Packing District / Fairvilla

spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

DPC announces groundbreaking on first multi-family project here in June by Embrey Partners:

https://bungalower.com/2019/01/06/310-unit-multifamily-project-breaking-ground-in-packing-district/

From Bungalower 

...it's a pseudo clone of Mills Park and the Pineloch center where Lucky's is going.  It's a good formula I think...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Just saw that on the news.

QOLHUw5g.jpeg

Looks like a lot of surface parking.

JOOC, wasn't there already a Packing District thread?

I did a search and nothing came up. I think we had been putting it in College Park and now that ground is being turned, I thought it deserved its own thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Universe_Explorer said:

If that becomes a Publix, and they discuss closing the one on Edgewater, there may actually be a full scale riot in College Park...

Ironically, that was once the state of affairs in CP, but with...Winn-Dixie.

There was a W-D (originally a Lovett’s, I think) on Edgewater (where the Dollar Tree is now). The plan was to replace it with the brand-spanking new store at Fairvilla Center. Much angst ensued and both were kept for a couple of decades.

It’s interesting to note how much the grocery business has consolidated over the years. Edgewater once had a W-D, a Publix, a Food Fair, (Fabulous!) Fairway Market and, at the corner with Fairbanks, an A&P.

Today, only the Publix endures. The ‘hood certainly doesn’t have fewer people but it has 80% fewer places to shop. Go figure.

16 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Ironically, that was once the state of affairs in CP, but with...Winn-Dixie.

There was a W-D (originally a Lovett’s, I think) on Edgewater (where the Dollar Tree is now). 

I had no idea there was a Dollar Tree on Edgewater Dr.

Shows what I know.

18 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I checked it out on Google Street View.

How long has it been there?

I wonder if it's tonier than the average suburban Dollar Tree.

Doing a little math, based on this article, Long’s closed in 2006. The Dollar Tree came afterward. IIRC, it came in during the recession so 2008 or 2009 maybe.

https://www.christianretailing.com/index.php/newsletter/latest/27379-longs-christian-announces-closing-of-greater-orlando-store

From Christian Retailing 

I’m not a fan of dollar stores so I’ve never been there.

Edited by spenser1058

12 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Doing a little math, based on this article, Long’s closed in 2006. The Dollar Tree came afterward. IIRC, it came in during the recession so 2008 or 2009 maybe.

https://www.christianretailing.com/index.php/newsletter/latest/27379-longs-christian-announces-closing-of-greater-orlando-store

From Christian Retailing 

I’m not a fan of dollar stores so I’ve never been there.

According to streetview Long's closed somewhere between 2008 and 2009 and Dollar Tree showed up between 2009 and 2011, so your timeline is right.

I think closing the College Park Publix would cause a riot.  Lucky's or Sprouts is all I can imagine going in that Fairvilla area.  I doubt there's room for two Publix near each other like Altamonte/DP/Winter Park have, and it would likely draw some of the Pine Hills crowd toward College Park.

Edited by codypet
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2019 at 12:46 AM, spenser1058 said:

1610 Edgewater Drive (before they moved in, it was Long’s Christian and Bible Store for years.)

A pity.  It should be a marquee in-town neighborhood, but instead it attracts a Dollar Tree store.  I guess the NIMBY folks in College Park are getting what they deserve.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jliv said:

A pity.  It should be a marquee in-town neighborhood, but instead it attracts a Dollar Tree store.  I guess the NIMBY folks in College Park are getting what they deserve.

It popped up right after the recession which I think had some impact on why it happened. There are also still quite a few pockets of CP with lower incomes so it probably works well for them.

I was also thinking CP has loads of kids and a dollar store would be a major plus for them to ride their bikes to (especially since the demise of things like dime stores).

Edited by spenser1058

6 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

It's good to have a wide variety of retail.

Too bad there are no old fashioned Woolworths or McCrorys around anymore.

They'd fit in that area nicely.

I want to say the dime store in College Park was a local one. I think it was McClung’s at Edgewater and Vassar but I’m not at all sure.

My go-to growing up was the Kresge at Parkwood Plaza which closed as soon as the K-mart on West Colonial opened.

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2019 at 8:15 AM, jliv said:

Back when College Park was, for the most part, just a slightly upper-middle class neighborhood, Edgewater was less about tony bistros and over-priced and under-built condos. It was just a nice, local neighborhood shopping district; grocery store, post office, churches, a hardware store - Gabriel's.

There was also one of Orlando's longest-lived camera stores [1940-something to ~1985]. Frank's Photo Supply [nee Heim's Camera] was one of those great old camera stores that used to be in every neighborhood and shopping district, and at least one in every small town in the country.

Edited by Camillo Sitte
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

"The long-awaited Packing District food hall will help anchor a larger redevelopment plan that includes a micro-brewery, signature restaurant and private event space, according to plans released today by Dr. Phillips Charities."

This is going in the Southern Box Co building at Princeton and OBT. To be completed late 2020. 

Also, the 310 apartments at the same intersection, opposite corner are breaking ground next month. 

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/retail-dining-developments/gs-news-packing-district-food-hall-20190522-qguaspd4uffqtfi6nhyagyatmy-story.html

• Like 1