Oracle, 60 acres at River North, 1,200,000 sq. ft. of space, $1.2B Investment, 8,500 jobs

markhollin

• 1 month later...

Cooper is quoted in this article RE LGBT issues the state has passed recently and its effect on business. 

When asked about Oracle, Cooper said: "I bet you’ll hear a lot of conversation relatively soon about Oracle, so I won’t get into it today. The bigger issue is that there’s such a lot of anti-LGBT legislation that you do risk developing a reputation for hostilities that are … the opposite of our recruiting and retention efforts."

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/04/05/cooper-lgbt-mendes.html

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

Cooper is quoted in this article RE LGBT issues the state has passed recently and its effect on business. 

When asked about Oracle, Cooper said: "I bet you’ll hear a lot of conversation relatively soon about Oracle, so I won’t get into it today. The bigger issue is that there’s such a lot of anti-LGBT legislation that you do risk developing a reputation for hostilities that are … the opposite of our recruiting and retention efforts."

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/04/05/cooper-lgbt-mendes.html

Without getting into the details, I definitely have my own issues with some of Tennessee's laws in that regard.  However, in this case, it kinda comes across to me like Cooper is trying to find a scapegoat he can lay the blame on if an Oracle deal winds up not panning out.  

• Like 1

All I'll say is that what Cooper refers to is unfortunately very indicative of the superficial priorities within our State legislature. Negative consequences are not out of the realm of possibility whatsoever, especially when observing Georgia right now or North Carolina previously. Will it force a company like Oracle to pull out of Nashville entirely? I doubt it, especially since Oracle isn't a huge public retail brand that needs to concern itself as much with public opinion, but it's a consideration nonetheless. 

• Like 1

Discriminatory laws already on the books in TN mean that California has imposed a travel ban on state-funded travel to TN among other states.

https://oag.ca.gov/ab1887

This leads any group that would have public employees (e.g., University of California researchers) attending to hold their events elsewhere. I'm not aware of it specifically deterring office relocations to TN, but wouldn't be surprised.

41 minutes ago, yontu2 said:

Discriminatory laws already on the books in TN mean that California has imposed a travel ban on state-funded travel to TN among other states.

https://oag.ca.gov/ab1887

This leads any group that would have public employees (e.g., University of California researchers) attending to hold their events elsewhere. I'm not aware of it specifically deterring office relocations to TN, but wouldn't be surprised.

Well Oracle is now in Texas so there is a loophole for them if that is the case, although many many smaller tech companies have moved from California to Tennessee so I don’t think it is.

If I had children I’d be happy if they ended up LGBT.  I’d be more disappointed if they ended up being a politician. Political office seems to bring out the worst in people. I’ve also always told people that those who cry the most about someone else’s  sexuality are the ones normally hiding something themselves. 

Edited by Buildtall
  • Like 4

I suppose that could happen. They're making moves that show interest in building a large presence. That's a lot of acreage. It's zoned for office and mixed use, and they're not developers. Plus the rumor for over a year is that Oracle wants a large presence in Nashville. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, markhollin said:

Oracle could have all of the dark purple section as part of this land acquisition.

River North, Oracle site, April 7, 2021, site map.png

Just now realizing that the people who purchase land next to the river actually own a portion of the river.  

“Don’t you own some land next to the Cumberland River?"

“Actually…I own some land…AND I own the Cumberland River.  Thinking about changing the name to Tom’s River."

Did any of you all read the NBJ article about Jennifer Pritzker threatening to pull a company out of TN concerning the anti-LGBT bills currently moving through the legislature this session? The more I read about things like this, the more I worry that Oracle eventually is going to face immense pressure to scuttle the Nashville hub deal. Thoughts? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

That might be an issue with some other SV giants but Larry Ellison has made no secret of the fact he’s escaping the woke nirvana of California. How big of a presence in TN is Pritzker? Hasn’t really been a prominent player. Maybe would be more at home in California. 

• Like 2