking up with park trails already in place.  Could be fun to bike to an event!

2 hours ago, GR8scott said:

The sketch looks like a cool layout just wish they would utilize the water and river more like 5/3rd stadium, it backs against the river....also shows 10-13k seats and 500 car parking lot???

There's a pedestrian bridge going over Butterworth on that plan. I wonder if they're hoping to add additional parking across the street.

I've really been hoping this would be a reality some day.  12,000 is pretty comparable to others around the country, right between Red Rocks and DTE.  It would be nice to not have to drive to DTE or Tinley Park to see a show.

The only thing that sucks is there's usually only a few ways out and you can sit for awhile after a show.

11 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

I've really been hoping this would be a reality some day.  12,000 is pretty comparable to others around the country, right between Red Rocks and DTE.  It would be nice to not have to drive to DTE or Tinley Park to see a show.

The only thing that sucks is there's usually only a few ways out and you can sit for awhile after a show.

A lot of concert venues are like that. It took us almost two hours to get out of a concert at Soldier Field last summer. Absolutely insane.

The land across the street from Millennium Park in that area is owned by the city. I believe it's used by the GR Police Department as a firing range.

2126544532_MillenniumParknearbyland.thumb.JPG.97efccb7e63d155e3256740213e18570.JPG

I used to live close to Millennium Park, and I have spent many weekend afternoons biking, walking, or running the trails in the Park.  It is a huge park, and the size allows a lot of people to recreate in their own space.  That's fairly unique for a park that is that close to an urban area.  Additionally, to see the reclamation of past industrial space to a wild, open park is very neat.  Personally, I wouldn't want to see an amphitheater placed anywhere in the Park (and from the initial picture, it looks like the proposed location is south of Butterworth in the park boundaries).  Nor would I like to see a soccer stadium, or any other use besides forever wild space.  

Aren't there plenty of open spaces around the GR Metro that could be used for an amphitheater?  One of my favorite things about Chicago is that the entire lakeshore is park land, and because of that, you have beautiful parks between the lake and the concrete jungle of the city.  In the same way, I think Grand Rapids/Kent County would be well served to keep Millennium Park open and wild, as an access to the Grand River.

However, it appears that my opinion is in the minority (at least on this board).  Which is fine, it just certainly isn't what I would do. 

18 minutes ago, cutlervillegr said:

However, it appears that my opinion is in the minority (at least on this board).  Which is fine, it just certainly isn't what I would do. 

I do agree to some extent. It’s pretty peaceful out there and more development might get rid of that unique feeling. 

If anything, an amphitheater is the most I would like to see out there. FMG has done a great job incorporating their venue into a somewhat natural setting, so I think this will be successful.

I feel like the Millenium Park area should serve as a place for us in an urban and suburban area to recharge our batteries. We should not give up the opportunity to save this spot as a nature space. We would regret it in the future.

So just for comparison, Pine Knob/DTE north of Detroit is about 15,000 seats,  3 lanes of highway both directions and an exit pretty much right there.  That can be a traffic disaster on event nights. 

Millennium Park would be similar sized artists at about 12,000 seats, 2 lanes of highway each direction and an exit at Wilson which is already a cluster every rush hour,  It's the only surface street to cross the river between Wealthy and Allendale. 

Anyone want to imagine the traffic on a night when Hootie and the Blowfish and G. Love come to town?  There has got to be consideration for another bridge/exit, maybe at Market. 

On a big night at Picnic Pops out at Cannonsburg I bet they get about 6000 people. Almost all the traffic is coming from the West on Cannonsburg Rd and then leaves to the West on Cannonsburg, not really many alternative routes unless you live in Rockford to the North. It does take some patience but it's not awful.

I highly doubt MDOT is going to build a $20 Million interchange and bridge over the Grand River for this. People will work it out, the police can direct traffic and maybe even have both lanes going in one direction for the before and after rush. Shuttle buses could be set up from downtown out to the venue.

Plus it's West Michigan half the crowd will leave the concert 20 minutes early to not fight traffic. :)

Sounds like Millenium Park is not a done deal.   The latest story on WoodTV is that it is just one of many locations they are considering.  Even went as far to say they think this will happen "if they find the right site".  They want it as close to downtown as possible (which would support the Millenium location...). 
https://www.woodtv.com/news/kent-county/grand-rapids-area-amphitheater-plans-revived/1702344308?fbclid=IwAR1Il5sseuN9iZfM3fljDMW6HPXd9IT8pU_F_VuHe2uSOZZeiwuROLSjNHo

Outside of location (obviously) my second biggest concern about this project is who will be brought on to manage the venue from a booking standpoint. DTE is booked by 313 Presents, which to my knowledge is an in house booking agency with national and world presence for that venue alone. With LiveNation more or less handiling 20 Monroe and some aspects of the Intersection build out it will be curious if they could create there own talent buying agency to compete against Fredrick Meijer’s and not step on LiveNation’s toes. In theory this amplitheatre would be in direct completion with DTE, and touring packages already tend to shy away from double dates in Michigan due to our proximity to Chicago / Detroit. Just some food for thought...

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

Wouldn’t it be the same organization that books Van Andel? They’d be managed by the same people and Van Andel seems to have no problem bringing in acts. 

Joe

Yeah, but same with the old Palace of Auburn Hills and Pine Knob (now DTE).... I have no idea is PSE still operates DTE or not thoug, since the Palace is no longer.

Owned and operated by the same group. Both venues were very active. People enjoy outdoor shows in the summer.

Archived