Lake House - Ivanhoe Village

opivys85

• 2 months later...

Be interesting to see how this changes the game in Orlando.

The high-end Lake House apartment development near downtown Orlando has traded hands for a record-breaking price per unit, according to Orange County records.

The 252-unit property at 295 NE Ivanhoe Blvd.in the trendy Ivanhoe Village neighborhood near downtown Orlando sold on Oct. 27 for $132.5 million, or more than $525,793 per unit, according to county records.

It was sold by 111 Lake House JV LLC, an entity related to Winter Park-based OneEleven Residential LLC, to MQMF Lake House Orlando LLC, which is related to Dallas-based Lincoln Property Co. John A. Zeledon was listed as a manager of 111 Lake House JV LLC.

2 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

The 252-unit property at 295 NE Ivanhoe Blvd.in the trendy Ivanhoe Village neighborhood near downtown Orlando sold on Oct. 27 for $132.5 million, or more than $525,793 per unit, according to county records.

At those prices, and the red-hot appeal of the local neighborhood, I'm surprised these parcels remain under-developed, given they share the same owner:

377433381_Screenshot2021-11-10at16_21_35.thumb.png.8d413a1aae1118429884e3423572f285.png:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I would hate to lose Lake Ivanhoe Shores as they have an authentic deco quality to them which goes back to construction I think in the ‘40’s or early ‘50’s.

They could definitely do some amazing upgrades to them like those done to the Quaker apartments across from Lake Highland Prep.

You are right about the authenticity there. If it were located in a different part of town upgrades may be the best option. But there is a much better use for this property, and it would be a huge missed opportunity to not redevelop. 

The downtown area desperately needs more urban upscale and luxury offerings. This is the best area for that. 

14 minutes ago, orlandocity87 said:

I don't know guys...there are a lot of parking lots, empty lots, and warehouses in the immediate area that would make for much better redevelopment. It would be a real shame to lose 92 relatively affordable, historic 1930s apartments. Otherwise we'll end up with another neighborhood where you can rent for $2,200/month or buy a small house for $450,000, with no options in between.

I'd much rather see this big parking lot and out-of-place office building right on Orange redeveloped into something dense—along with an extension of the bike trail.

image.thumb.png.0781d902b1172709aeb899b046b16cec.png

Understandable, but the more urban and better a city becomes the less affordable it is. There is value in urbanism. So if we want a more urban city, that is more walkable, with better transit option, better retail and commercial offerings, etc. It’s going to cost more to live. We can’t expect growth without a cost.

the apartments are cool, but it’s not worth saving at the sacrifice of developing a more dense and urban area. 

Just now, Urbo said:

Understandable, but the more urban and better a city becomes the less affordable it is. There is value in urbanism. So if we want a more urban city, that is more walkable, with better transit option, better retail and commercial offerings, etc. It’s going to cost more to live. We can’t expect growth without a cost.

the apartments are cool, but it’s not worth saving at the sacrifice of developing a more dense and urban area. 

There’s a huge lot of land right next door with very little going on that would be perfect for development. The pink apartments are also a right of passage for many people in the area. Talk to almost anyone in college park or lake ivanhoe who’s lived there for a while and they’ll have their story of either living there or knowing someone who lived there. 

I understand bulldozing the apartments if everything else is fully built up but we’re not anywhere close to that point. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orlandocity87 said:

I don't know guys...there are a lot of parking lots, empty lots, and warehouses in the immediate area that would make for much better redevelopment. It would be a real shame to lose 92 relatively affordable, historic 1930s apartments. Otherwise we'll end up with another neighborhood where you can rent for $2,200/month or buy a small house for $450,000, with no options in between.

I'd much rather see this big parking lot and out-of-place office building right on Orange redeveloped into something dense—along with an extension of the bike trail.

image.thumb.png.0781d902b1172709aeb899b046b16cec.png

That's part of KCG.  I'm sure that's what's next on the development list.  I can't see KCG holding on in a sea of engineering firm acquisitions.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, orlandocity87 said:

Valid points, but these apartments are a prime example of "missing middle housing" that's critical for real urbanism: https://missingmiddlehousing.com/ 

I absolutely agree, and I'm all in on missing middle housing. I just believe there is a better use for this specific property that can bring more value to the neighborhood and Orlando as a whole, and would want to see the site redeveloped at some point. There is demand for high density, mixed use development in this area.  And if the city embraces it the neighborhood will become more creative and lively. I would love to see more missing middle housing, but I would also like to see more higher quality places and experiences in the core of Orlando. Ivanhoe Village is the perfect location for high quality, upscale developments, and The Lake House is the evidence. I would expect the surrounding sites to continue and improve upon that path, and would encourage others to be Yes In My Back Yard within Ivanhoe Village.

20 hours ago, Urbo said:

I absolutely agree, and I'm all in on missing middle housing. I just believe there is a better use for this specific property that can bring more value to the neighborhood and Orlando as a whole, and would want to see the site redeveloped at some point. There is demand for high density, mixed use development in this area.  And if the city embraces it the neighborhood will become more creative and lively. I would love to see more missing middle housing, but I would also like to see more higher quality places and experiences in the core of Orlando. Ivanhoe Village is the perfect location for high quality, upscale developments, and The Lake House is the evidence. I would expect the surrounding sites to continue and improve upon that path, and would encourage others to be Yes In My Back Yard within Ivanhoe Village.

Let’s redevelop all those parking lots within the .5 mile radius of Lake House before starting an inquisition on the only affordable  housing left in the neighborhood. 

• Like 4

Let’s see - they’ve already bulldozed the Fairchild Chapel and the sign which goes back to the ‘20’s, the unique HoJo from the ‘40’s, the Brookhaven building is scheduled to go and no one is particularly optimistic about the OUC building.

Now we want to take out the ‘40’s Lake Ivanhoe Shores.  I always wonder - when you demolish everything that made a neighborhood interesting (we haven’t even talked about the funky little bars on Virginia) , what makes it any different from Anyplace, USA (aka a taller Lake Mary)?

This is just like Robert Moses trying to bulldoze Greenwich Village and the developers who wanted to bulldoze the SoBe deco district (whose funkiness upon restoration is what brought Miami back from the dead and is one of the most photographed neighborhoods in the world).

Let’s make Orlando as generic as possible, right?

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, codypet said:

That KCG is mostly parking lot.  That's the most logical choice, and you're not keeping anything particularly notable.   I believe it started life as a garage too.

image.png.b9c50e5a694c11c7627a1f94d923526c.png

image.thumb.png.23e7e5c031f0f26d00642395c0cef414.png

This is a great opportunity to connect the existing retail strips to the North and South of the site to make a more cohesive corridor.  With the antique stores backed in by Lakehouse and narrow strip between Orange and the tracks to the North,  I think the area would retain a lot of its character while increasing housing units.   As for the pink apartments, let's keep 'em.  Although the I4 widening has the highway right up against the back of some of those buildings now.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, codypet said:

That KCG is mostly parking lot.  That's the most logical choice, and you're not keeping anything particularly notable.   I believe it started life as a garage too.

image.png.b9c50e5a694c11c7627a1f94d923526c.png

image.thumb.png.23e7e5c031f0f26d00642395c0cef414.png

If it’s only a strip parking area, rock on and build to the sky!

1 minute ago, smileguy said:

This is a great opportunity to connect the existing retail strips to the North and South of the site to make a more cohesive corridor.  With the antique stores backed in by Lakehouse and narrow strip between Orange and the tracks to the North,  I think the area would retain a lot of its character while increasing housing units.   As for the pink apartments, let's keep 'em.  Although the I4 widening has the highway right up against the back of some of those buildings now.

Don’t even get me started on I-4…

There’s a rumor that the unique ‘50’s -‘60’s Garden Chapel and the entry gate to Orwin Manor may be next to come up. And the hits just keep on coming *sigh*

19 minutes ago, sethM said:

Wasn’t it a huge outdoor swimming pool way back in the day? 

The Coliseum was on Orange Ave. (it was a huge roller skating rink that also had a lot of shows and bands) and had a public swimming pool (the Aquaseum) behind it. Around the corner (on New Hampshire?) was the Bowlaseum. The Magic Entertainment Complex would be jealous!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

I want to say the Coliseum caught fire in about the early 70’s and the Kemps (I think they still owned it) chose not to rebuild and all of it closed and was torn down shortly thereafter.

I went to swim at the Aquaseum many times as a kid before we got a house with a pool. It seemed ancient (I think it was from the ‘20’s). To my young eyes, the Coliseum looked like a Mediterranean castle and both the pool and the main building seemed gargantuan. Otoh, the Bowlaseum seemed teeny compared to newer alleys like Parkwood that had 32 lanes.

Here’s a story from the Sentinel which also notes the fate of the swimming pool:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1997-11-16-9711140951-story.html

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1