Truist - New HQ (BB&T-SunTrust Merger)

dubone

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

from the Atlanta (GA) Business Chronicle

""One of the key executives at SunTrust Banks Inc. – Allison Dukes – has chosen to not join the new bank formed by the merger of SunTrust and BB&T.  BB&T Corp. (NYSE: BBT) and SunTrust (NYSE: STI) on Feb. 7 announced a "merger of equals" valued at approximately $66 billion. The combined company will be the sixth-largest U.S. bank based on assets and deposits  Dukes is the chief financial officer of SunTrust. She had been identified in the deal announcement as one of the SunTrust executives who would be part of the executive management team of the merged bank, which will be based in Charlotte, N.C.""

and from American Banker magazine  picking a name is hard to do

https://www.americanbanker.com/news/name-game-rebranding-bb-t-suntrust-fraught-with-risk

My name of the merged bank    Best Bank and Trust ticker symbol BBT

While I prefer Charlotte to Atlanta, if I were in the market for a $2m+ house, I'd rather live in Buckhead than Myers Park, South Park, or Eastover.   While "downtown" Buckhead is lame, those wooded, residential streets behind it are utterly stunning.  

Anyway, I'm just looking forward to a great new tower.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

Allison Dukes is likely leaving because she won't be the CFO of the combined company, not due to Buckhead vs. Myers Park. They kept her to be on the management team, but BB&T Daryl Bible was going to be CFO. She may have not been interested in a non-CFO or non-CEO position. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

^ My thinking is it’s either a made up name or it’s a generic term like Ally but generics are expensive as they’ll need to acquire the branding rights and domain name which are certainly taken.

I could see them do something that has to do with light as there is a lot of language in both organizations about light (e.g. lighting the way to financial freedom). Lantern would be a strong generic mark if they could get it. It’s no Ally but it’s good and would represent their philosophy well. 

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 2

I got it Lighthouse Bank shining your way to your financial future.    (and yes I am aware of Brighthouse Financial already based here in Charlotte)

With offices from PA to Texas their footprint is pretty big.  I am going to Atlanta GA soon I will snoop around LOL.  

In terms of housing, I would put up our housing options in the $1-$3M range with anything in Atlanta.  Yes Buckhead the residential part is beautiful but the cut through traffic is great.

Within 25 miles of Trade and Tryon you could live on a large lake (Wylie, Mt Island, or Norman south side) stately neighborhoods like Eastover and Myers Park, country club communities in various directions.

Charlotte's size is an advantage and there are not lake communities easily commutable from downtown Atlanta like we have here or estates with acreage.  the ATL sprawls out 40 miles to the NW N and NE  so I would say you could have many more lifestyle choices here in Charlotte than in a metro area of  twice the size of Charlotte.  With our size  you could live in the country with horses and still commute easier to Uptown in 30 minutes or so and that is not really possible in the same range from downtown Atlanta. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

I was just made aware by @QCxpat a small bank in Silicon Valley and San Jose has this name Lighthouse Bank.  I say the new big Charlotte based bank buys this one out and then they have their first California outpost in the  Valley.  And take their name aka FU with Wachovia or NationsBank with Bank of America.  

• Like 2

I was trying to think of a name that reflected the big ambitions for the new combined company, as well as had a positive message people could resonate with.  How about this one?

Aspire Bank & Trust

They could even use a refreshed version of the SunTrust sun rays with that new name.  I don't know, maybe it is hokey, but I was trying to come up with something less institutional than old school bank names.

Otherwise, maybe they can pay Lincoln Harris a fee for the Legacy Union name and go with Legacy Union Bank & Trust.

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This was probably touched on before but I was just talking to a bb&t branch manager about all this and she expressed frustration in that even the employees are completely in the dark until the fourth quarter. They literally have no idea about how the setup will be or whether or not various branches will close or consolidate.

The only info that I got that's brand new to me is they'll continue operations as two completely different banks until 2020 at the minimum.

What about SB&T, sun banking and trust?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, norm21499 said:

had anyone ever seen the ad on TV for the Universal Technical Institute, aka UTI?  I can't believe anyone would give a business that acronym..... LOL

You sound salty. Maybe even a little pissed. Perhaps a walk outside would be cathartic. Smell the air. Seriously, try me tho

• Like 1
  • Haha 1