Oracle, 60 acres at River North, 1,200,000 sq. ft. of space, $1.2B Investment, 8,500 jobs

markhollin

From Colby Sledge email update:

Council is also expected to pass an enormous economic deal designed to entice Oracle to Nashville. The legislation has 26 cosponsors already, so my vote is effectively meaningless, but I'll want to hear more during the Budget Committee discussion about next steps. I'm disappointed that seemingly no community engagement has occurred around this deal, but as it will likely also require a substantial rezoning, there may be opportunity in the future for such engagement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I thought they already extended the DTC to the area.

No. The DTC stops at the river to the East and Jefferson to the North (just about)

image.thumb.png.8d1dde2fda5f242be3353be37dc4b31f.png

3 hours ago, downtownresident said:

They need to amend the UDO, which envisioned higher density development / high rises in order to allow for the campus. 

Not really sure I am a big fan of this. While I will be a big fan of the green space, I dont want their amending of the UDO to allow for a stupid amount of surface parking lots. We will end up with another Nissan Stadium with more trees haha

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

This was going to happen regardless of Oracle or not. Everyone needs to quit belly aching. This has been a real possibility since day one and Colby is just now raising a concern in a district that is not even his own. This rezoning then has been a possibility ever since Monroe Investments decided to buy the land and now everyone is upset....A little late don’t you think?

Come on Craig, even you know better than that. This was proposed before you moved here and the prior council person in your district was in office. Monroe said they wanted the DTC extended over the river and Metro was receptive to the idea and this was several years ago.

The project Oracle is proposing is not going to have quote high-rises as they seem more like mid-rise buildings. Now there may be some high-rise structures built as a result, but that , again has been the plan all along.

Slow your roll Ron, I'm not belly aching at all. I'm in favor of extending the DTC all the way to Five Points and all the way down West End Ave honestly. Extending the DTC to this area would probably actually hurt Oracle's plan, because the DTC calls for much more dense development than they are proposing. The River North Master Plan as it was laid out was way more dense than what we are seeing coming out of Oracle's proposal. Of course things are always going to change and quite honestly the original Master Plan probably was not going to be real realistic. 

Having Oracle in town will certainly have it's pros and cons. Landing a company of their status is great. The investment they are proposing is great. Gentrification will be a big concern if the developments don't include affordable units. If changes to the UDO allows Oracle to build a campus with a bunch of surface lots, that is not good. Just like any SP process, the rezoning should include back and forth where all the parking is structured with the exception of certain visitor parking, and quite if they include 10% of all residential units are affordable.

So to call genuine concern or feedback "belly-aching" is quite misguided. I do think Sledge needs to slow his roll a bit. He is all hot and bothered over the racetrack stuff that he is just calling for public conversations wherever he can. He is just setting up his stump speech for re-election.

• Like 3

Sorry did not imply you were belly aching I was implying Colby was. As for re-election of anyone as far as from council to Mayor if that is the case I would rather have a black horse candidate out of the blue than anyone on the council right now or for that matter anyone that has been on the council.

We need fresh thinking all the way round. I agree with some green space. Oracle will give you some green space as that is what they do with their campus feel and it will be open to the public and this was stated in the IDB meeting I do believe. 

But to start debating land use of this area now after this company has been trying to get something rolling for years is just plain wrong. 

• Like 2

Why on earth would this be Oracle's problem to solve? I don't understand politicians anymore.

Edit: Since the tweet isn't showing up (atleast for me), what I was sharing is Mendes said he would vote no on Oracle if they do not take concrete action on the state's anti-LGBT legislation. Who knows what that would be. He also called them signing on a letter against it theater. 

Edited by DDIG
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

21 minutes ago, DDIG said:

Why on earth would this be Oracle's problem to solve? I don't understand politicians anymore.

Edit: Since the tweet isn't showing up (atleast for me), what I was sharing is Mendes said he would vote no on Oracle if they do not take concrete action on the state's anti-LGBT legislation. Who knows what that would be. He also called them signing on a letter against it theater. 

He was the worst part of the entire meeting. He also said that Bob Rolfe lectured the Budget and Finance committee. When an executive of a company you’re trying to recruit answers your question with, “you can either recruit companies that share your values or push them away,” will weigh heavily should they decide not to invest in Nashville. 

Edit: Mendes did say he would support Oracle. He said that their perfect score with HRC, and culture / signing the national letter swayed him over. He did say that he would likely vote no on future ECD legislation unless the prospective companies would commit to fighting anti-LGBT legislation at the state level. His take is a terrible and short sighted one, and does nothing but hurt the long-term efforts to eventually effect change at the state level. 

I’d be less(or more) concerned if we didn’t have John Cooper as mayor, but I do sense a large under current of anti-business and anti-growth sentiment within Davidson County and Metro Council. Oracle is going to pass, but I am worried about the opportunities that come after, and whether there will be popular support for those companies to come to Nashville. 

Edited by downtownresident
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

He was the worst part of the entire meeting. He also said that Bob Rolfe lectured the Budget and Finance committee. When an executive of a company you’re trying to recruit answers your question with, “you can either recruit companies that share your values or push them away,” will weigh heavily should they decide not to invest in Nashville. 

Is there real risk that Oracle might not come? If so that would be a sad turn of events

3 minutes ago, nashwatcher said:

Is there real risk that Oracle might not come? If so that would be a sad turn of events

Probably not but again if metro council continues with their ‘no growth for Nashville’ mantra then there will be a day where a company backs out

34 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

Edit: Mendes did say he would support Oracle. He said that their perfect score with HRC, and culture / signing the national letter swayed him over. He did say that he would likely vote no on future ECD legislation unless the prospective companies would commit to fighting anti-LGBT legislation at the state level. His take is a terrible and short sighted one, and does nothing but hurt the long-term efforts to eventually effect change at the state level. 

I’d be less(or more) concerned if we didn’t have John Cooper as mayor, but I do sense a large under current of anti-business and anti-growth sentiment within Davidson County and Metro Council. Oracle is going to pass, but I am worried about the opportunities that come after, and whether there will be popular support for those companies to come to Nashville. 

Good clarification. Interesting how the tables have turned and now Cooper is pushing econ deals, I vaguely think I remember Mendes criticizing Cooper at the time for not engaging in economic development. Mendes went from a very sharp budget hawk to... I guess  something he thinks he needs to be to pick up the votes needed to be Mayor.

• Like 1