Oracle, 60 acres at River North, 1,200,000 sq. ft. of space, $1.2B Investment, 8,500 jobs

markhollin

6 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Actually the dams in the TVA system were to created to serve many purposes,  two of which are flood mitigation and  hydroelectricity. By doing these two things it also helped with economic development, river navigation, TVA also developed fertilizers and taught better crop management to farmers as part of the new deal. There are some of the dams have lock systems like Cheatham Dam which is just west of you  by about 15 miles. Interesting to see the barges go  through the lock system there. Cheatham is not part of TVA, but the Corps of Engineers.That pretty much connects Nashville to the Tennessee, Thus the Ohio and the Mississippi rivers. The Tennessee River has a number of locks to raise barges from Paducah  elevation of 302’ to Knoxville at 813’.

When you grow up here, you are a little more familiar with the purposes of this entity. The flooding in the south was a lot worse before the TVA dams were brought into the picture. Sorry for the history lesson. 

Cool, thanks for correcting me on that! Always appreciate a good history lesson. Do you have insights into how the dams were managed during the 2010 flood and whether there have been improvements in flood mitigation capacity since then? I was not here but what I've read is that the water had to be released from the Old Hickory Dam when Old Hickory Lake was about the overtop the dam.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AsianintheNations said:

Cool, thanks for correcting me on that! Always appreciate a good history lesson. Do you have insights into how the dams were managed during the 2010 flood and whether there have been improvements in flood mitigation capacity since then? I was not here but what I've read is that the water had to be released from the Old Hickory Dam when Old Hickory Lake was about the overtop the dam.

NOAA compiled this huge assessment for the disaster in what happened before, during, & after the flood, particularly what happened between the NWS & Army Corps. 

These sorts of assessments are reserved for significant events, such as the Joplin EF5 that killed over 150 and the 2011 Super Outbreak. 

https://www.weather.gov/media/publications/assessments/Tenn_Flooding.pdf

• Thanks 2

The Corps of Engineers took a lot of heat for how they handled how water was released. I wish I could remember all of the details, but the outcome was now they start releasing water pretty quickly when they see these types of events coming, but….  And it this is a big but, if we have that much rain again in a short period of time, its going to happen again. It almost did this past year with half that much in places. The lakes would have to be twice the size they are now to keep an event like that from happening.

The problem is if the lakes were too low to stay prepared for such an event , it affects the hydroelectric production and all of the boaters and fishermen will be complaining they can’t get their boats in the water.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yep, you said what I was not going to go into Randy. I do think there still needs to be a flood wall downtown and the way things are going with the development on the East Bank it will have to be on both sides of the river. We are going to multi billion dollar development on both sides of the river over the next 20 years. But then, where will that water go? My fear is they will need to build the levy higher in Metro Center. It just pushes the problem further downstream. 

The main solution is to keep the lakes at a lower level IMO!

• Like 3

I thought there was an effort to replace the Wolf Creek dam. I had heard years ago that the downstream water levels were kept higher b/c WCD was not structurally capable of containing flooding upstream.   https://www.somerset-kentucky.com/kentucky/maintenance-work-resumes-at-wolf-creek-dam/article_4307e80e-0298-11eb-a3ff-07e72eb90baa.html

In January 2007, the lake level was lowered 40 feet and a seven-year, $309.1 million rehabilitation of Wolf Creek Dam included a longer and deeper wall inserted through the dam's earthen section.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 12:08 PM, AsianintheNations said:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, markhollin said:

The official "welcome event" to publicly proclaim Oracle's arrival has been pushed back indefinitely from the original mid-August goal.  Should know more soon about when this will take place.

Mark, do we know the 'why' for this announcement being postponed indefinitely?

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 10:06 AM, ruraljuror said:

As I'm sure y'all recall, it was just a few weeks before Oracle's mid-August announcement goal whenTennessee was making waves in the national news for a few consecutive cycles after we fired the top vaccine-related health official at the Tennessee Department of Health for encouraging teenagers to get vaccinated and then followed that up by doubling down and ending state backed outreach efforts for any/all vaccines to minors across the board.  I figured at the time that would create a wrinkle in Oracle's announcement timeline and might even lead to a much smaller announcement/PR blitz whenever the time comes to make it official. Just speculation, but Oracle doesn't want any unnecessary heat or unwanted attention, and they don't seem to be afraid to operate behind the scenes.

This company has been tight lipped about this development for over two and a half years. How could any of the above cause them to go into "silent mode" when they were already operating like that from the beginning?

Edited by Licec

15 hours ago, Licec said:

This company has been tight lipped about this development for over two and a half years. How could any of the above cause them to go into "silent mode" when they were already operating like that from the beginning?

You might be right, but Oracle didn't close on the land purchase until the beginning of June, so being tight-lipped for 2 and a half years before the deal was finalized is pretty irrelevant. Most companies don't make any formal announcements until deals are closed, so that's to be expected.

Once the land and incentive packages had been secured, however, Oracle immediately sent a couple of employees back to Nashville later that same month with the stated purpose of prepping for the formal Oracle/Nashville announcement in mid-August. The period in which Oracle was operating in "silent mode" had evidently come to an end, but then mid-August came and went with no formal announcement and no updates about the cause for the delay, etc.

What happened in the 6 weeks between the Oracle prep crew's return trip to Nashville to plan for the formal announcement and the planned date of that formal announcement itself that came and went? Tennessee was in the national news getting more than its fair share of bad PR, for one. In fact, that PR was so bad that the very Tennessee legislators who created that bad PR almost immediately did an about face and rescinded their new policy in response to the widespread backlash.  

To me, it seems pretty plausible that a company might want to avoid stepping in a PR mess that even the creators of that mess wanted no part in. I mean, why wouldn't they delay the announcement in that scenario? Given that these kind of corporate announcements are almost exclusively PR exercises to begin with, it would be at the very least counterproductive to carry on with the announcement as planned, and could even lead to negative PR for Oracle by association for a policy from which even theTennessee General Assembly wanted to disassociate. Given that climate, I would argue that to carry on with the announcement as planned would have been PR malpractice.

That said, as Downtown Resident noted above, it's also entirely plausible that the Delta spike was a bigger factor in leading to the delay, or any number of other potential reasons to slow down the process that we're not privy to. We'll most likely never know what the main factor behind the delay was, in any case, so please feel free to fill in the gaps with your own speculations if you please. 

Edited by ruraljuror
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ruraljuror said:

You might be right, but Oracle didn't close on the land purchase until the beginning of June, so being tight-lipped for 2 and a half years before the deal was finalized is pretty irrelevant. Most companies don't make any formal announcements until deals are closed, so that's to be expected.

Once the land and incentive packages had been secured, however, Oracle immediately sent a couple of employees back to Nashville later that same month with the stated purpose of prepping for the formal Oracle/Nashville announcement in mid-August. The period in which Oracle was operating in "silent mode" had evidently come to an end, but then mid-August came and went with no formal announcement and no updates about the cause for the delay, etc.

What happened in the 6 weeks between the Oracle prep crew's return trip to Nashville to plan for the formal announcement and the planned date of that formal announcement itself that came and went? Tennessee was in the national news getting more than its fair share of bad PR, for one. In fact, that PR was so bad that the very Tennessee legislators who created that bad PR almost immediately did an about face and rescinded their new policy in response to the widespread backlash.  

To me, it seems pretty plausible that a company might want to avoid stepping in a PR mess that even the creators of that mess wanted no part in. I mean, why wouldn't they delay the announcement in that scenario? Given that these kind of corporate announcements are almost exclusively PR exercises to begin with, it would be at the very least counterproductive to carry on with the announcement as planned, and could even lead to negative PR for Oracle by association for a policy from which even theTennessee General Assembly wanted to disassociate. Given that climate, I would argue that to carry on with the announcement as planned would have been PR malpractice.

That said, as Downtown Resident noted above, it's also entirely plausible that the Delta spike was a bigger factor in leading to the delay, or any number of other potential reasons to slow down the process that we're not privy to. We'll most likely never know what the main factor behind the delay was, in any case, so please feel free to fill in the gaps with your own speculations if you please. 

Did Oracle have a big PR event when they relocated their HQ to Austin? If you are of the opinion that TN legislators bring bad PR, then Texas is bringing even worse. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, markhollin said:

Lots of excavation and infrastructure placement continues on site.

Looking west from intersection of Cowan St. and Cowan Ct:

Oracle, Sept 18, 2021, 1.jpeg

Looking north from intersection of Cowan St. and Cowan Ct:

Oracle, Sept 18, 2021, 2.jpeg

Looking west from Cowan St.,  1/2 block north of Cowan Ct:

Oracle, Sept 18, 2021, 3.jpeg

Looking south from Cowan St.,  1/2 block north of Cowan Ct:

Oracle, Sept 18, 2021, 4.jpeg

Go big lol 

• Like 1