Oracle, 60 acres at River North, 1,200,000 sq. ft. of space, $1.2B Investment, 8,500 jobs

markhollin

1 hour ago, UTgrad09 said:

I think there are threads where we could discuss the impact of state and local politics, and the impacts that they have on current and future development....

...but this really isn't one of them. Let's move on for the moment, and save the political talk to news or speculation about other projects. 

There is a 2020 Politics thread in the Coffee House but people seem to forget about it.  Get in here keyboard warriors!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rolly said:

It's not anti, it's pro.  Designed to prevent people with boy parts from using the girls locker room.

Fact is that more companies are fleeing CA and NY than going to those places because of 'woke' politics.  For example, a lot of the Nashville Yards growth is from this hyper-progressive attacks on Amazon when trying to setup HQ2 in NYC.  Thus a sane Red State signed up another massive relocation project.  The eminent start of Amazon tower 2 is further confirmation that TN is doing the right thing.  It appears that Oracle is on track as well.

The C suite stays in California, they move back office and jobs that require less talent and less pay to Tennessee.  California is doing just fine. Tennessee would be well served trying to incubate our own talent to be able to create our own Fortune 500 companies, it requires substantial investments in education to do so. 

• Like 2

• dmillsphoto changed the title to Oracle in Nashville: 8,500 jobs, 800,000 sq. ft. of space, $1.2B Investment

Love everything I'm reading up until the tax revenue split... Feels like there's some risk in the "build now, pay later" mindset.

On the other hand, if that rendering is what we end up with on the East Bank, then we wasted some prime real estate for an office park that should've landed in Brentwood.

• dmillsphoto changed the title to Oracle in Nashville: 8,500 jobs, 1,200,000 sq. ft. of space, $1.2B Investment

Yeah it looks like it would be a beautiful place with all of the greenspace and waterscaping, but it's also such a prime example of wasteful land management that makes little-to-no effort to engage with its surroundings (the rest of River North). I know that's sort of how it goes with tech campuses, but I wish it were denser and less self-contained. 

Exciting news for Nashville to say the least.  From a development stand point, it is disappointing.  Granted it is 100% better than what was there.  But, clearly most of us here expected more in terms of towers because of its proximity to downtown.  The conceptual design reminds me more of a suburban office park than a development inside the urban core.  I just find it difficult to believe, considering the investment, that an office park environment like Metro Center is what they are proposing.  Hopefully, this is just a concept to tickle our fancy and that we will at least see a plan that better suits an urban core.

C'mon Oracle give us a live, work, stay and play concept.

Live = Multiple high rise residential buildings starting at 20 stories. 

Work = Multiple office towers starting at 25 stories.

Stay = Multiple hotels starting at 15 stories.

Play = The green spaces and water ways you've provided, plus restaurants, bars, retail, outdoor entertainment areas. 

46 minutes ago, Hey_Hey said:

There has to be more density than what is shown in those pictures. There’s no way they are going to be able to fit 8500 people in those buildings is there?

That was my thought as well.  There's no way they are going to be able to fit $1.2 billion in those buildings either!  There has got to be more to it than the rendering, surely.

• Like 1