Truist - New HQ (BB&T-SunTrust Merger)

dubone

35 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Actually think the most prime land, and nobody thinks of it as prime is the plaza in front of Mimosa Grill, which was only ever meant to temporarily a plaza. This was the location of Four First Union, and I think it could be developed one day. I think suntrust will want a big lot tho, and I could see them imploding the original duke building and building big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The entire plaza or just the piece even with Mimosa?  Some type of 5th-Street style infill with keeping the rest of the plaza how the atrium opens would be interesting.  

On a related tangent, what used to occupy the space under 2 Wells where Amelie's currently is?  I cannot recall for anything right now.

a prominent new bank like SunBBTrust will want a prominent location.  I think if they build new which once we hear about how many people they anticipate I would say Legacy 3 on S Tryon or maybe anchor a new tower on N Tryon.  What if for example they decided to anchor a 30 plus story tower on N Tryon near the newly restored Hall House/Barringer hotel.  

The thing I think is funny about these Atlanta articles is how wounded they feel.  As someone stated they did not show concern for Greenwich CT when UPS moved there or northern NJ where Mercedes Benz moved their North American HQ.   So they lost 2 Fortune 500 HQs is short order so has the Charlotte area over the years like with Family Dollar and others.  Atlanta will continue to be the BIGGEST business metro in the south with over 5 million people but there is enough business to go around to cities like Charlotte.  I like Atlanta as a huge major city but compared to Charlotte I would consider this metro much more livable and a better size.  

Wait until ATL Hartsfield loses their title as the worlds busiest airport they will be more gnashing of the teeth and woe is me.   They don't seem to like prosperity being spread to other cities like Charlotte, Nashville and Raleigh.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

If this doesn't end up at Hal Marshall, I'll....well, I won't really do anything, since I'm just speculating, but I really suspect it does:

1) Large enough to build multiple buildings over time.

2) Signage with Brookshire and Independence presence.

3) Best transit connectivity in the future with proposed Silver line routing.

4) Accelerating growth just north of Uptown.

5) Ability to "anchor" that district.

6) Adjacent to UNCC MBA building which is great recruiting tool.

This would be my longer-term guess too, I just think it will be a while after a lot of other projects actually get underway (besides just Market 42).  I worry about alot of these.

42 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

On a related tangent, what used to occupy the space under 2 Wells where Amelie's currently is?  I cannot recall for anything right now.

It was a cafeteria style restaurant with some awesome 80s style neon signage. I think it was called "college place" 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, tozmervo said:

It was a cafeteria style restaurant with some awesome 80s style neon signage. I think it was called "college place" 

It was indeed called 'College Place' run by the same guy that used to have a few restaurants around town called 'Nelson's'. Before that, it was part of the parking deck if I recall correctly. All of the grey granite along college was part of that renovation in the late '80s-early '90s that created the restaurants, shops, and entry to the basement level of Two Wells Fargo.

1 hour ago, CLT> said:
On 2/10/2019 at 4:03 PM, tozmervo said:

It was indeed called 'College Place' run by the same guy that used to have a few restaurants around town called 'Nelson's'. Before that, it was part of the parking deck if I recall correctly. All of the grey granite along college was part of that renovation in the late '80s-early '90s that created the restaurants, shops, and entry to the basement level of Two Wells Fargo.

I remember the neon now, but never went in there

The more I've been thinking about it, the more I think this is going to LU. There is more than enough land there to build out (assuming GS/LH banks the Duke bldg.) and it is in the Epicenter of where all the banks are moving (WF consolidating into DEC, BofA inv banking moving to LU, Regions, Ally, etc). 

• Like 2

I don't  know where the new Suntrust-BBT HQ will go, but me thinks this will be a 700-800' office tower with a high end hotel component.... Maybe this is where we finally get a W or some other luxury brand not currently in the market. I get that the current BB&T CEO isn't a flashy guy, but when you're now the 6th biggest bank, you need some of this imo...

16 minutes ago, HopHead said:

I don't  know where the new Suntrust-BBT HQ will go, but me thinks this will be a 700-800' office tower with a high end hotel component.... Maybe this is where we finally get a W or some other luxury brand not currently in the market. I get that the current BB&T CEO isn't a flashy guy, but when you're now the 6th biggest bank, you need some of this imo...

well in atlanta he has close to 6000 hotel rooms within a 3 block walk :-o

The more I've been thinking about it, the more I think this is going to LU. There is more than enough land there to build out (assuming GS/LH banks the Duke bldg.) and it is in the Epicenter of where all the banks are moving (WF consolidating into DEC, BofA inv banking moving to LU, Regions, Ally, etc). 

Serious question: is the 5th largest parking deck in the world not enough to turn off a major company looking to make a splash and create waves of their own? I wouldn’t want my employees parking in that thing if there were other options.

I like NCRR because it is near both blue line and gold line. It is centrally located and they could build an 800 ft tower that stands in the middle of, and above central Uptown.

I like Hal Marshall because they could build their own campus while transforming a section of Uptown. HM is also near blue line and recommended silver line. At HM, they could put their creative/tech teams north of town like Duke did with Optimist Hall, and they would be connected by light rail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-Rob said:

Serious question: is the 5th largest parking deck in the world not enough to turn off a major company looking to make a splash and create waves of their own? I wouldn’t want my employees parking in that thing if there were other options.

I like NCRR because it is near both blue line and gold line. It is centrally located and they could build an 800 ft tower that stands in the middle of, and above central Uptown.

I like Hal Marshall because they could build their own campus while transforming a section of Uptown. HM is also near blue line and recommended silver line. At HM, they could put their creative/tech teams north of town like Duke did with Optimist Hall, and they would be connected by light rail.

Or to play devils advocate. You have a spot where you can offer ample parking, with close and easy highway access for those Managing Directors that live on Lake Norman.  You are still only a few blocks from the light rail for all your junior analysts, plus you have quick and easy access to your new SouthEnd tech and innovation center.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J-Rob said:

I can't imagine a scenario where Parking would turn a major company off. Maybe if Ben & Jerry's was moving to Charlotte. 

49 minutes ago, EllAyyDub said:

*puts on tinfoil hat*

SunBB&Trust is moving their HQ, but specifically Technology and innovation department to Charlotte. Where do the tech/young people seem to congregate? South End. Suntrust Plaza in Atlanta was developed by Portman. Who has a big development site in South End?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunTrust_Plaza?wprov=sfti1

:dontknow:

Yea I thought that too. I"m just not sure Portman Hawkins is big enough. I have a call with Portman today, but everytime I ask about tenants, they say they aren't to that part of exploration yet.

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Yea I thought that too. I"m just not sure Portman Hawkins is big enough. I have a call with Portman today, but everytime I ask about tenants, they say they aren't to that part of exploration yet.

I think a new bank like SunTrustBBigBank will want a high profile Tryon St address for its HQ no offense to Hawkins but for their tech center maybe on Hawkins but they may need a bigger space than that for this tech center.   However anywhere uptown would be good for their tech center they will just have to build UP and tall. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I think a new bank like SunTrustBBigBank will want a high profile Tryon St address for its HQ no offense to Hawkins but for their tech center maybe on Hawkins but they may need a bigger space than that for this tech center.   However anywhere uptown would be good for their tech center they will just have to build UP and tall. 

I think Portman, Beacon Scaleybark (Team NoLoSo), Beacon Common Square, and CK Design Center are all prime candidates.

• Like 1

The deal won't close until 4th quarter and any major building could be a couple years after that given that they each have some existing space.  It could coincide time-wise with the building of Gateway station pretty perfectly.  On top of being a new development that they could anchor it could be a symbolic move because train lines run to both Atlanta and WS.

Both Atlanta and Charlotte are extremely car dependent but the distance is kind of the perfect distance for a train ride (annoyingly long to drive, but too close for plane).  For people coming in for the day or for 2 days, being right where the train gets in could be a draw.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYtoCLT said:

The deal won't close until 4th quarter and any major building could be a couple years after that given that they each have some existing space.  It could coincide time-wise with the building of Gateway station pretty perfectly.  On top of being a new development that they could anchor it could be a symbolic move because train lines run to both Atlanta and WS.

Both Atlanta and Charlotte are extremely car dependent but the distance is kind of the perfect distance for a train ride (annoyingly long to drive, but too close for plane).  For people coming in for the day or for 2 days, being right where the train gets in could be a draw.  

I agree that Gateway may be a very good choice for BB&T. As the resident train pedant I do need to point out that there is not currently rail passenger service to Winston-Salem. There is an Amtrak thruway bus that picks up passengers at the High Point station and ferries them to downtown Winston (and makes the reverse trip) -- but no actual rail service at this time.

A Winston loop train is in the plans for SEHSR but no telling when that might happen.