Truist - New HQ (BB&T-SunTrust Merger)

dubone

7 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

I think the response to corporate branding is amazing. If anything, picking such a weird name is giving them great publicity. We have MULTIPLE pages now about the name of a bank most of us probably have 0 relationship with. People prefer to complain so if they had done a "good" name or boring name like "Trust Bank" this would have gotten like 3 replies on here and it would have been in the footer of the news.

Instead they are getting a ton of publicity for Truist because people think its weird and worth talking about.... something nobody could say about legacy BB&T. By the end of the week everybody will know Truist and they didn't even have to run a commercial.

Eh. Idk I think they care more about institutional money than free publicity by us talking about it. I think they had some fairly clueless marketing people that said it tested well in a small group. Who knows, but it is still a bad name and I wouldn't be shocked if it changes again before the merger is completed. 

15 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I think they had some fairly clueless marketing people that said it tested well in a small group. Who knows, but it is still a bad name and I wouldn't be shocked if it changes again before the merger is completed. 

"The two companies partnered with Interbrand, a global brand consultancy, to lead in the development of the new name and brand identity,” bragged a press release from the soon-to-be-Truist banks. “The rigorous, data-driven brand development process prioritized input from BB&T associates, SunTrust teammates and clients. Through focus groups and analytical research, these stakeholders shared their expectations and aspirations for the new brand, which led to the name revealed today.”

That's even worse LOL - I will say is it really that much worse than some of the other banking brands out there?  I remember the first time I saw a Fifth/Third bank with a giant 5/3 logo on the branch....I thought that was the dumbest name for a bank I had ever heard.  Another one in the top 15 largest U.S. banks is State Street...doesn't exactly grab me.  

1 hour ago, J-Rob said:

If Truist buys Hearst maybe they can work brighter/more versatile LEDs into the purchase agreement.  I know the lights were replaced recently, but something brighter/more versatile would highlight their new HQ even more.

Truist won't buy Hearst.  

3 minutes ago, queensguy06 said:

"The two companies partnered with Interbrand, a global brand consultancy, to lead in the development of the new name and brand identity,” bragged a press release from the soon-to-be-Truist banks. “The rigorous, data-driven brand development process prioritized input from BB&T associates, SunTrust teammates and clients. Through focus groups and analytical research, these stakeholders shared their expectations and aspirations for the new brand, which led to the name revealed today.”

That's even worse LOL - I will say is it really that much worse than some of the other banking brands out there?  I remember the first time I saw a Fifth/Third bank with a giant 5/3 logo on the branch....I thought that was the dumbest name for a bank I had ever heard.  Another one in the top 15 largest U.S. banks is State Street...doesn't exactly grab me.  

The name Truist just seems so gimmicky for a financial institution. Will be interesting to see what type of campaign they launch to infuse this brand with gravitas and credibility. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lancer22 said:

They have a negotiated purchase option...…..

Maybe.  I mean they still have to actually complete the merger, but they'd be paying a hefty premium for that building.  My memory is Cousins paid $330ish million for it, and that was a premium over the construction cost.

another  more accurate article about the merged Truist bank and their lease possible purchase on Hearst (which I do believe they will buy)  It is 561,000 sq ft and BofA leases 315,000 sq ft or so.  As I stated both banks like to own buildings and especially their HQ and they take a long term view of this as real estate is a bank's 2nd largest expense after people. 

https://www.cpexecutive.com/post/merged-bbt-suntrust-banks-to-lease-most-of-charlotte-tower/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DEnd said:

Maybe.  I mean they still have to actually complete the merger, but they'd be paying a hefty premium for that building.  My memory is Cousins paid $330ish million for it, and that was a premium over the construction cost.

Thats a small price for a Fortune150 company's HQ building.

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin