Oracle, 60 acres at River North, 1,200,000 sq. ft. of space, $1.2B Investment, 8,500 jobs

markhollin

14 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

what do you mean by "next phase"... what would that entail?

CONCEIVABLY by my guess the next phase where you'd need publicly listed lobbyists would be if you are potentially advancing something that would include the need for state legislature or metro council approvals.

To an earlier point, an Amazon has state lobbyists everywhere even if they don't have a hub because they have on the ground business everywhere. I honestly don't know if Oracle would have a similar need.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, DDIG said:

CONCEIVABLY by my guess the next phase where you'd need publicly listed lobbyists would be if you are potentially advancing something that would include the need for state legislature or metro council approvals.

To an earlier point, an Amazon has state lobbyists everywhere even if they don't have a hub because they have on the ground business everywhere. I honestly don't know if Oracle would have a similar need.

I think it’s a sign things are moving along. The NBJ stated that according to the paperwork filed she will be lobbying metro with regards to economic development, land use issues, tax issues, and permitting. I’m sure we’ll know more soon enough. 

Edited by downtownresident
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

I think it’s a sign things are moving along. The NBJ stated that according to the paperwork filed she will be lobbying metro with regards to economic development, land use issues, tax issues, and permitting. I’m sure we’ll know more soon enough. 

My take as well. I also see NBJ writing that article emphasizing Nashville is still in play leading right into the lobbyist article as a sign that they know something is up.

2 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I think this does mean that things are moving along, beyond anything the mayor can do. I don't think (even) he is stupid enough to stand in the way of a plum like Oracle. I might even expect him to 'lie low' while this process is moving forward.  The lobbyist is very likely working more on the state level, but ensuring that any workforce and construction requirements and/or tax rebates are considered on the local level. Anyone trying to do business with Metro knows that the Council is where the real power lies, especially with an unpopular mayor who appears quite unpredictable (even irrational at times) to obstruct the plans of something like Oracle. The lobbyists I know in Georgia are used mostly for PR purposes, but also in reviewing local legal/codes matters. I only know a couple in Tennessee and they're in healthcare. So I'd guess this lobbyist will be working primarily with TNECD, a handful of Metro departments, such as Public Works and MDHA... or whatever zone River North falls in (I'd guess their land is in an Opportunity Zone), and the Greater Nashville Chamber of Commerce. Is Spyridon still there? I can tell you, he has a stellar reputation among the legal profession in Tennessee and beyond. 

So it's my sense that this development bodes very well for Nashville's chances of getting a big Oracle announcement in the next few months. Always curious to know what @BWithers knows about such matters. 

Spyridon is still at the CVC. He will leave a huge void when he leaves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

If they did, no media covered it. These meetings are a little ridiculous now as far as time goes. A simple meeting goes 6 or 7 hours now and I do not even want to watch the YouTube video once it comes out. That is a day wasted if you get what I mean. 

My guess is that it did as we did not hear a lot of discussion prior to the meeting from Steve Glover. He would be the one to be taking to the bully pulpit and getting the media's attention, but I have heard nothing.

4 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

My guess is that it did as we did not hear a lot of discussion prior to the meeting from Steve Glover. He would be the one to be taking to the bully pulpit and getting the media's attention, but I have heard nothing.

I'd guess that we don't hear much from Glover on this one as Ellison's politics might align with Glover's.

I have been looking at the YouTube but  it passed on 2nd. They will have a public meeting in February on this again. 39-4 was the vote. It may not be in front of council till March probably.

19 minutes ago, japan said:

I'd guess that we don't hear much from Glover on this one as Ellison's politics might align with Glover's.

He thought the whole thing had been worked out. Sean Parker wants to have a public meeting which is pretty much a mute point as they will not have any major input in the discussion. The public meeting should have happened along time ago according to Brett and I agree with him.

This area is also so far removed from the majority of the resident it would have little impact, other than giving them greater access to the west bank as proposed by the developer.

That district has gone from a yes man to developers to a council person that does care but takes it a little too far IMO.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I have been looking at the YouTube but  it passed on 2nd. They will have a public meeting in February on this again. 39-4 was the vote. It may not be in front of council till March probably.

He thought the whole thing had been worked out. Sean Parker wants to have a public meeting which is pretty much a mute point as they will not have any major input in the discussion. The public meeting should have happened along time ago according to Brett and I agree with him.

This area is also so far removed from the majority of the resident it would have little impact, other than giving them greater access to the west bank as proposed by the developer.

That district has gone from a yes man to developers to a council person that does care but takes it a little too far IMO.

They voted against having the public hearing and it is moving on to 3rd reading.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...