Childress Klein/Ram South End Tower - Lowe's anchored (23 floors - 357')

KJHburg

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Who says you can't try a UMUD up zone. Theres a couple of spots that I could see going UMUD.  The block where Wooden Robot is today, Elder Gallery block, Uptown Cabaret, across the street from Lending Tree

Possible for sure, it's just that the city pushed so hard for TOD I figure that's what they want people to go to.

21 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Who says you can't try a UMUD up zone. Theres a couple of spots that I could see going UMUD.  The block where Wooden Robot is today, Elder Gallery block, Uptown Cabaret, across the street from Lending Tree

The new TOD was designed with a stepdown towards single-family neighborhoods (Wilmore in the case of Wooden Robot and Elder Gallery) so either of those blocks won’t go higher than 300' max, so almost no chance of them becoming UMUD, remember the point of the UDO is to stop spot rezonings.

617616382_ScreenShot2019-06-28at11_50_34AM.thumb.png.a47c4d67245fa294a4196ba439134769.png

619672188_ScreenShot2019-06-28at11_45_19AM.thumb.png.1e57ccf8e4fade4d1109ecac2d7a94f4.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CLT> said:

The new TOD was designed with a stepdown towards single-family neighborhoods (Wilmore in the case of Wooden Robot and Elder Gallery) so either of those blocks won’t go higher than 300' max, so almost no chance of them becoming UMUD, remember the point of the UDO is to stop spot rezonings.

617616382_ScreenShot2019-06-28at11_50_34AM.thumb.png.a47c4d67245fa294a4196ba439134769.png

619672188_ScreenShot2019-06-28at11_45_19AM.thumb.png.1e57ccf8e4fade4d1109ecac2d7a94f4.png

Dimensional Fund Advisors owns a lot of the land around Elder though. If they need to expand, I guarantee they find a way to build another 180' building here. Thanks for sharing that map, haven't looked at it in a while.

Edited by Guest

On 6/27/2019 at 8:42 PM, JorgiPorgi said:

These renderings actually turned out better than I was thinking. Love all this brick coming to Southend. I wonder if this is intentional? 

I really like this building. This is a great example of how contemporary architecture can be both attractive AND context sensitive as well. The bricks and exposed steel are clearly a nod to the design center's architecture, the water tower, and the industrial history of South End. I hope they do a great job with the ground level, and I hope the parking deck won't be that hideous.

On 6/28/2019 at 10:53 AM, lancer22 said:

Don't see any way there will be that much of this sort of height in South End. Only a limited number of parcels are zoned UMUD which is necessary for 250'+. Most everything else is or will be under the new TOD rules which cap height at 180'-250' I believe. We are definitely going to get more height in South End but it will probably be more more mid-rise buildings (think RY & DP).

It's 300ft with the height bonus options.

On 6/28/2019 at 11:21 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I don't know how the existing UMUD zones outside of uptown came to be, but I doubt very much that the planning department or more importantly City Council would support any new UMUD districts outside of the loop. That said, in 2-3 years the Comp Plan and UDO will be adopted and the way zoning is thought about will be fundamentally changed and "UMUD" won't matter.

In the near term, the new TOD ordinance allows a lot more options for height than the old one, and I think the market will take advantage of it.

• Like 3

I don't know how the existing UMUD zones outside of uptown came to be, but I doubt very much that the planning department or more importantly City Council would support any new UMUD districts outside of the loop. That said, in 2-3 years the Comp Plan and UDO will be adopted and the way zoning is thought about will be fundamentally changed and "UMUD" won't matter.
In the near term, the new TOD ordinance allows a lot more options for height than the old one, and I think the market will take advantage of it.

It was done in 1994 by MECA, to create a district that would have to take care of and build around the historic architecture. Very forward thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunate that old warehouse will have to be torn down, it's somewhat historic in and of itself, could be made into something, but I'm glad Southend is starting to go vertical, I'm willing to lose some old buildings to create a more robust and dense skyline, just so long as it does't sterilize it. I think if this was Uptown I'd be a little more apt to try and save and make something of that warehouse, but in Southend, and the fact it's being used for industry rather than just sitting there ripe for refurbishment, makes me prefer the Lowes tower much more, especially as a catalyst. I already consider Charlotte world class in some regard, but having a truly dense, vast area of high rises would seal that perspective in visitor's eyes as well. 

25 minutes ago, rockhilljames said:

I could not disagree with you more. What Charlotte needs more of is human scaled buildings that promote street level interactions. Most of that stock was destroyed downtown, and it suffers for it. DFA is a gorgeous building, but I view it as a net loss because of what it replaced. South End has the potential to be a true urban core, but if we level it and replace it with block after block of podium parking it will become sterile and unwelcoming, regardless of how well it looks from afar.

Amen brother

• Like 1

Unfortunate that old warehouse will have to be torn down, it's somewhat historic in and of itself, could be made into something, but I'm glad Southend is starting to go vertical, I'm willing to lose some old buildings to create a more robust and dense skyline, just so long as it does't sterilize it. I think if this was Uptown I'd be a little more apt to try and save and make something of that warehouse, but in Southend, and the fact it's being used for industry rather than just sitting there ripe for refurbishment, makes me prefer the Lowes tower much more, especially as a catalyst. I already consider Charlotte world class in some regard, but having a truly dense, vast area of high rises would seal that perspective in visitor's eyes as well. 

What warehouse? The lot this is on has been scraped clean for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was in response to a post above that suggested the bakery complex needs to go.

Only way that bakery doesn’t get demo’d is if that German brewery is the buyer, and even so I’d think a 250-500k barrel place would need higher ceilings. Some of the buildings have some merit, but it’d be like Optimist Hall where you’d need to rip out 1/2 the tacked on shacks. Hell a good chunk of the buildings don’t even have roofs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/29/2019 at 8:25 AM, KJHburg said:

Drive bys of the site where this 23 story tower will rise, tallest in Charlotte outside 277 loop.  Yesterday. 

first 2 photos of the Carolina Foods bakery on the next block over.  Their land holdings would be great for a huge mixed use project. 

IMG_6266.JPG

IMG_6267.JPG

IMG_6268.JPG

IMG_6269.JPG

I was told carolina foods was shopping for a new facility in SC and would be selling the land. This would still be several years down the road.

35 minutes ago, Niner National said:

I was told carolina foods was shopping for a new facility in SC and would be selling the land. This would still be several years down the road.

I'd sell now while everything is inflated. They could get $70M easily.

Edited by Guest

I figured Carolina Foods was looking as it is big block of land but to SC is not a surprise either as everyone of their jobs would count as a new to the state and thus incentives would be more than NC could offer. 

Too bad this could not be  here in NC with SC a truce between companies moving back and forth across the state lines.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article231423608.html

In other news about Lowes the CIO talks to Ledger about how they will recruit 1600  technology people to their new South End office

https://charlotteledger.substack.com/p/how-lowes-plans-to-hire-1600-tech

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kermit said:

Larkin does not give AF about yall’s traffic concerns in Southend. (I am pleased to see Larkin doing the right thing!)

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/charlotte/news/2019/06/29/-that-s-what-you-build-a-light-rail-for---council-member-addresses-crowding-concerns-in-southend

[its a substance free story other than the headline]

This part of South End isn't in Larken's council district so let's hope that is why he doesn't care. Light Rail or not, the area still needs infrastructure improvements to handle the mass influx of cars and people coming to South End. Of course widening roads to accommodate more cars shouldn't happen but the area will need more traffic lights, pedestrian crossings,  and other general road and sidewalk improvements.  Tremont needs to be improved as a funnel for traffic into the area, it all can't go on West Blvd. The county should fund the Wilmore Park and invest in other park and greenway improvements in the area.  

Bottom line, if the city is/was going to give the River District $30 million dollars for infrastructure just to generate urban sprawl surely the city and county can start throwing money around South End to really create a great urban neighborhood. Something like the South Park improvements currently being considered would be a great start for a capital improvement plan for the area. They already have a good start with the South End Vision Plan and the South Blvd and S Tryon Corridor studies. Just open the funding faucets (and yes, I know this isn't how governments work and that they will start spending the money in 10 years when this will have been a problem for 8)

• Like 3