Radisson Blu | Mixed Use Hotel/Res./Comm [Proposed]

Jernigan

6 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Well, god probably made food trucks and tacos for a reason, 

And I would like to think that reason is to fuel vocabularily inclined rants on the internet after midnight. 

I might be misguided in this assumption, but who am I to judge? 

Our sunshine is the Nancy Reagan of taco addiction: JUST SAY NO! Except MX Tacos, of course.

This design is hot garbage, client request or not. As a design firm, it should be incumbent upon the architect to lead their uninformed clients down a path that creates a design both expedient to the client's needs and also respectful of the built environment and the needs of the general public. 

This is not a profession that has no obligation to the public. I'm sorry, but you need to pass basic qualification of knowledge, ethics, and public service to hold a license to practice this combination of an art/service, and you must meet basic standards of the public in addition to your clientele. We should react to this bottom-of-the-barrel design and call them out with outrage. At least in the architectural review phase. 

This is needed to stop this lazy and cheap design from continuing to mar our built environment. 

I totally agree, and I’ve always bemoaned architecture done as both an afterthought and an insult to the community whom has to live with the awful design decisions into perpetuity. Perhaps “best practice” design needs more proactive advocacy than a review committee. Not sure how you would advocate those ideals. A city “style guide”, perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Found some other renderings of this. Not quite as bad as initial reaction based on the other angles, but still pretty bland design with blocky blue glass and white stucco. I have no idea what the heck that truss looking thing is on the top of the south side of the building. 

Roof gimmick.

De rigueur for Orlando.

36 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Found some other renderings of this. Not quite as bad as initial reaction based on the other angles, but still pretty bland design with blocky blue glass and white stucco. I have no idea what the heck that truss looking thing is on the top of the south side of the building. 

rad-2.png

rad-3-696x438.png

I saw these on another site. 

I think it looks okay now.

What I like I'd that it's on the Lymmo route just as Zoi, and X Orlando. More people near transit connected to the parks, arts, and education facilities the better for downtown. I'm all for it. 

Regarding height it appears to be as tall as SkyHouse

19 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

The local news has picked up on it now....

At the end, Horhay Esteves was about to say that if it goes up, it will be only the fourth Radisson Blu in the country and the first in the Southeast.

I’ve seen quite a lot of press for it - which I found strange. Maybe this is for real for real. 

I kinda like the roof thing - only because it’s unique. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DreS0803 said:

although I’m not too impressed with the design, it’s definitely filling in an ugly lot. Hopefully it’ll get better throughout the review process. Either way it’ll help downtown become more dense

That's my view as well. The proposed building isn't too impressive; but it's an unexpected huge improvement over what's currently there.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bqknight said:

I’ve seen quite a lot of press for it - which I found strange. Maybe this is for real for real. 

I kinda like the roof thing - only because it’s unique. 

Yeah, I called it a gimmick, but I actually like it, too.

Looks pretty cool.

And I've always liked that "high tech" look the truss design lends to things.

I agree with Dres. I don't like the design, but I like the location and the infill. The side with the glass looks a lot better than what we saw before, but overall, just the fact that it adds more density to Livingston area along with the other proposed buildings is a plus. Livingston is kind of a wasteland right now despite the main bus stop right at the courthouse. More density and population in the area will do a lot for ground traffic and sustaining businesses. Right now, the only thing on that stretch that has remained open is Subway. (Which I patronize at least once a week because it's the only option). 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Right now, the only thing on that stretch that has remained open is Subway. (Which I patronize at least once a week because it's the only option). 

The lady interviewed in that news report brought up a good point. She said there's almost nowhere to eat in that area and she said the hotel will likely have a restaurant in it which should help.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, orange87 said:

The lady interviewed in that news report brought up a good point. She said there's almost nowhere to eat in that area and she said the hotel will likely have a restaurant in it which should help.

There’s no where to eat after lunch.   

1 minute ago, JFW657 said:

I hate when that happens.

Whenever I'm done eating lunch, and there's nowhere left to eat.

Because I've already eaten everywhere there is.

That's what you meant, right? :P

That reminds me of when the old Morrison’s serving line downtown closed for lunch at 2pm and then what did you do?

3 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Get in the car and head for the nearest Denny's?

In those days, it would have been Uncle John’s Pancake House on East Colonial or Chastain’s on OBT.

https://www.cardcow.com/169286/chastains-restaurant-23-north-orange-blossom-trail-orlando-florida/

Edited by spenser1058

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

In those days, it would have been Uncle John’s Pancake House on East Colonial or Chastain’s on OBT.

https://www.cardcow.com/169286/chastains-restaurant-23-north-orange-blossom-trail-orlando-florida/

Fun fact: I went to jr. high and high school with a girl, last name of Chastain, whose family owned Chastain's. 

True story.

I think it was her uncle who owned Chastain's while her father owned a couple of Burger Chef franchises over in Brevard County. Her father might have also had a percentage interest in Chastain's too, but it's been so long I can't remember such details.

At any rate, one of my two or three best buddies dated her for a couple of years or more. Junior and Senior years and for awhile after HS. Her and I were pretty good friends, too. I took her out on one date a few years after they broke up and she was home on leave from the Army.

The redest of red hair. 

• Like 1