Radisson Blu | Mixed Use Hotel/Res./Comm [Proposed]

Jernigan

24 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

I would put it at about 200', but maybe a little bit taller if the garage is a multi-floor pedestal that the building is on top of, which could be the case given the smaller site footprint. 

My original thinking was 190 feet but that's without a garage attached under if a garage is attached under depending how many stories I will put it about between 250 and 270

43 minutes ago, ucfpatriot18 said:

“Fort Myers-based Conor Acquisitions has filed plans with the City of Orlando for a new, 19-story mixed-use tower downtown that would be anchored by a 256-key Radisson Blu luxury hotel.”   - from Growthspotter 

AF00D1B6-07E5-4B2E-A4FE-8F99D5D06212.jpeg

Meh. I guess anything is better than an empty lot but this hotel does absolutely nothing for me. Tired of these stubby little 200 foot buildings. Weak af.

Edited by Uncommon
  • Like 4

Well, we all figured given the size it would be about 200', but the design itself is very uninspiring, not the height. Typical Baker Barrios dreck. There are good ways to design a 200' building and bad ways. This is a lazy, bad way. Also, why TF would they put amenities there overlooking a dang bus-stop?  Makes absolutely no sense. BB is the WORST!

Hell, make it a basic square tower with good finishes and put a great deck and crown on top and it would be better than this "design." SMH. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 4

On 1/20/2019 at 7:39 PM, JFW657 said:

Probably right around that.

Forty residential units @ eight units per floor would be five residential floors. 

Two hundred fifty six hotel rooms @ sixteen per floor would be sixteen hotel floors for a total of twenty one floors, or just over 200 feet.

Looks like there might actually be enough room on that parcel to put the garage next to the building rather than under it, pedestal style.

From the growth spotter article, it doesn't sound like there are any plans for an on-site garage at all: Conor has secured off-site parking through an agreement with R&R Palmetto Avenue Ltd., which operates a private garage at 305 N. Palmetto Ave. The developer is seeking a density bonus from the city.

Floor dedication info: 4,250 square feet of retail as well as the hotel lobby and back-of-house operations on the ground floor. The high-design Radisson Blu would have ample meeting space, including a ballroom and breakout areas, and an amenity deck and pool on the third level. The top six floors of the tower would comprise 40 residential units on the "penthouse" levels.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Baker Barrios, you should be reading this, you entitled hacks! 

Take this as some Destructive criticism.  Your designs are awful, and uninspired.

Everybody is sick of it, and we all have no idea why you keep getting the opportunity to "design" the main buildings in this town. 

Of course, this is an expression of my own opinion, but it is also one that is widely held by the general population, and basically, everybody who has glanced upon your pompously pathetic repetitive iterations of banality. 

We are all emphatically un-impressed. 

Do better. 

I hope you and/or your competitors are reading this, if not, at least you should. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Take this as some Destructive criticism.  Your designs are awful, and uninspired.

Everybody is sick of it, and we all have no idea why you keep getting the opportunity to "design" the main buildings in this town. 

Of course, this is an expression of my own opinion, but it is also one that is widely held by the general population, and basically, everybody who has glanced upon your pompously pathetic repetitive iterations of banality. 

Do better. 

I hope you and/or your competitors are reading this, if not, at least you should. 

I do love it when dc gets feisty!

3 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Do better. 

A Fort Myers-based company is developing this property, natch.   You're not going to get inspiring architecture as long as companies from other Southern cities come in with limited vision and taste.  Baker Barrios' designs are only a reflection of their clients' requirements.  You'll only get international-level design if you have an international audience.   It isn't specific to Orlando.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On the bright side, given the location of the parcel where this thing is supposed to go, clustered in between The Vue and SkyHouse, and with BOA, The Courthouse and eventually, possibly Zoi House blocking the sightlines from I-4, it will be almost invisible until you come right up on it. 

So, there's that... :unsure:

• Haha 1

This design is hot garbage, client request or not. As a design firm, it should be incumbent upon the architect to lead their uninformed clients down a path that creates a design both expedient to the client's needs and also respectful of the built environment and the needs of the general public. 

This is not a profession that has no obligation to the public. I'm sorry, but you need to pass basic qualification of knowledge, ethics, and public service to hold a license to practice this combination of an art/service, and you must meet basic standards of the public in addition to your clientele. We should react to this bottom-of-the-barrel design and call them out with outrage. At least in the architectural review phase. 

This is needed to stop this lazy and cheap design from continuing to mar our built environment. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I do love it when dc gets feisty!

I like to think that in general, I am an agreeable person, but at times, yeah. . . 

I am just somebody with informed opinions, strongly held and well articulated?

No offense, but sometimes the truth, as observed, needs to be said in public. . . 

SoapBox.jpg

• Like 1

Also, I did use "mar" in a sentence, coherently. So that's probably the first time y'all seen that this year, perhaps. 

I'm all about them high-falutin' words and phrases to articulate my thoughts. They are no better than regular words, but sometimes can be more distinct in slight ways to convey what is trying to be said by my mind. So sorry, that's how that thing works. I cannot control it or temper the message it chooses to convey. It doos what it doos. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

Maybe my abilities are not on par with an opponent who would choose to mar my selection of words,

Insofar as it might insubordinate my ability to convince my audience that what I have stated, thus far, may be valid from now until the death of our star. . .  

Tiptoes off into the wilderness. . . 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Haha 1