Animals across the Carolinas

KJHburg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

and from the mountains in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park please NEVER feed bear.

Bear tranquilized after Great Smoky Mountains visitors try to feed it peanut butter, rangers say – FOX 46 Charlotte

Likewise here in the SC Lowcountry or SE NC where alligators live do not feed them.  If gators are fed by people they equate the 2 legged people as food sources and will come after you.

This little guy was seen was chomping on a whole crab and he can do the same with your toes and fingers. 

Do not feed wild animals ever. 

IMG_7467.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The escaped deadly Zebra cobra snake has been caught finally in Raleigh.  It was terrorizing the north suburbs of our Capital City.

Raleigh snake: Owner of escaped zebra cobra has large TikTok following where he shows off exotic reptiles - ABC11 Raleigh-Durham

it created quite a stir in  Raleigh really it did. 

this snake was headed towards my college roommate's house in NW Raleigh! 

Relief: Venomous zebra cobra captured in north Raleigh neighborhood :: WRAL.com

Edited by KJHburg
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Up in Cherokee area recently saw these elk grazing.  Oh yeah when they say elk crossing like they do on Balsam Mountain Rd an offshoot of the Blue Ridge Parkway they mean it!  Saw 2 elks cross my path right in front of me and believe me your don't want to hit an elk.  (no photos of them as they were moving fast)

The elk of Great Smoky Mountains National Park prefer the NC side of the park as that is where they were introduced and have spread quite a ways around the park.   They stop traffic literally every day. 

They love to come out in and after a rain FYI all near Oconaluftee Visitors center. 

and check out that rack on that bull! 

IMG_9642.JPG

IMG_9643.JPG

IMG_9646.JPG

IMG_9649.JPG

IMG_9674.JPG

IMG_9675.JPG

IMG_9688.JPG

• Like 1

Raleigh has become our source for weird animal news in the Carolinas.  Now a bear in a tree in hospital parking lot in west  Raleigh and it was lured down and out of the city by JELLY DOUHGNUTS and sardines.  Probably wandered over from Umstead State Park 

Bear in tree at Raleigh's UNC REX lured down with jelly donuts Wednesday morning, police say (fox46.com)

• Haha 1

Condo check up trip to Hilton Head and I missed all the excitement by one day.  The beach was cleared when a shark came very close to shore.  In all my years of going there I have had only one shark encounter.  I was about 3-4 feet away in shallow water from a hammerhead.  I backed out of the ocean and he swam away.   I respect sharks the ocean is their home and we are just guests in it.  And sharks are off the waters of ALL Carolina beaches whether people see them or encounter them is a different story.  If I see a school of bait fish swimming near me I move as they often follow those schools of fish close to the shore.  

these are from some of our owners at the resort.   Kudos to Mr Wilson who got these shots sharks are hard to photograph in the water! 

May be an image of body of water and nature

May be an image of ocean

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

12 foot alligator in ocean by Oak Island pier.  the American alligator can tolerate salt water for a few hours or even a day or two but they do mainly live in freshwater but they do venture out from time to time.  One of my friends saw an alligator on the beach in Hilton Head a few years ago.

12-foot long alligator surfing waves at Oak Island :: WRAL.com

• Thanks 1

My puppy, Ike (so named because President Eisenhower had a Weimaraner in the White House), at 3 months old, "confronting" (behind the glass) the friendly doe who hangs around my house.

Ike was about 30 pounds at the time.  Now, just after his first birthday, he's 70 pounds.  The doe still comes around, sometimes with her fawn, and is utterly unconcerned about Ike when she sees that he is behind the glass or the fence.

IMG_0232.thumb.jpeg.cf069d70d5fbf7396d17eab76efd7fc4.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Folklore maintains that the Ibis, a symbol of knowledge found in the Everglades and Egypt, is the last sign of wildlife to take shelter before a hurricane and the first to reappear after the storm. The local marsh bird was considered UM's first unofficial mascot when the school yearbook adopted the name "Ibis" in 1926.

University of Miami mascot and symbol. Stanley the Ibis.

• Like 1