Oracle, 60 acres at River North, 1,200,000 sq. ft. of space, $1.2B Investment, 8,500 jobs

markhollin

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:41 AM, CenterHill said:

The bigger trick is how to not have local solutions to local problems preempted by the state legislature 

I'm all in favor of local governance, however I wonder if there is a distinction to be made between restricting local freedoms and preserving local freedoms.  When I look at a city like Detroit, I wonder if there's anything the state of Michigan could have done to prevent that city from totally self destructing.  And didn't the state of Michigan ultimately have to take over governance of Detroit when the city was basically bankrupt?

I'm not saying Nashville is anything like Detroit, but I'm talking about the concept:  Should a state take action to preserve economic and civil liberties in a City (when they are threatened by local ordinances) if that city is one of the main economic engines driving the state economy?

1 hour ago, urbanplanet17 said:

The State of Michigan did do a number of things to add insult to Detroit's injury.

Great information you provide there, thanks for adding that perspective!  You are right.  The state can both help and hurt the cities.  We will just have to address each Nashville issue as it comes along on its own merits.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
3 hours ago, rolly said:

If Oracle had a large presence in Nashville, it would be interesting if they eventually had their big Oracle OpenWorld conference at the Music City Conference Center.

Here's a story of the troubles going on at the San Fran site that caused the conference to move to Vegas. 

Well, the article states that high hotel rates were a factor in relocating, then calls out Nashville specifically as a city with even higher hotel rates, so that's not promising.

I saw that, but rates in Vegas are also high. And they don't have a big office in Vegas yet they were anxious to move on from the Bay Area so Vegas worked out. 

Assuming they locate 3000 employees in Nashville, then it could make a lot of sense to run their conference there as well.  Also by the time they get settled into to the Music City, there will be about 10 more hotels opening up, so rates could be coming down. 

Edited by rolly
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

From the article:

(Mayor's Finance Director Kevin Crumbo's) comments (about economic development incentives going on the back burner) also cast doubt on the administration's appetite for recruiting new companies, including tech giant Oracle, to town. According to transition documents obtained by the NBJ, Metro officials were "working with partners on 15 projects that would create more than 12,000 jobs and invest $1.5 billion into Nashville" at the time Cooper took office.

• Like 1