Oracle, 60 acres at River North, 1,200,000 sq. ft. of space, $1.2B Investment, 8,500 jobs

markhollin

• 2 months later...

On 4/28/2022 at 4:40 PM, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ This image from a Metro filing shows a piece of the "South Greenway" section of public space planned at Oracle Corp.'s River North East Bank campus.

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 4.38.06 PM.png

Any update on the Oracle development? This was posted about 10 weeks ago.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It’s unfortunate for those employees, but I am not concerned about this long term. A lot of major tech companies are laying off employees - it’s not unique to Nashville or Oracle. 

Tech companies are typically the canary in the coal mine when a recession is looming. I think that’s what we are seeing here. 

• Like 2

I've heard (anecdotally) that it's several hundred in Nashville, most of whom have relocated from out of state this year (mainly Cali). This will absolutely have an impact on Nashville, IMO.  

In related news - Amazon reports Q3 earnings after the bell today. It'll be interesting to see how they're faring, and potentially how that might affect us.

As @WebberThomas4  mentioned - big tech is a bellwether and harbinger of the broader economy. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

Tech companies are typically the canary in the coal mine when a recession is looming. I think that’s what we are seeing here. 

5 hours ago, Flatrock said:

As @WebberThomas4  mentioned - big tech is a bellwether and harbinger of the broader economy. 

My $0.02: tech companies have been chasing top-line growth (more volume, more users, more sales) regardless of how much cost they added, because debt was cheap and capital was flowing.

Now that rates are rising, companies and owners that were fine with losses in pursuit of users (largely tech companies) are tightening their budgets and pursuing profitability via lower costs.

Oracle's latest filings show revenues up 14% year over year, but costs up 40%, meaning their income is down vs last year. They - like most tech companies - are reducing headcount to get costs in line with revenue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, MidTenn1 said:

Hastings Architects has posted a sampling of some of their projects on Instagram and included was a conceptual (?) layout of River North including the Oracle Campus which I haven't seen before. The rendering is very detailed and includes a park, canals, the pedestrian and vehicular tunnels under I-24 and the pedestrian bridge and a not previously announced vehicular bridge over the Cumberland. And it looks like a ramp will be constructed from Cowan Street to I-24.

1799334377_Oracleconceptual1123.thumb.jpg.7e306e8070d8bdd0402ea7ac6a1d3ae1.jpg

From the description of the rendering on Instagram;

I wonder how up-to-date this is. 

That site plan clearly shows areas that have yet to be sold and are still owned by Monroe. The vehicular connection into Germantown has not been talked about for some time either. I think this is an old plan to be honest.  I am also pretty sure the Oracle project will not have near that many buildings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...