Animals across the Carolinas

KJHburg

• 2 weeks later...

I have only ever seen the Piper Glen bald eagles twice but they are still out there.  Saw both a few months ago but sadly I couldn't get a pic.   They have their beautiful white heads now (first time I saw one a few years ago,  they weren't mature enough).   It's a really neat thing to see in city limits.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Gators all at Jarvis Creek Park on Hilton Head.  As I say guaranteed sightings of alligators year round no fee required. Just don't feed them as they say here a Fed Gator is a Dead Gator as it will become aggressive towards humans and it will be caught and killed (in SC)  In NC they do try to relocate them sometimes.  Point is don't feed them. Ever.  

IMG_2984.JPG

IMG_2989.JPG

IMG_2992.JPG

IMG_2994.JPG

IMG_2999.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2019 at 9:22 PM, KJHburg said:

Elk today in the middle of US 441 at the intersection with Blue Ridge Parkway in the early evening.    Usually they graze in the large field near the GSMNP visitors center.  Just 3 away from the main herd which was probably still in the woods.    These wild elk don't know where to stay in park boundaries but they all live on the NC side of the National Park. 

IMG_4507.JPG

IMG_4536.JPG

IMG_4547.JPG

IMG_4506 (2).JPG

IMG_4536 (2).JPG

IMG_4539 (2).JPG

IMG_4541 (2).JPG

I go to Pennsylvania at least twice a year to visit family. The elk herd there has created a crazy amount of tourism in the area around Benezette. Traffic backs up for miles during Rut season from people trying to get pictures. At least one person gets injured every year. Some of the elk in NC are transplants from the PA herd, supposedly.