Oracle, 60 acres at River North, 1,200,000 sq. ft. of space, $1.2B Investment, 8,500 jobs

markhollin

22 minutes ago, titanhog said:

In the end...I still hope it ends up at River North.  Would be the perfect moment to get that development up and running.

Or to Neuhoff/Nashville Block in Germantown, or maybe Circle South, or possibly even North Gulch Gateway (former Tennessean site). 

• Like 3

I wonder... if you gave Wilson County officials the option to choose between a couple million dollars in saved incentive dollars that they could use to fill some pot holes, and attracting the headquarters of a global tech giant worth billions upon billions of dollars creating international recognition and attention and creating thousands of high paying tech jobs... which would they choose?  Cooper chose the pot holes, apparently.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

I've heard that Mt Juliet officials have asked TDOT to consider building an exit at Central Pike.  I'm not sure how that would work, with Mt Juliet Road just a few hundred yards away, but there's a whole lot of land there where Central Pike meets I-40 in western Mt Juliet, and it's within spitting distance of Davidson County and only a couple of exits away from BNA.

image.png.29cf23188d615c7595629778f28224ea.png

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

I've heard that Mt Juliet officials have asked TDOT to consider building an exit at Central Pike.  I'm not sure how that would work, with Mt Juliet Road just a few hundred yards away, but there's a whole lot of land there where Central Pike meets I-40 in western Mt Juliet, and it's within spitting distance of Davidson County and only a couple of exits away from BNA.

This interchange could be fast tracked, much like the interchange at McEwen was built quickly to accommodate Nissan. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Also millennials aren't the "young fresh out of college talent anymore",  maybe the stragglers are. 

Gen Z is the fresh talent that companies are trying to attract now. 

The legend qualified "millennial" as 20 to 34 years....that would include fresh out of college talent.  Of course, as you point out...Gen Z would be appear to be the appropriate moniker for some in their defined age range.

image.png.53114f3ffc8835286bbc3319ab9d9758.png

Western Wilson County was the first place that popped into my mind.  Clarksville is kind of a dark horse candidate, but there is a certain logic to it because of the ultra low cost profile.  It could provide a good motivation for extending the Music City Star rail service to Clarksville.

Edited by Armacing
already commented on something
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 12:28 PM, jmtunafish said:

HDR Engineering Inc. was awarded the interchange design back in Feb.   There have been a few interchange studies done in the past 20 years or so before that.

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/roadway-design/documents/consultant-information/selection-results/Selection Results for Ad Announcment 07-10-19.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Wouldn't it be nice is western Wilson got 3,000 jobs from Oracle in addition to these 1,000 jobs from Amazon? I'd also prefer River North to get 3,000 Oracle jobs.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/07/24/amazon-to-bring-1-000-new-jobs-to-wilson-county.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

If I were a large company like Oracle, I would look south of Nashville.  There is oddles of big flat tracts on the EASTERN side of I65 down by Saturn Parkway which may soon be extended to US 431.   US431 is a candidate for widening to Franklin also in the future.  The land bargain is in Maury County which has low taxes and the area borders Williamson County where the workers can buy really fine houses and get the great school system not far from an office campus in Maury.  There are two more interstate exits on I65 in the works too.  Another thing is millenials are opting for rural estates which are very hard to come by in Nashville or Williamson County but still available in Maury for a reasonable price.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 4

I'd guess the appeal to Mt. Juliet is its proximity to BNA, especially for a company that wants outside of Davidson County. Haven't been to MJ in several years, but I recall there's lots of land around there. Judging from the abundance of cedar trees around there however I'd guess it's very rocky land. Have to think that's a relatively minor consideration to an entity that wants to build 800K suburban style office buildings. Also, the traffic situation up I-65 in Williamson has gotten so bad, I'd expect large companies may want to avoid that altogether.

Given the above and proximity to both lakes in the metro area, I expect western Wilson will explode with growth in the next decade,

Still hope there's a chance that River North would be the location they choose.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I'd guess the appeal to Mt. Juliet is its proximity to BNA, especially for a company that wants outside of Davidson County. Haven't been to MJ in several years, but I recall there's lots of land around there. Judging from the abundance of cedar trees around there however I'd guess it's very rocky land. Have to think that's a relatively minor consideration to an entity that wants to build 800K suburban style office buildings. Also, the traffic situation up I-65 in Williamson has gotten so bad, I'd expect large companies may want to avoid that altogether.

Given the above and proximity to both lakes in the metro area, I expect western Wilson will explode with growth in the next decade,

Still hope there's a chance that River North would be the location they choose.

This.  Mount Juliet is just now starting to hit its stride and has thousands of acres available for development.  The new Central Pike interchange at I-40 will undoubtedly bring office parks and hotels similar to how Brentwood got its start 40 or so years ago.  Mt Juliet is already a popular city for upper middle class families with its excellent schools, marinas on Old Hickory and Percy Priest lakes, close proximity to BNA, and commuter rail to downtown Nashville.  While I'd rather see Oracle at River North, too, if Oracle decides to shun Davidson County, I can absolutely see why western Mt Juliet would be a very attractive option.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Great to see you on here Randy. Was a little concerned I had not seen you in here for a while. Welcome back!

I agree with you. Williamson is more of a fit for a company like Oracle than Wilson, simply because of quality of life, schools, etc. I think maybe Oracle is searching for all options available to them in the area, including Davidson. The fact they were looking for land recently means they are still interested in the area as a whole. It would still be a win for the region.

We do need to stop thinking selfishly here and think more in terms of a regional power. When some of these companies go to Austin or Dallas, they may not be going to Austin or Dallas proper but an outlying area. It is still a win for them.

I agree.  To me....Nashville is the metro area.  We're large enough now that county lines don't mean much, other than taxation / local voting.

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

I agree.  To me....Nashville is the metro area.  We're large enough now that county lines don't mean much, other than taxation / local voting.

Oracle will want to be near the city core. That's where the tech talent wants to be, Williamson isn't their style. 

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Praying a deal is made, at least in some capacity (does not have to be 3,000 jobs) especially at River North. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/10/22/oracle-nashville-tech-hub-recruitment-update-jobs.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_34&cx_artPos=6#cxrecs_s

Anyone with NBJ sub able to read this and let us know what they say?

If Cooper stays out of the negotiations, Nashville may have a shot at this. And I do have it on excellent authority that the MSFT deal was wrecked by his office's unwillingness to even sit down with them. That comes from a close associate who works in the state ECD. The staff there was utterly pissed at what went down. They had meetings set up to start at the Mayor's office, but Cooper said at the last minute he couldn't meet them. The end result was a car ride past some 'candidate' sites, but the MSFT team mentioned several times they were insulted by Cooper. State ECD even pitched a site in Knoxville, but they asked to return to the airport. Most of this has been published now, but it was a disaster.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4