Truist - New HQ (BB&T-SunTrust Merger)

dubone

16 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Still big news in Atlanta another story from AJC  

https://www.ajc.com/business/charlotte-notches-another-win-over-atlanta-bank-wars/koHiIx7xcngZJltdcQlvII/

It evidently really irks Atlanta that Charlotte has this new combined banks HQ! 

Some good quotes in there.  This one I agree with:

“It is a loss,” he said. “Even if we retain a lot of employees for this market, where the corporate headquarters goes likely has a lot of implications for the corporate services firms, the lawyers and where that spending goes.”

Charlotte being able to flex its muscles to consolidate headquarters from the rest of the South East continues to be a big driver of growth.  The corporate services firms are particularly strong.

Edited by Desert Power
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Curious as to what some of you guys think the effect SunTrust will have on apartment towers? 

I wonder if this will make some developers move forward with developments or so. 

No effect until job numbers are announced.  But what it shows all of central Charlotte will continue to see apartment development.  As the SunBTrust bank HQ will be uptown most likely the tech center could be in SouthEnd or somewhere else.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, MACyr said:

Georgians are obviously used to thinking that their capital city is the be all and end all in the South.  They never tire of belittling others as wannabes.  I hate to tell them but Georgia was a penal colony for a reason.  Not even Georgians vacation in Georgia.  Georgia "beaches"?  Swamps.  Georgia's "mountains".  Hills.  In the 21st century, it's a battle of city-states.  If our legislature gets their heads out of their posteriors we could easy get our film and tv industry, and the millions in free advertising it brings, back.  The diversity of filming locations alone in NC is unmatched in the eastern US.  Cry me a river Georgia. 

Had to get that off my chest.  Feel better now.  Thank you for the venue to rant.  Commence firing.

PS are Georgians really so dense that AJC readers might not know where Charlotte is?   "Charlotte, NC".  LOL.  

Listing the state after the city is in the AP Style  Book (pretty sure The NY Times one as well).

There are exceptions: for example, when writing about a city in the same state as the publication. Also, iirc, you didn’t have to add the state for the top 25 or so cities in the US as they were presumed to be familiar. The only problem is that I don’t think the list of cities has been updated since God was a child (for example, did you know Charleston was one of the five largest cities in 1790 - things do change).

I also was reminded of what we used to say when I lived in Virginia-Highland back in the Dark Ages: “Atlanta is a great city - only trouble is, it’s surrounded by Georgia.”

Little did I know at the time as a native Floridian that my home state’s government would lose its collective mind after 1998 and I can now say pretty much the same thing here in the City Beautiful. But I digress.

• Haha 1

My wife, born in Darlington SC, does some of these lines in her best accent to raucous approval if encouraged sufficiently.

Also, if one has never heard Rosalind Richardson speak, wife of Jerry Richardson, you will have been transported to the Old South. She was born and raised in Florence, SC. Hers is a magnificent southern accent, cultured, privileged, feminine. The greatest failing of thepress during the Richardson ownership period was to never interview her.

Edited by tarhoosier

9 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I’ve decided I’d like SunTrust HQ to be on the Greens Lunch land. I can’t wait for the ballpark to be completely hemmed in with buildings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you mean the vacant land beside the Greens Lunch building?

Just now, CLT704 said:

^Wishful thinking or insider knowledge? :ph34r:

Wouldn't the whole lot have to be taken up? especially for the 1,500ft mega tower they're gonna build ;) 

No. SydneyCarton is drawing up some plans based off his favorite Manhattan Towers that will be 12’x12’ and will be the tallest tower outside of NYC and will make us bigly world class 

renderings below depending on how much space suntrust needs 

BhUx36nIUAASePA.jpg-large.jpeg?resize=64

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The Greens lot was my original choice up thread too (excluding the actual resturant). To me, that last vacant piece of land sandwiched between the ballpark and romare is the most prime piece of land uptown currently...more so than anything on stonewall imo. You are a block away from the streetcar line, close proximity to gateway station, you front the most popular park in uptown, and you have naming rights on the ballpark right next to you. Also, would be a nice compliment to the FNB tower across the way. No brainer in my opinion. Yes, the whole LU site is hot right now, but would like bbt/sun trust to chart their own direction (also wouldn't have to play 2nd fiddle to BOA @ LU). I'm just really shocked that someone hasn't already snatched that lot up to begin with. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

The Greens lot was my original choice up thread too (excluding the actual resturant). To me, that last vacant piece of land sandwiched between the ballpark and romare is the most prime piece of land uptown currently...more so than anything on stonewall imo. You are a block away from the streetcar line, close proximity to gateway station, you front the most popular park in uptown, and you have naming rights on the ballpark right next to you. Also, would be a nice compliment to the FNB tower across the way. No brainer in my opinion. Yes, the whole LU site is hot right now, but would like bbt/sun trust to chart their own direction (also wouldn't have to play 2nd fiddle to BOA @ LU). I'm just really shocked that someone hasn't already snatched that lot up to begin with. 

Actually think the most prime land, and nobody thinks of it as prime is the plaza in front of Mimosa Grill, which was only ever meant to temporarily a plaza. This was the location of Four First Union, and I think it could be developed one day. I think suntrust will want a big lot tho, and I could see them imploding the original duke building and building big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Good grief ATL here is another story about the loss of the Sun Trust HQ.  Maybe we should send down the Billy Graham Disaster relief prayer team.  

They are tore up from the floor up in the ATL.   

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/atlanta-loses-two-big-corporate-hqs-but-city-remains-magnet/Cq05DE9H72K5TJm7gQuZQJ/

I'm sure they had concern and compassion when they got corproate relocations from other states.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I could see them imploding the original duke building and building big.

Sounds like they're planning a permanent HQ then, bah to the idea that CLT is only temporary. That does sound amazing and you're teasing us !! lol

I do not feel bad for Georgia- ever since they snatched our filming industry(though that was our legislation’s fault. Georgia is like a deluded North Carolina. They have mountains- not as many and not as high. They have beaches- not as many and not as beautiful. They have other cities over 100,000 people- not as big, and not as prominent. Maybe I’m being Petty after reading those “we lost to tiny little Charlotte” articles from Atlanta newspapers. 

Do they always expect to be the big dog in the south? You have a city with a metro around 2.5 million people, 6th busiest airport,  just 4 hours away if that. And Charlotte is growing at a faster rate. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, NcSc74 said:

I'm sure they had concern and compassion when they got corproate relocations from other states.  

No, they just use it as an example of how the Atlanta, GA sprawopolis is master of the known universe and that they are "world class" because has their biggest hub there. 

BTW, what the Georgia chamber of commerce misses in their touting of the "massive" population of the Atlanta MSA is that being the only city of any consequence for 100 miles means no local competition.  It also means the MSA has been able to grow geographically to approximately the same size as CLT-GSO-RDU combined.  The point should be, given it's in the US,  the lack of competition, its status as state capital, the invention of air conditioning, automobile, and airplane, if Atlanta wasn't a large city today, it would be an anomaly.  

Edited by MACyr
  • Like 1

Sounds like they're planning a permanent HQ then, bah to the idea that CLT is only temporary. That does sound amazing and you're teasing us !! lol

I’m teasing myself. I, like everyone outside of that boardroom, am completely ignorant of the process