Packing District / Fairvilla

spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Our very own Ken Storey goes in-depth on the Rose Art project in Rosemont.

Rosemont is the poster child for what happens when you go overboard with multi-family in a de facto low income community and now a developer’s proposed solution is to double down.

There are places where this might work, but nothing in the history of this ‘70’s era PUD suggests it will here. This is little more than putting lipstick on Pruitt-Igoe and Cabrini Green. 

The notion, for example, that this is convenient for Lynx users is just ridiculous. The overwhelming majority of entry-level jobs folks in this income category will work at are on the other side of town.

I look forward to being proved wrong here but the plan is just revisiting what made Rosemont go astray in the first place.

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2020/11/26/could-rosemont-provide-a-blueprint-to-helping-fix-orlandos-sprawl-one-developer-thinks-so-and-hopes-artists-will-pick-up-the-cause

From Orlando Weekly

33 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Our very own Ken Storey goes in-depth on the Rose Art project in Rosemont.

Rosemont is the poster child for what happens when you go overboard with multi-family in a de facto low income community and now a developer’s proposed solution is to double down.

There are places where this might work, but nothing in the history of this ‘70’s era PUD suggests it will here. This is little more than putting lipstick on Pruitt-Igoe and Cabrini Green. 

The notion, for example, that this is convenient for Lynx users is just ridiculous. The overwhelming majority of entry-level jobs folks in this income category will work at are on the other side of town.

I look forward to being proved wrong here but the plan is just revisiting what made Rosemont go astray in the first place.

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2020/11/26/could-rosemont-provide-a-blueprint-to-helping-fix-orlandos-sprawl-one-developer-thinks-so-and-hopes-artists-will-pick-up-the-cause

From Orlando Weekly

I like the plan. I think the scale seems a bit much and I think 9 stories is too tall for the area, but conceptually I think it is a very good idea. I feel having the packing district across the street and all the money that is going into it, plus a lot of big names on board will help to move this along. OTOH, I don't think the finished project will look much like what they are pitching.

Drive along JYP from Hwy 50 to Lee... there is a lot going on.

• 1 month later...

For those looking for grocery choices.

ALDI eyes College Park area for newest store

Corner of JYP and Princeton.  Not yet a done deal.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/retail-dining-developments/gs-news-college-park-aldi-20210115-jqkxxi4oojgdxotdpbazfqvlfm-story.html

Remember, the developer recently said a Publix was going to be part of the Packing District project.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This project has added 4 commercial buildings, over 100k sqft,  to the master plan as well as a 5 story parking garage and an adaptive reuse of the Bronco John's Transmission shop.

Phase 1 is moving forward and the timeline says the food hall- with roughly 15 units, a commissary kitchen and 2 restaurant spaces totaling roughly 7000 feet- will open late '21. I'm a bit skeptical, but hopeful. The first apartment building is also scheduled to open in March. Phase 1 also includes 3 outlier restaurant spaces facing the main streets and phase 2 includes a grocery store, which is supposed to be Publix (and an Aldi is looking to build across the street).

All the above, plus parks, the 4Rivers Farm and Toll Brothers townhomes. If everything stays on track this will be quite an extensive remake of a downtrodden area by the end of '22.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/retail-dining-developments/gs-news-packing-district-commercial-20210203-64n3bvj76feidc2zfxkhzmsp7e-story.html

https://packingdistrictorlando.com/

On 2/3/2021 at 9:42 AM, AmIReal said:

This project has added 4 commercial buildings, over 100k sqft,  to the master plan as well as a 5 story parking garage and an adaptive reuse of the Bronco John's Transmission shop.

Phase 1 is moving forward and the timeline says the food hall- with roughly 15 units, a commissary kitchen and 2 restaurant spaces totaling roughly 7000 feet- will open late '21. I'm a bit skeptical, but hopeful. The first apartment building is also scheduled to open in March. Phase 1 also includes 3 outlier restaurant spaces facing the main streets and phase 2 includes a grocery store, which is supposed to be Publix (and an Aldi is looking to build across the street).

All the above, plus parks, the 4Rivers Farm and Toll Brothers townhomes. If everything stays on track this will be quite an extensive remake of a downtrodden area by the end of '22.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/retail-dining-developments/gs-news-packing-district-commercial-20210203-64n3bvj76feidc2zfxkhzmsp7e-story.html

https://packingdistrictorlando.com/

Toll brothers land deal and final townhome design made official last Friday.  “The Brix” expected to break ground this spring. 

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/residential-property-developments/gs-news-brix-toll-brothers-20210207-c6c3hecudvbjjboia5vapt36uu-story.html

Edited by Gtothree2748
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
39 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Rose Art project for Rosemont- Never Mind:

Developer withdraws $1 billion Rosemont development after neighbors rise up
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/real-estate/os-bz-gs-rosemont-development-pulled-20210421-lpjvfiwkfbc2dhgda65s3znyxy-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Hopefully they scale the project back and then resubmit plans that work within the overall structure of the existing neighborhood. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prahaboheme said:

The Sentinel article does say much (shocker) yet essentially nearby residents want a suburban development.

At least the Chief Planner gets it. You can't have a town center with low density housing around it. 

• Like 1

Rosemont .and Rose Art is actually north of Fairvilla, past Lee Road on OBT. It bumps up against Clarcona-Ocoee Road  on the north and Pine Hills Rd and North Lane on the west. Yep, it’s YUGE. I just stuck it in this thread because it didn’t really fit elsewhere.

Now, about Fairvilla Road. It’s one of the county’s older roads (not unlike Apopka -Vineland). It runs from OWG Rd near Ivy Lane all the way to OBT just south of Lee Rd (I suspect before US 441 was built it probably connected somehow or other to Edgewater Dr., which was the original Apopka Road).

It’s also as crooked as a dog’s hind leg. When Mercy Hospital was built, Mercy Drive bisected it as a straight shot between OWG, 50 and Silver Star Rd so the ambulances didn’t crash (there’s one deadly stretch of Fairvilla between Mercy and Silver Star that had some wicked curves and a mean swamp on one side that was particularly deadly). When Princeton was extended in the ‘80’s, it also eclipsed use of the old road

As to what actually constitutes Fairvilla, that’s open to interpretation because, not unlike Vineland, it was long gone by the time I became sentient in the early ‘60’s.

The industrial area along Silver Star Rd was generally considered Fairvilla (including several citrus packing houses), which is likely why Dr. Phillips with their grove background saw fit to name their big shopping center at OBT and what’s now Princeton St. Fairvilla Center.

The neighborhoods along Silver Star and Mercy Dr. fell victim to white flight when Judge Young announced his deseg order in 1970 and never really recovered. 

One interesting factor is that development in the corridor was somewhat limited for decades as there are a lot of wetlands that serve as recharge areas for the Wekiva Basin.

Change tiptoed along trying not to bring too much attention to that  fact for a long time, until we got to Buddy, who has no more interest in the environment than he does in historic buildings and we’ve seen more carte blanche given to developers lately (especially Dr. Phillips) to do what they wish in the area.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 4:41 PM, spenser1058 said:

Now, about Fairvilla Road. It’s one of the county’s older roads (not unlike Apopka -Vineland). It runs from OWG Rd near Ivy Lane all the way to OBT just south of Lee Rd (I suspect before US 441 was built it probably connected somehow or other to Edgewater Dr., which was the original Apopka Road).

It’s also as crooked as a dog’s hind leg. When Mercy Hospital was built, Mercy Drive bisected it as a straight shot between OWG, 50 and Silver Star Rd so the ambulances didn’t crash (there’s one deadly stretch of Fairvilla between Mercy and Silver Star that had some wicked curves and a mean swamp on one side that was particularly deadly). When Princeton was extended in the ‘80’s, it also eclipsed use of the old road

As to what actually constitutes Fairvilla, that’s open to interpretation because, not unlike Vineland, it was long gone by the time I became sentient in the early ‘60’s.

The industrial area along Silver Star Rd was generally considered Fairvilla (including several citrus packing houses), which is likely why Dr. Phillips with their grove background saw fit to name their big shopping center at OBT and what’s now Princeton St. Fairvilla Center.

Visual Aids from 1954  Reminds me of the citrus roads out on the west side of Orange County in what is now Hamlin Groves.

By 1969 Mercy Drive made it straight as an arrow

Edited by codypet

• 3 months later...

As was reported by GS back in January (and posted here), OBJ is also reporting Aldi is committed to a 19,000sqft store facing JYP on the edge of the Packing District. Aldi has still not confirmed the story although City docs verify it.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/08/20/aldi-prepares-another-orlando-store.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_11&cx_artPos=1#cxrecs_s

• Like 1

I will say the style of the apartments that they are building fits this side of town. For some reason the brick like facade just reminds me of old Orlando which is generally more north and east than it is south and west. So this definitely fits on the North part of the town. I'm curious to see how the rest of it is going to turn out though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I will say the style of the apartments that they are building fits this side of town. For some reason the brick like facade just reminds me of old Orlando which is generally more north and east than it is south and west. So this definitely fits on the North part of the town. I'm curious to see how the rest of it is going to turn out though.

Dr. Phillips has always been big on brick buildings that could withstand nuclear attack, even shopping centers like Western Way and Fairvilla. Compare that with today’s big boxes that are basically built to fall apart (something Walmart’s known for) after a decade or so. I’m glad to see the nod to it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Dr. Phillips has always been big on brick buildings that could withstand nuclear attack, even shopping centers like Western Way and Fairvilla. Compare that with today’s big boxes that are basically built to fall apart (something Walmart’s known for) after a decade or so. I’m glad to see the nod to it.

The brick like facade or whatever it is called it's one of the reasons the Hilton and radius are my favorite looking projects in downtown Orlando and I'll give a nod to 520 as well whatever that kind of facade is.

Especially when it is mixed with a more modern touch on the upper parts of the building. 

• Like 2

On 8/25/2021 at 4:26 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

PXL_20210829_182704386.jpg

PXL_20210829_182714701.jpg

PXL_20210829_182751917.jpg

PXL_20210829_182744748.jpg

• Like 2

Orlando’s identity amongst the large Florida cities is that it is not a coastal city.  Brick facades do work very well in Orlando as does indigenous trees / plants like cypress, pine, oak.

Remember the time when the city of Orlando planted cypress trees along Magnolia? I’ll take that anyway over palms.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2021 at 4:33 PM, spenser1058 said:

They're using some reclaimed brick from the site as aggregate for concrete block in some of the projects being developed by Dr. Phillips. 
Here's a photo from the dap design instagram, plus a progress shot of the juice stand.

225993377_867648660512917_3477609141257405860_n.jpg.a2e4fb1c27bf616e12864e57e5948be3.jpg 

dapdesign_-180578548_218743559608651_6090209124128839946_n.thumb.jpg.25f414bd8b36f677b960ff1e384c6092.jpg

dapdesign_-236409090_556191065571306_4424991025526270523_n.thumb.jpg.8dda4814d9f468a9098774dd47b8a856.jpg

Edited by smileguy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1