• vdogg pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

This development is on the agenda for Tuesday’s council meeting for rezoning.    But what I noticed was a new development planned for the St Paul’s district.  Look at the 4th bullet.

In  the spirit of continuing dialogue and information sharing, begun at the joint meeting of the Norfolk City Planning Commission and the Norfolk School Board, Iwould like to share information regarding proposed land use developments that could impact the Norfolk school system. The City of Norfolk has received applications for four proposed apartment complexes, all of which are planning to apply for Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC) in March 2019. The developments are as follows:

• Riverside Apartments at 5827 Curlew Drive. The Franklin Johnston Group proposes to build 236 apartments. The application is on the December 13, 2018 City Planning Commission agenda for arezoningandconditionalusepermit.
• American Cigar Factory at 1140 E. Princess Anne Road. S.L. Nusbaum proposes to build 118 apartments. The application is on the December 13, 2018 City Planning Commission agenda for a rezoning and conditional use permit.
• 630 Tidewater Drive Apartments at 630 Tidewater Drive. The Lawson Companies propose to build 160 apartments. The application is on the December 13, 2018 City Planning Commission agenda for a rezoning and conditional use permit.
• St. Paul's Transit Center at the southwest corner of Fenchurch Street and Wood Street. The Franklin Johnston Group, in partnership with Brinshore, proposes to build approximately 105 apartments. They are not on an agenda yet and are still working on design issues. They may be on the January agenda.

Typically, only one application will receive the LIHTCfunds each year so not all will proceed to construction on the same timeline. Planning Department staff continues to work with school staff to provide upcoming development information for use in school planning and projections, but Iwanted to make sure you are aware of the significant number of proposed projects. Planning staff currently prepares a "Pending Land Use Actions" report for City Council (2-3 times per month) that details applications received and site plans approved for a set time period. I have attached a copy for your review. If this would be useful to you and other members of the School Board, we would be happy to make it available on an ongoing basis. Please advise if you would like to be added to our email list.

Edited by Norf native
  • Like 2

This is a great development. It is expanding past st Paul's already with a nice urban look.  Having the parking lot front May Ave is fine. The orientation of the complex works.

I think they'll have a hard time selling the apartments giving the area around it, but it is a worthy addition to Norfolk.

On 1/26/2019 at 9:47 PM, Norf native said:

• American Cigar Factory at 1140 E. Princess Anne Road. S.L. Nusbaum proposes to build 118 apartments. The application is on the December 13, 2018 City Planning Commission agenda for a rezoning and conditional use permit.

That would be the DEMOLISHED American Cigar Factory building.  Too little, too late.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 9:47 PM, Norf native said:

• Riverside Apartments at 5827 Curlew Drive. The Franklin Johnston Group proposes to build 236 apartments. The application is on the December 13, 2018 City Planning Commission agenda for arezoningandconditionalusepermit.

Will they force this one through after this reaction? 

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/article_dea4aeec-2332-11e9-bb4f-177cd944bcc2.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

37 minutes ago, BeagleAccountant said:

I don't think I can support that project. We need to do better. Don't just accept any suburban crap and slap the TOD moniker on it. I agree with the residents.

47 minutes ago, BeagleAccountant said:

I think this gets approved. The city needs each of these developments as they move forward with the SPQ plans. It might not meet the original vision but with the expansion of light rail into VB suspended indefinitely, that vision is not realistic. 

I appreciate Commissioner Murphys comments regarding some of the comments made at the hearing.  NIMBYs tend to show their true colors at these types of things and frequently get away with it  

I find it funny that in the article discussing an apartment development in VB, the commenters complain that the rents will be too high. And this article the residents complain that this development will include low-income tenants. I’d put money on each group having the same response if the developments were flipped. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BeagleAccountant said:

It needs a redesign. I agree it looks suburban and cookie-cutter. If you want TOD, give it a more urban look with retail on the ground floor. Don’t just make it another generic apartment complex like you see in VB and Chesapeake. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, 23320 said:

Norfolk council OKs controversial apartments near Military Highway light rail station - Virginian Pilot

The Curlew Drive Proposal was approved by a 6-1 vote with Riddick being the only vote in opposition. 

Wrong thread for this one. You posted the one by the light rail. The thread is for the one at Tidewater and Brambleton.... though both are generic looking. :tw_pensive:

28 minutes ago, zeppelin14 said:

Wrong thread for this one. You posted the one by the light rail. The thread is for the one at Tidewater and Brambleton.... though both are generic looking. :tw_pensive:

I understand but it was being discussed in the previous posts in this thread… 

• 1 year later...

Wait...

Virginia Beach developer Lawson will commence construction at 630 Tidewater Drive in Norfolk, VA. The former U.S. Post Office on the corner of Tidewater Drive and Brambleton Avenue will be the site of Market Heights Apartments, a 164-unit LIHTC (Low Income Housing Tax Credit) affordable housing community.

The Post Office is the next block up, (Fen)Church and Brambleton. Tidewater and Brambleton is next to Ruffner Middle. As far as I know, nothing is officially planned for the old Post Office site yet.

• 7 months later...

Construction is progressing nicely on this project. I didn’t have time to snap a picture but there is one building 3-4 stories tall and what looks like two other buildings with the foundation laid about to go vertical. It’s great to see this area starting to progress.

Edited by varider
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • vdogg changed the title to Market Heights (Completed)
  • vdogg unpinned this topic