Animals across the Carolinas

KJHburg

11 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Somerset Place is a WONDERFUL historic location. I learned a great deal at my visit. Extraordinarily preserved, in the sense of Drayton Hall near Charleston, though not as old. Untouched for decades. And the stories of the enslaved are rich. The surrounding area is historic in its own right as that corner of NC has changed but little over the years. Drive around with one's eyes open and experience our North Carolina. 

I try,  just back from OBX to both Dare and Currituck counties first time in about 8-9 years and I still love it.  It was my child hood vacation spot when I lived in the DC area.  

Speaking of animals here are daring sea gulls on the US 64 bridge onto Roanoke Island (and unfortunately some met their death when they landed or take off as the traffic whizzes by as we saw evidence of it)  This is about 3 mile long bridge from mainland NC to Roanoke Island and the Outer Banks. 

IMG_9142.JPG

IMG_9144.JPG

IMG_9145.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, kermit said:

Nutria? 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coypu  (this would be really bad news)

I have never seen an Otter in an NC river (in 50 plus years of looking) but you never know...

I was lucky to spot one in the wild back in 1965 on my dad's property in the mountains. Haven't seen one since, but some folks in Lincoln Co. tell me the "guvment been releasing some".  I agree with the muscrat speculation. I've seen plenty of those on Lake Norman.  On a side note, muscrats were heavily trapped around here during the depression.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

it is beyond time to revive this thread post your photos of your dogs, your cats, your pets, various animals all across the Carolinas.  as I will be in lowcountry for the next little while I will get it restarted.  Today some marine life.

1 seagull on the beach.  2. jellyfish washed up on shore.   3. egret in the tidal marsh  4. oyster bed in tidal creek.

IMG_5699.JPG

IMG_5705.JPG

IMG_5691 (2).JPG

IMG_5693 (2).JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

the animal kingdom continues to thrive.  KJ's exclusive dolphin in the ocean photos and a reminder don't be that tourist that when they see fins in the ocean they scream out shark!  I had someone do that why I was walking by one day and quietly said that is a dolphin.  They blamed it on their residence in Ohio.   Birds, gators and dolphins oh my from HHI.  (Pelicans on the beach like that is somewhat unusual but with less people they can safely hang out) 

lets get some cat and dog photos I know you have them. 

IMG_6577.JPG

IMG_6578.JPG

IMG_6579.JPG

IMG_6645.JPG

IMG_6657.JPG

IMG_6660.JPG

IMG_6664.JPG

IMG_6665.JPG

IMG_6666.JPG

IMG_6667.JPG

IMG_6668.JPG

IMG_6633 (2).JPG

IMG_6635 (2).JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Coastal SC wildlife from last week.  1. white egret in the marsh  2. blue heron at a lagoon  3.  live sand dollars on the beach (you can tell they are alive as they have little red fuzzy tentacles) (family of sea urchins)   5.  ghost crab scampering across the beach 

IMG_7314.JPG

IMG_7321.JPG

IMG_7335.JPG

IMG_7336.JPG

IMG_7313 (2).JPG

• Like 2