Truist - New HQ (BB&T-SunTrust Merger)

dubone

3 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

KJH, sometimes I think you switch teams on us lol jk. 

Hey I call it like I see it I would not live in Atlanta but does not mean I hate it and I wont too many friends here and some of their buildings are stunning.  I am Charlotte true and true don't anyone worry.  I hate the Dirty Birds as much anyone in Charlotte and only have a Lowes credit card.  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Here is the Sun Trust in Midtown in ATL across from one of my favorite and the BB&T office in Atlantic Station.  SunTrust is everywhere I have been in Atlanta and I can see why they are concerned but Wells and BofA are everywhere and of course Atlanta is important market for any bank.  

1. 1180 Peachtree one of my favorite buildings in ATL also called the Symphony Tower

2. SunTrust office in midtown 

3. BB&T office in Atlantic Station

4. Now is the Atlanta trying to steal our crown?  Seen on the rooftop party deck of the Whole Foods midtown. 

IMG_3433.JPG

IMG_3435.JPG

IMG_3460.JPG

IMG_3461.JPG

Looks like a jokers crown to me.  Who will have the last laugh?

• Haha 1

On 4/26/2019 at 8:13 AM, KJHburg said:

the view from ATL concerning the last annual meeting of Sun Trust in Atlanta.   (no KJ was not in attendance though I was around town yesterday)  From the Atlanta Business Chronicle

Little emotion was on display at what likely was the last annual meeting of SunTrust Banks Inc., held in Atlanta on April 23 at the SunTrust Plaza Garden Offices next to its corporate headquarters.  By the end of 2019, SunTrust and BB&T are expected to close their “merger of equals” – a move that will create a yet-unnamed new bank that will be headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., rather than Atlanta.  “There’s always nostalgia, but it’s also about looking forward,” said Bill Rogers, SunTrust’s chairman and CEO who will be taking on a key role in the new bank. “I’m excited about the future and what we can do in Atlanta.”  David Ratcliffe, retired CEO of Southern Co. who is SunTrust’s lead director, said there’s a range of emotions when such a merger takes place. But he said he also is excited about the future progress of the new bank.  The longest-serving SunTrust director – Douglas Ivester – happened to retiring off the board at the annual meeting.  Ivester, a former CEO of The Coca-Cola Co. (NYSE: KO), has been on the board since 1998.

“Personally, I look back on that 20-plus years with great pride,” Ivester said right after the annual meeting. “I think the bank has equipped itself for a future in a way that didn’t exist 20 years ago.”  But Ivester, a Georgia native, also expressed mixed feelings about the pending merger although he voted in favor of the deal.  “Anytime you lose a headquarters, regardless of the nature of the business, it’s painful,” Ivester said. “I would rather see any headquarters based in Atlanta than anywhere else. But that’s not the case.”  It also was the end of another era. With Ivester’s departure, there is no longer any director who had a direct connection with Coca-Cola. There was time when there was such a close relationship between Coca-Cola and SunTrust, it was hard to see daylight between the two companies.  “There used to be overlaps, but the companies tended to be more local then,” Ivester said. “The companies are national and international, and the overlaps are no longer geographic. It’s just an evolution.”  At the Rollins Inc. annual meeting later that same day, retired SunTrust CEO James B. Williams reflected on the pending merger.  “I have confidence in Bill (Rogers),” Williams said. “I’m sure it will work out. I do wish the headquarters could have stayed in Atlanta.”  Williams was the last SunTrust executive to serve on Coca-Cola’s board until he retired in 2013.  “There are no longer directors (on the respective boards), but the relationships are still there,” Williams said.  The SunTrust annual meeting did have a special guest – civil rights leader Jesse Jackson – who urged the bank to continue to honor Atlanta as a center for black commerce and leadership.

Instead of making comments from the floor, Jackson went to the podium where Rogers had stood. While Jackson said he is concerned about the concentration of the banking industry, he is more concerned about issues of equity and the commitment to improve the lives of people less fortunate. He urged the bank to make sure all firms had an opportunity to do business with SunTrust and the new bank – especially in the area of professional services.  “Atlanta is too big and too black to be so white,” Jackson said. “Atlanta is the  richest African-American community in America. (But) they are not in this room.”  Rogers then told the group that Jackson had turned the podium into a pulpit. He then repeated a SunTrust mantra: “When you build your community, you build your bank.”   

Emphasis mine.  https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2019/04/26/suntrusts-era-in-atlanta-holds-its-last-annual.html     As for Chick-fil,-A move that discussion out of here. 

I have to say I love that quote in the last paragraph. It’s from Linton E. Allen, the one-time head of the First National Bank at Orlando (which became SunBank).

At least we did get one nod in all this...

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/os-ed-community-banks-advisory-board-112915-20151127-story,amp.html

From the Sentinel 

(BTW, if you’ve ever seen Orlando’s iconic fountain in Lake Eola, it’s named for Mr. Allen.)

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1