Oracle, 60 acres at River North, 1,200,000 sq. ft. of space, $1.2B Investment, 8,500 jobs

markhollin

Some more reporting from the NBJ, detailing the timeline of River North/Oracle: https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/04/14/timeline-how-oracle-and-river-north-converged.html?ana=twt

Key upcoming dates:

April 27th, scheduled public hearing by the Metro Development Board to discuss/vote on the arrangement. 
May 4th, Metro Council votes on tax sharing plan. 

Edited by downtownresident
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Great news!  Whatever Oracle puts there will be a major upgrade from the warehouses there now. Also, don't forget the Landings will showcase a nice riverfront (actually the closest in view from downtown).  And being a regional HQ is very major b/c it will include jobs from all divisions of the company.  There will also be nearly that many more indirect jobs created to support Oracle et.al.  That will create a significant bump in air passengers in/out of BNA.  

Now if only the state could get a joint technology effort from all area universities to support Amazon, Asurion, Oracle, etc.  A specialized education hub for CS (Vandy), Telecom (TTU/UT), Electronics/EE (UT), Logistics (TSU), Cloud/Media (TTU/Belmont/TSU),  etc.   My perfect location would be the TSU Avon Williams campus. 

I suppose this is Oracle’s version of HQ2.

Regardless of how it look in the renderings I do think this will be a good get for Nashville, however if I were living in East Nashville right now I would be considerably concerned about rents skyrocketing. The addition of a major tech campus like this on the east bank is surely going to increase growth in that section of the city tremendously, and unfortunately it’s extremely likely that residents in the projects on the east bank will be forced out sooner than later. I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if those buildings were replaced by shiny new apartment towers. I’m happy for the growth in East Nashville but remember it doesn’t affect everyone equally.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, bigeasy said:

I like it! 

I don't really understand the disappointment people have with these not being taller. I personally don't think Nashville needs height on this side of the river, esp not right now.  A "Cool Springs" style campus is perfect for over there in my opinion. It drastically improves what is there, and provides at least some bump up in the density.

Personally, I'm thrilled we're likely landing this, and I don't have any problems with it in terms of height or design or anything like that.  I get that they wanted a campus environment, and an 'office-in-a-park' sort of set up is what comes with that.  This is probably an ideal spot for a development of that type.  I just figured for that $1.2 billion price tag that there'd be more to it than three moderately sized low rise buildings, a parking garage, and a park.  But maybe the rendering is not yet complete, or maybe infrastructure work makes up a big chunk of that total.  I don't know.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PillowTalk4 said:

It's kind of hard to get the vision for River North out of my head and see it watered down to this concept.  Granted, there will be room for additional development around the Oracle campus.  I just hope that will help fulfill the River North vision as it was conceptually depicted.

Take the original renderings for River North and place them around Nissan Stadium, TA Trucking site, and CBD. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PillowTalk4 said:

It's kind of hard to get the vision for River North out of my head and see it watered down to this concept.  Granted, there will be room for additional development around the Oracle campus.  I just hope that will help fulfill the River North vision as it was conceptually depicted.

Just the point I was making.  I think many of us are feeling that disappointment.  No harm in that at all.

• Like 2

What would a develop like this do for housing in town? Any speculation into what areas of town a typical employee for this would like to live in? Just assuming we hit the 8,500 number, then I would assume you have 8,500 additional houses. Does this impact mostly Davidson county our would you see people living in Williamson, Wilson, etc?

15 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Take the original renderings for River North and place them around Nissan Stadium, TA Trucking site, and CBD. 

I like that.  But I was hoping for the entire East Bank to be developed with mid rise and high rise buildings intermingled the entire distance.

• Like 2