SangreRaVen

The District at Midtown

Even though none of the NWA cities are as big as Little Rock, they are on an aggregate basis.  But many brands decide to make their investments away from Little Rock because of the behavior of the consumer in our market.  Just as you state above, you couldn't care less about Top Golf and I'm sure that's a shared sentiment among many of the people that live in town.  Red Robin decided to locate in Saline County rather than Little Rock.  We push national brands away all the time.  Quite frankly that's the reason why we don't have things that other cities have because we don't support them.  Buy local shop local.  I'm sure many people in Little Rock are just fine with that.  But to answer your question that's why Top Golf wouldn't be successful in Little Rock or North Little Rock.  

Top Golf locations are often like Cracker Barrel.  Access is often screwed up but they demand visibility from the highway so that's why the NWA Top Golf is located where it is.  

RE: the population drop point you speak about.  I can understand the argument that the population drop might be due to reduction in birth rates.  But all the areas that are growing also experience similar and in some cases larger decreases in birth rate.  Yet they still grow at significant rates.  Faulkner, Saline, Benton, Washington Counties all experienced similar drops in birth rate but all grew at significant paces as compared to Little Rock and North Little Rock that dropped in population in 2016 onward.  I think Orian locating to NLR and new apartment construction probably helped it stabilize.  In looking at real estate both in commercial and residential, it can be seen that migration away from Little Rock has been occurring at least the last five years.  That's simply information that can't be seen in a census report or a news article.  Take that for what it's worth.  

For what it’s worth, I’m referencing Metroplan’s own assessment of population trends. They’re the ones that state that the net migration for Little Rock hasn’t really changed, but it’s the declining birth rates that have led to what they determined was a small population drop the past two years. And yes, the declining birth rate applies equally (statistically) to all of those cities, but their population didn’t drop because their net migration/growth is and has been higher than Little Rock for a long time.

p.s. By referencing NWA as a smaller market, I mean literally. There’s a difference of 200,000 people. You’d have to remove Little Rock itself from the Central Arkansas MSA for it to be the same size as NWA MSA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, LRretail said:

Even though none of the NWA cities are as big as Little Rock, they are on an aggregate basis.  But many brands decide to make their investments away from Little Rock because of the behavior of the consumer in our market.  Just as you state above, you couldn't care less about Top Golf and I'm sure that's a shared sentiment among many of the people that live in town.  Red Robin decided to locate in Saline County rather than Little Rock.  We push national brands away all the time.  Quite frankly that's the reason why we don't have things that other cities have because we don't support them.  Buy local shop local.  I'm sure many people in Little Rock are just fine with that.  But to answer your question that's why Top Golf wouldn't be successful in Little Rock or North Little Rock.  

Top Golf locations are often like Cracker Barrel.  Access is often screwed up but they demand visibility from the highway so that's why the NWA Top Golf is located where it is.  

RE: the population drop point you speak about.  I can understand the argument that the population drop might be due to reduction in birth rates.  But all the areas that are growing also experience similar and in some cases larger decreases in birth rate.  Yet they still grow at significant rates.  Faulkner, Saline, Benton, Washington Counties all experienced similar drops in birth rate but all grew at significant paces as compared to Little Rock and North Little Rock that dropped in population in 2016 onward.  I think Orian locating to NLR and new apartment construction probably helped it stabilize.  In looking at real estate both in commercial and residential, it can be seen that migration away from Little Rock has been occurring at least the last five years.  That's simply information that can't be seen in a census report or a news article.  Take that for what it's worth.  

Top Golf, while not a fan of the chain, chose Northwest Arkansas over Little Rock as their first Arkansas location due to high visibility from a major intersection as well as high volume of request and interests from the community . The Rogers Regional Chamber of Commerce tries very hard to lure future national chains and investors to develop future developments unique to the region (I know some interesting developments for the future in the Northwest Arkansas that cannot be shared at this time) by offering incentives to potential investors such as property tax breaks. The new mayor tries to bring business unique to the market such as Top Golf to the region but there’s no way he can convince real estate investors to open a location in the market giving the lack of interest from the community along with high property tax. I agree with you regarding the lack of  city’s support of chains (La Madeline is a prime example) in favor of local chains and mom and pop business though I don’t see anything wrong with that. Lack of support of national chains will prevent other chains currently not present in the market (Joe’s Crab Shack, Cheesecake Factory, Pappadeaux, etc) from locating here. Also, the former Mimi’s Cafe and Macaroni Grill buildings  has been vacate for awhile now with no interest of any restaurants chain taking over the space as of now. That says it all about the Little Rock restaurant market. 

Edited by ecity3138