Lake House - Ivanhoe Village

opivys85

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I hope whichever of y'all that rented this place will invite the rest of us over to scope it out... I'll bring snacks.

"An owner of the recently completed high-end Lake House apartment project — on North Ivanhoe Boulevard west of North Orange Avenue near downtown Orlando — confirmed to OBJ the three-bedroom, three-bath penthouse was leased. .. the apartment unit was listed in November 2020 for $12,360 a month,..roughly 3,513-square-foot apartment ... has two balconies, a waterfall kitchen counter, floor-to-ceiling wine fridge, hardwood floors and the ability to mount seven TVs in the great room. Both balconies have retractable doors to allow a breeze to enter the unit..."

Sweet!

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/06/07/orlando-florida-luxury-apartment-lease.html

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I hope whichever of y'all that rented this place will invite the rest of us over to scope it out... I'll bring snacks.

"An owner of the recently completed high-end Lake House apartment project — on North Ivanhoe Boulevard west of North Orange Avenue near downtown Orlando — confirmed to OBJ the three-bedroom, three-bath penthouse was leased. .. the apartment unit was listed in November 2020 for $12,360 a month,..roughly 3,513-square-foot apartment ... has two balconies, a waterfall kitchen counter, floor-to-ceiling wine fridge, hardwood floors and the ability to mount seven TVs in the great room. Both balconies have retractable doors to allow a breeze to enter the unit..."

Sweet!

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/06/07/orlando-florida-luxury-apartment-lease.html

I bet it was @prahaboheme! :-)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

150k a year to rent? Has to be a Magic player right?

That was the first thought in my mind.  The draft is coming up but I doubt even with the Magic's position in the lottery that any of the rookies would be eyeing it.  The big names are mostly gone.  Maybe Mo or Fultz?  

4 hours ago, codypet said:

That was the first thought in my mind.  The draft is coming up but I doubt even with the Magic's position in the lottery that any of the rookies would be eyeing it.  The big names are mostly gone.  Maybe Mo or Fultz?  

Could be one of our newer Magic millionaires;  Gary Harris will make $21M next year. Wendell Carter will make $7M. They're new to town, but I'm not sure they should expect to be here very long.

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/orlando_magic/

Great project.  But shouldn't there have been a wall between their base and the parking lot behind Greek Corner and the row of industrial buildings fronting Orange Ave right there?  I wouldn't want to be on the 1st floor.

Also, why isn't the City more concerned about lack of developable lake frontage and forcing developers to have smaller footprints with taller towers?  This building's footprint is very similar to a row of condos in Ponce Inlet that are around 7 stories each.  There, they've got lots of shoreline and a height restriction, which is stupid IMO. 

I guess they can't mandate the terms of a real estate deal, but they can enforce density requirements.

I know noone ever expected a project like this right there, so it's like a "win", but this type of thing should be better planned for.  

Attention, Developers: You are not going to go to hell if you build a thinner tower taller...especially on the water.  But you will go to hell if you waste that land with shorter projects!

I mean, think about it...that Park Lake condo tower on Colonial across from Park Lake was built in either the late 1970's or early 1980's and it's close to 20 stories; looks like a typical Daytona beach condo tower.  Have we devolved that much since then that developers act like they are aborting fetuses if they build a residential building in downtown Orlando that is skinny and tall?  WTF?  And then there's nothing but a bunch of butt slapping and hand shaking like it was some great accomplishment to build a low rise residential building...on the water, mind you...with tilt wall construction at that...

I'm getting very jaded.

I now believe that on the whole, the Orlando housing market downtown is either not that strong, where banks still don't want to lend like they do in other cities, or, downtown Orlando and their brilliant yellow DTO sign are just a bunch of amateurs allowing cheap crap to get built and not mandating more from a design perspective.

Park Lake Tower, man, how embarassing to go from that back then to this now.  In Chicago, you had Outer Drive East built in the Late '50's at around 30 stories on the lake with a covered pool.  Aside from those Mies towers build near the Hancock a couple years later that were shorter, everything built since has been double, triple, quadruple the size.

Orlando just plain flat out sucks.  The only smart thing they did was say no to the Steelhouse-like proposed density of the Sentinel property a few years back, and get UCF and EA downtown.  Aside from that, dunno...now I'm rambling and PMS'ing again.

Park Lake Towers is 17 stories plus double floor lobby and basement so yeah 20 stories. I would love to know what kind of fight it was to get that built then or were people less crappy about new tall things?

PLT is about to get a 6 month structural fix on its parking deck so glad to be getting out of there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Park Lake Towers is 17 stories plus double floor lobby and basement so yeah 20 stories. I would love to know what kind of fight it was to get that built then or were people less crappy about new tall things?

PLT is about to get a 6 month structural fix on its parking deck so glad to be getting out of there.

The doctors who built it (in the ‘70’s) built it on the site of the Orthopedic Clinic (they moved to WP and it later was renamed Jewett Clinic - sound familiar).

At the time the doctors were incredibly well regarded in town and the neighborhood still was in Carl’s “we can’t do nuthin’ phase”. So there was very little pushback.

Most people did think they had gotten out over their skis and it didn’t sell well. Like most downtown condos built back then, it ended up either in receivership or bankruptcy or what ever. Many years later, it became somewhat more popular with refurbs.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Pretty much the only way this would work was with the FinFrock Modular system type construction. IIRC, they originally proposed a building that was about 2-3 stories higher on the main part, with less stubby "wings".  12 stories is about max for that FinFrock type style for it to be most cost effective (see also Orange and Robinson apartments DT).  They were seeking a variance to build that dense with that building height, and the neighborhood complained. So they had to compromise to get it approved and get the financials/pro forma to work.  Even so, their rents had to be pretty high for the market, and required a transition to less units/more upscale and larger units to make the numbers work. 

This was all well covered in Bungalower and some local development news sources. 

• Like 1

^^

great points.  I keep forgetting about the NIMBY's.  And I know there is a give and take with height and rent and costs.  It's just...all the stuff I said in my prior post is a story that has no end in Orlando.  But I do appreciate the project for what it is and what it represents for the present and the future, but that's all we really have in Orlando, is these groups of projects we really appreciate for...filling vacant lots...for example...and doing not necessarily the bare minimum, but just a little bit more than that.

Remember when Fairchild was on the city’s landmark list?

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2015/02/Orlando-Local-Landmarks-Narratives1.pdf

Who care about one of the city’s icons, when we can pave paradise and build concrete to the sky, not to mention what was supposed to become Orlando’s answer to Little Five Points.

Once upon a time, there was a vision. Now, there is just boredom.

Build We Must! Or as the Seven Dwarfs would sing , “we don’t know what we (build) ‘em for, we just (build, build, builda build build).

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Remember when Fairchild was on the city’s landmark list?

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2015/02/Orlando-Local-Landmarks-Narratives1.pdf

Who care about one of the city’s icons, when we can pave paradise and build concrete to the sky, not to mention what was supposed to become Orlando’s answer to Little Five Points.

Once upon a time, there was a vision. Now, there is just boredom.

Build We Must! Or as the Seven Dwarfs would sing , “we don’t know what we (build) ‘em for, we just (build, build, builda build build).

Fairchild was certainly an interesting building. Sadly, it was unused 90% of the time and did not add to the fabric of the community- other than being interesting in appearance. Regardless, the people that owned it were offered a butt load of money to sell it and now the building shall live on in memories (sad ones, I might add) and the new building can become the keystone to invigorating the neighborhood... I'll take it.

Buildings have a life cycle. Some are worth extending, but this one as not.

Btw, the sign was on the landmark registry- not the building.

Edited by AmIReal
  • Like 1

I also personally think this was one of the more creative and better developments in Orlando in the time I have lived here. 

It is crazy about how people can simultaneously complain about high rents and affordability and lack of density/height and infill and at the same time have stupid zoning and NIMBYs that can change the conditions and requirements for GF retail that may never get filled on every street instead of clustered in high density areas where it would make more sense. 

There must be a bit more attention paid to urban planning in America, and in Orlando as well to address the reality of situations. 

• Like 2