Truist - New HQ (BB&T-SunTrust Merger)

dubone

12 hours ago, southernnorthcarolina said:

I'd really love to find out how much BB&T/SunTrust paid the marketing firm for coming up with the new name.  

I think ego got in the way.  In this "merger of equals," BB&T is driving the bus.  And they just couldn't bring themselves to use the strongest brand which was sitting right in front of them.  No, not BB&T (not many people even know what the initials stand for), but  SunTrust.   When NationsBank (NCNB's successor) bought Bank of America, they immediately saw that Bank of America was too strong a brand to discard.  They made the logical choice, and applied the name of the acquired bank to the whole organization.  It seems to have worked for them.

If I were hired to come up with a name and logo for the combined bank, it would take me mere minutes.  Use SunTrust's name, and BB&T's typeface and maroon color, plus a sun:  

SunTrust☀️

Too simple, you say?  Sometimes -- in fact, usually -- simple is best.

NorWest bought Wells Fargo and kept their name too.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, southernnorthcarolina said:

When NationsBank (NCNB's successor) bought Bank of America, they immediately saw that Bank of America was too strong a brand to discard.  They made the logical choice, and applied the name of the acquired bank to the whole organization.  It seems to have worked for them.

Actually, NationsBank bought BankAmerica Corp.  I don't recall why the "of" was inserted to become Bank of America.  Can anyone shed some light?

39 minutes ago, dxartist said:

Actually, NationsBank bought BankAmerica Corp.  I don't recall why the "of" was inserted to become Bank of America.  Can anyone shed some light?

the corporation was called Bank America but the branches were always called Bank of America.  https://about.bankofamerica.com/en-us/who-we-are/our-history-and-heritage.html#fbid=57yj-qmkVi6/hashlink=our-history-heritage

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, dxartist said:

I believe it was when the Bank of Italy (USA) founder renamed Bank of Italy (USA) to Bank of America National Trust and Savings Association.

From that, BankAmerica was formed, which owned Bank of America and other subsidiaries. 

Edited by TheOneRJ
  • Like 2

Is Truist such a bad name some branding experts say not so fast.  

https://thefinancialbrand.com/84686/truist-bank-rebranding-bbt-suntrust-truliant-financial-marketing/

Shortly after the Truist branch opens in the now named Hearst Tower I will stroll in and open an account.  Pretty sure they will have a branch there as there is some vacant retail space in there now.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Is Truist such a bad name some branding experts say not so fast.  

https://thefinancialbrand.com/84686/truist-bank-rebranding-bbt-suntrust-truliant-financial-marketing/

Shortly after the Truist branch opens in the now named Hearst Tower I will stroll in and open an account.  Pretty sure they will have a branch there as there is some vacant retail space in there now.  

Would you want a branch that hidden from the street though?  Seems like B-Tower could be a better spot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.journalnow.com/business/bb-t-suntrust-merger-is-the-biggest-banking-deal-since/article_02319e88-d7e7-5399-ba7e-0c25b3c6a880.html

Shareholders of both companies will vote on Tuesday to decide whether or not to progress with the merger. 

Atlanta POV: Most Atlantans and Atlanta based papers will still probably be sore if the merge is approved, but their will be far less complaint for a couple of reasons. First, many were scared of job loss, but both Invesco and Ameris Bank have announced large expansions that will capitalize on Suntrust talent. I would expect for y'all to hear less complaining (for lack of a better word) from Atlanta. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It’s going to be impossible for me to not call it Hearst. 

I still call the 5/3 building the IJL Building On accident sometimes. But this is going to be beyond more difficult. It’s like calling Top Gun afterburn or whatever it’s called now. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’m hoping Truliant’s lawsuit is successful, every time I think I start to like Truist I remember how stupid it sounds. SunTrust is such a good name, I wouldn’t mind the bank keeping it. I wonder what other options they considered, either way the marketing team needs to be fired lol.