Childress Klein/Ram South End Tower - Lowe's anchored (23 floors - 357')

KJHburg

8 minutes ago, kermit said:

They can’t add cars without extending the remainder of the platforms. But they can certainly add frequency — they need to run every 5 minutes at peak and every 10 off peak at a minimum. They can do that as soon as they can get additional vehicles delivered. This would do much more to improve the system than longer trains.

Exactly this, however is there any indication that CATS is actively implementing tighter scheduling? Is it even on the radar?

1 minute ago, southslider said:

As much as Lewis is to blame for killing 3-car LYNX platforms, private development should contribute to improving an adjacent station, especially when private sector already is on the hook for turn lanes and other road improvements for any other big project.

I'd say the private sector has done a ton for the RailTrail, which includes station improvements at NewBern, 36th St & Stonewall.

Edited by Guest

31 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Exactly this, however is there any indication that CATS is actively implementing tighter scheduling? Is it even on the radar?

Absolutely no indication they are thinking about this. The lead time for new vehicle delivery is normally a couple of years so they really need to get on this. Limited Blue Line capacity is going to stunt Charlotte’s continued growth in the same way the sewer capacity issue was a problem.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

At this point, I think SouthEnd is at a place where it can support more soft good retailers. Maybe an H&M, Zara, American Eagle or Urban Outfitters. I know I would go to SouthEnd to shop just to get that urban neighborhood experience, even though the mall would be closer. 

• Like 1

CATS need to add 1130~1330 as peak hour.
If I need to leave uptown for lunch. 15 min headway means I need to constantly checking schedule.
7.5 or even less will be much better.

Considering we have so many good restaurants in south end and noda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kermit said:

Absolutely no indication they are thinking about this. The lead time for new vehicle delivery is normally a couple of years so they really need to get on this. Limited Blue Line capacity is going to stunt Charlotte’s continued growth in the same way the sewer capacity issue was a problem.

Well y'all should ask John Lewis, he's currently interacting with CLT Development twitter.

2 hours ago, kermit said:

They can’t add cars without extending the remainder of the platforms. But they can certainly add frequency — they need to run every 5 minutes at peak and every 10 off peak at a minimum. They can do that as soon as they can get additional vehicles delivered. This would do much more to improve the system than longer trains.

Yet developers still widen a road along a project's frontage, even if the remaining corridor remains unwidened.  They should at least contribute to improving a station immediately across little Camden Rd from their door.

Edited by southslider
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

CATS is also supposed to bring a value-capture plan to the table very soon, where the property tax improvements caused by transit help pay for transit.

Yes that is what I think is needed.  Properties within a certain distance of the LYNX line and that is what is driving this multifamily, office development.  Georgia and ATL has them all over called TID Transportation Improvement Districts there is one for the Perimeter at GA 400, Buckhead, Gwinnett has few, Cobb has several etc that fund transportation improvements in those areas. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!

As per Handel (and the Bible):

Zadok the priest
And Nathan the prophet
Anointed Soloman, king
And all the people
Rejoiced.
And all the people (Alleluia)
Rejoiced.

queen-coronation_2580818b.jpg

To celebrate a Red Letter Day in Charlotte's History - June 27, 2019 - Lowe's picks SouthEnd for Global Tech Hub

Note - Click open link in new tab below  - Length 5 mins. 27 secs.  - Also click skip ad

Lyrics
Zadok the priest
And Nathan the prophet
Anointed Solomon king
And all the people rejoiced, rejoiced, rejoiced
And all the people rejoiced, rejoiced, rejoiced
Rejoiced, rejoiced, rejoiced
And all the people rejoiced, rejoiced,
rejoiced and said:
God save the king
Long live the king
God save the king
May the king live forever
Amen, amen, alleluia, alleluia, amen, amen
Amen, amen, alleluia, amen

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Jasons0013 said:

Don'want to be that guy, but are we going to ignore that God awful parking deck because the building is so damn sexy?

I think it's indicative that the lot next door's days are numbered, because the street facing side looks to have some decorative elements. 

11 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Well y'all should ask John Lewis, he's currently interacting with CLT Development twitter.

I acknowledge that Lewis should not be keeping track of every infrastructure and land use discussion in Charlotte, his job is to keep the trains and busses running on time  (ahem...).

Having said that, his comment above really rubbed me the wrong way. That the man did not recognize the name of a very important infrastructure project one block from his least used rail station is appalling to me.  Deep knowledge of how CATS interacts with its station areas seems like a core element of the job of CATS CEO.

A much more reasonable reply might have been something like “it’s not a CATS project, but we are doing all we can to encourage CDOT to get moving on the important connection to 25th st station.”

#DoBetterCATS

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

This project is great for so many reasons....bringing more tech jobs to Charlotte helps diversify the city’s employment base and makes it easier to recruit the next tech company. The project also likely contributes to other projects in Southend such as a hotel or two, more retail and even more apartments (hopefully higher than the wooden structures).  Would not be surprised to see more tech companies scouting Southend.

The Dallas Morning News  had good coverage of the announcement and talked specifically about Southend and listed the other recent developments like DFA, Lending Tree etc....the publicity will only help the Southend Brand.

Before the announcement, I was thinking that with so many 2019 announcements of buildings that are actually leased, we may see a drop off in announcements.  Should never doubt Charlotte, this place continues to find ways to keep growing and expanding the employment base. 

7 minutes ago, rockhilljames said:

Is this the beginning of a Phoenix style skyline with two separate clusters of buildings?

Downtown-Phoenix-and-Uptown-Phoenix.jpg

Don't see any way there will be that much of this sort of height in South End. Only a limited number of parcels are zoned UMUD which is necessary for 250'+. Most everything else is or will be under the new TOD rules which cap height at 180'-250' I believe. We are definitely going to get more height in South End but it will probably be more more mid-rise buildings (think RY & DP).

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

Don't see any way there will be that much of this sort of height in South End. Only a limited number of parcels are zoned UMUD which is necessary for 250'+. Most everything else is or will be under the new TOD rules which cap height at 180'-250' I believe. We are definitely going to get more height in South End but it will probably be more more mid-rise buildings (think RY & DP).

Who says you can't try a UMUD up zone. Theres a couple of spots that I could see going UMUD.  The block where Wooden Robot is today, Elder Gallery block, Uptown Cabaret, across the street from Lending Tree