Animals across the Carolinas

KJHburg

Gators, big birds (egrets and herons) , butterflies, marsh tacky horses and cats oh my all on the island of Hilton Head.  

and butterflies are not as easy shot to get let me tell you.  Cat at the hostess stand outside at one of my favorite Captain Woodys. 

IMG_2601.JPG

IMG_2608.JPG

IMG_2609.JPG

IMG_2622.JPG

IMG_2623.JPG

IMG_2627.JPG

IMG_2659.JPG

IMG_2660.JPG

IMG_2662.JPG

IMG_2665.JPG

IMG_2673.JPG

IMG_2630 (2).JPG

IMG_2631 (2).JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

saw some elk in the normal pasture last night in the National Park but then went beyond them and turned around and found some in work area of the park.  Truly magnificent creatures but quickly turned around. all around Cherokee.  plus a wild turkey at Fontana Dam. 

IMG_4211.JPG

IMG_4213.JPG

IMG_4215 (1).JPG

IMG_4165.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Okay these bison were in Caprock Canyon State Park in west Texas however historically bison did roam the Carolinas!   They are beautiful creatures and they do love to graze. 

https://blogs.lib.unc.edu/ncm/index.php/2016/07/07/bison-in-north-carolina/comment-page-1/

some history above of bison in NC. 

these are part of the state of Texas herd and I got up close and personal with them in my rental car!  and if you look carefully they were some bison love going on!  No skyscrapers out here at least until I get back to Dallas Fort Worth 

IMG_5106.JPG

IMG_5102.JPG

IMG_5110.JPG

IMG_5111.JPG

IMG_5113.JPG

IMG_5123.JPG

IMG_5124.JPG

IMG_5127.JPG

IMG_5134.JPG

IMG_5135.JPG

IMG_5140.JPG

IMG_5158.JPG

IMG_5207.JPG

IMG_5239.JPG

IMG_5240.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

from the 150,000 acre plus Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge in Dare County.     These white black beak Tundra Swans live in the Arctic in the summer and they winter right here in eastern NC and Dare County specifically.   Alligator River NWR and the surrounding areas is the largest concentration of black bears in the eastern USA.   No bear spotted unfortunately you have to be out there at dawn or sunset. 

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/birds/t/tundra-swan/

IMG_9169.JPG

IMG_9174.JPG

IMG_9176.JPG

IMG_9177.JPG

IMG_9211.JPG

IMG_9212.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

More Tundra Swans and they migrate to the OBX and surrounding areas in eastern NC from upper Hudson Bay in Canada and some above the Arctic Circle.  Today in Duck and from the Outer Banks Center for Wildlife Education in Corolla.   3rd photo shows where they have tagged and tracked migrating Tundra Swans. 

IMG_9541.JPG

IMG_9531.JPG

IMG_9476.JPG

IMG_9477.JPG

• Like 4

Somerset Place is a WONDERFUL historic location. I learned a great deal at my visit. Extraordinarily preserved, in the sense of Drayton Hall near Charleston, though not as old. Untouched for decades. And the stories of the enslaved are rich. The surrounding area is historic in its own right as that corner of NC has changed but little over the years. Drive around with one's eyes open and experience our North Carolina. 

• Like 3