Oracle, 60 acres at River North, 1,200,000 sq. ft. of space, $1.2B Investment, 8,500 jobs

markhollin

They may prefer to build a development of their own. Maybe the cancelled Disney tower land, or the parking lot near the future Peabody Union, or the area between Korean Veterans Boulevard and Lafayette Street, or maybe the land next to the interstate where the four tower project was cancelled.

Any clue when a public announcement will be made by Oracle or the city? The NBJ is reporting that they are scouting locations, but it’s not clear if Nashville has landed the jobs or if we are just a finalist. It has me feeling a little less optimistic than I was when the NP story was first posted. 

26 minutes ago, Ingram said:

. . . maybe the land next to the interstate where the four tower project was cancelled.

Man, I miss that one. That project was a beauty.

My head is spinning with all of these announcements. Nashville is adding thousands of high-paying jobs each year. The State of Tennessee has never seen anything like this before.

This isn't the same Nashville I grew up in, and I'm only 21 years old. We have become a very prosperous city.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, markhollin said:

Oracle plans on opening a Nashville office that will employ up to 3,000 people and seeking office space of 800,000 square feet.  The location would most likely be somewhere in the central core (CBD, SoBro, Midtown or River North all seem to be options).  Glory be!   More forthcoming.

The jobs will primarily be inside sales, marketing, and sales support teams.

The article posits that they could take up more of the other space in Nashville Yards, or some in Gulch Union, or Broadwest.  Of course, River North could be an option, as well as One KVB, Highland Properties where the Tennessean used to be located, etc.  Let the speculating begin!

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/03/01/report-oracle-scouting-nashville-for-massive-local.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

More behind the Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/technology/article/21049285/tech-titan-plans-massive-local-presence

Well damn!

Nashville is on fire!

• Like 1

Amazon.com Inc. isn't the only technology giant interested in locating thousands of jobs in Nashville.

Oracle Corp., one of the nation's leading software and IT companies, is scouting the Nashville market for an urban office hub, according to multiple real sources. Those sources say the Bay Area-based company is seeking at least 500,000 square feet of office space, with the potential to grow to as much as twice that size.

From a size perspective, Oracle's desired amount of office space would place the company's potential presence between Nashville's two biggest economic development wins of 2018. Amazon is set to occupy 1 million square feet of space in its 5,000-person Nashville office, located inside downtown's Nashville Yards project. Meanwhile, investment firm AllianceBernstein will occupy 205,000 square feet of space inside downtown’s Fifth + Broadway mixed-use development. That office will house 1,050 employees.

One source familiar with the search said Oracle's hub could involve 1,000 jobs initially and potentially more in future phases of expansion.

The Nashville Post first reported Oracle's interest on March 1. Citing anonymous sources, the Post reported that sales, marketing and back-office support jobs are involved with the hub. The Post also reported that Oracle is seeking 800,000 square feet of office space.

A request for comment to Oracle was not returned.

It is not clear whether Nashville is a finalist for the office hub, or if Oracle has gone as far as selecting Nashville as the city where it wants to expand. One year ago, Oracle opened an office hub in Austin that could eventually employ 10,000 people.

Sources identified Cresa as the real estate brokerage firm representing Oracle in its search, led by a broker team from the West Coast. Cresa, which is headquartered in Washington, D.C., also has a Nashville office. On its website, Cresa says it has represented Oracle in 536 leases over the years, totaling more than 10.8 million square feet of office space.

Screenshot_2019-03-01-17-10-55.png

• Like 3

Here’s my wild guess . Maybe this could go to West Trinity lane at Buena Vista. Would be a good place for a campus style complex with some 10 to 20 story buildings and would have great views of downtown.  I personally would like to see this help kick start River North. Fingers crossed

Another possibility, although it isn't in the core as mentioned in the Post article, would be the new development across from Opryland Hotel. If they want to be in Nashville but have a more campus style office then that would be an option. I would still think they would want a location in the CBD or a nearby locale (Sobro, Music Row, Midtown), but its something to consider at least.  

• Like 1

I love the idea of this kick-starting River North as much as anyone (I live in the area, after all), but I think that area is going to be a hard sell for a single organization "campus"-style development.

The primary reason I say this is because of TopGolf being right there at the gateway. As popular and successful as that place is, it still gives a bit of a carnival funhouse vibe to the whole development and to me seems like a shortsighted move by the developer. With so much prime space available around the city, I just don't think big organizations are going to go for it.

• Like 2

Nashville Yards might be the odds on favorite because it has the most readyable space and it is in close proximity to a variety of lunch options (aeg). Highwoods may be the next option if there will be something of a food court or hall within it's parcels. 

This all is based on the assumption that a reduction in the distance travelled and time used by their employees to get lunch is high on the checklist.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Vrtigo said:

I love the idea of this kick-starting River North as much as anyone (I live in the area, after all), but I think that area is going to be a hard sell for a single organization "campus"-style development.

The primary reason I say this is because of TopGolf being right there at the gateway. As popular and successful as that place is, it still gives a bit of a carnival funhouse vibe to the whole development and to me seems like a shortsighted move by the developer. With so much prime space available around the city, I just don't think big organizations are going to go for it.

Top Golf is a whole lot of fun, but I REEEEALLY wish they had gone out by Opryland or something instead.  I mean, it's a friggin' driving range.  You know in ten years time there is going to be all sorts of urban development going up around it, so I think it'll feel very out of place very soon.  I also hate the way their damn spotlights ruin nighttime skyline shots from the north.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vrtigo said:

Top Golf is outside of the River North Development site. The river north developers had nothing to do with top golf and therefore couldn’t stop it either 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Tell me about it. Look where Paramount is now, not to mention the 19 story that was announced last week... back on page three moving towards page four.

And now I can't remember what "the 19 story announced last week" is.

• Like 3

Oracle already has a several hundred operation operation in Raleigh Durham.  This story was just leaked first in Nashville but not in other places and I am sure they are considering a couple of places.  This does not surprise me at all remember with the exception of the Amazon circus like search most economic development searches are done very quietly and secretly.  Even Nashville did not know there was a 5000 job logistics operation in the mix until it happened. 

• Like 1