Truist - New HQ (BB&T-SunTrust Merger)

dubone

On 7/15/2020 at 2:17 PM, DH17 said:

We have to be patient, but I think this may be the first post-COVID development Uptown. 

May also need to.....double our expectations as well. 

Glad to see this is officially moving along! Heard it was on track but this may be our first post-covid big development. 

Truist will occupy both towers in the rendering. In between, the smaller building will be a hotel of some sort, but that seems less definite given the struggles in the industry. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DH17 said:

Glad to see this is officially moving along! Heard it was on track but this may be our first post-covid big development. 

Truist will occupy both towers in the rendering. In between, the smaller building will be a hotel of some sort, but that seems less definite given the struggles in the industry. 

Are you certain? The second tower shown appears residential (note balconies etc..). Unless the design shown is not final perhaps.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Tyree Ricardo said:

That is not part of inlivian's project, you cannot see Inlivians in this rendering, very strategically. That is a separate residential towerr.

Looking around on Google Earth it looks like that residential tower is the current meck police dept land and a parking lot. That sound right?

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Tyree Ricardo said:

correct.

Except for the potential demolition of the hall house this multifaceted development of the area is looking really promising.

It might have been said before and I'm just blanking but has it been shared who will develop that land?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CLTNative said:

I heard a rumor that some of the Interior deco/gothic elements, specifically elevator lobby lights and the college street staircase, are being replaced. I’ve not been uptown in months, so I haven’t seen anything directly. Please, someone in the know, so it ain’t so!

This would be very disappointing if they replace the art deco architecture with something modern.....

• Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 4:25 PM, Spartan said:

Council adopted a new sign ordinance, so it's an SPA for a conditional plan to do something that would otherwise be allowed by right in a conventional district. I wouldn't blame the process though... since council opened the floodgates for signage a few years ago (by approving other signs), we're going to continue be inundated with it. All new buildings are going to have it from the start, and most old ones will be retrofitted in some way over time. One of the best things about Charlotte's skyline used to be the lack of signage clutter.  

A few other thoughts: I doubt the brightness was a part of the rezoning, so depending on where it falls in the permitting/ordinance it may or may not be something that the City can regulate.  It's also possible that these are demonstration tests and not the final product. BofA looked terrible when they were switching to LED lights but the end result was pretty good.  I'm choosing to remain optimistic about this until I know for sure it's worth of my ire.

Right, and the new sign ordinance was meant to be the first part of the UDO which is supposed to eliminate spot rezonings in theory. It has special allowances for Skyline signs which are more generous than what was previously allowed. This rezoning (which they didn't follow their rules on during the process) allowed for more than double the area of signage allowed at the top of the building than allowed by the 2020 sign ordinance. Both Planning and all the council members emailed about it all said 'we'll get back to you' and the approval happened with not a peep. It did not mention the lighting which had nothing to do with the rezoning. The size of the signs was the only thing in the rezoning. The talk of lighting and 'dynamic' identity was all PR BS. All it means is that even after all the comprehensive plan and UDO implementation, both planning and the council will be back to their same old standard operating procedure.

• Sad 2