Animals across the Carolinas

KJHburg

Since pumpkin beer is already flowing, I thought I'd show off these spooky creatures hanging out in my back yard.  They're typically called yellow garden spiders, but my family always called them "writing" spiders due to the zig-zag design in their webs. Rumor was that if you saw your initials in the web, bad luck was coming your way.  I often see them around from August into October.  And even though they look wicked, they're not poisonous, so leave them be!

spiders.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The official NC state horse the horses of the northern Currituck County beaches.  They are descendants of Spanish mustangs are considered pure breds.  In northern Currituck County NC beaches north of Corolla in the Carova Beach NC area.    They roam free in an 8000 acre area that does include some homes but also federal and state lands.  They are very protected do NOT feed and approach.  

Only reachable by 4 wheel drive and my ride was a Hummer today.  (and believe it or not @nicholas I saw a Rivian truck in the non road area driving on the beach)

https://www.ncpedia.org/symbols/horse#:~:text=In June 2010 the North,in Session Law 2010-6.

Our official horse is a royal Spanish Mustang! (take that SC) 

IMG_5495.JPG

IMG_5505.JPG

IMG_5540.JPG

IMG_5542.JPG

IMG_5545.JPG

IMG_5548.JPG

IMG_5550.JPG

IMG_5551.JPG

IMG_5553.JPG

IMG_5555.JPG

IMG_5557.JPG

IMG_5563.JPG