Childress Klein/Ram South End Tower - Lowe's anchored (23 floors - 357')

KJHburg

Construction/engineering question: What is the origin of the rebar and construction steel used in buildings such as this? Is it U. S. made? Are there makers/providers that specialize in this type material? The market would seem hot for this product and do makers shift from other product to meet demand for construction steel or just add output through efficiency?

The story of Steel in this country is truly an amazing one, from the forges that literally built this country (buildings, bridges, tools and machinery) up through it's total devastation starting in the 1970-80's and accelerating rapidly to near depletion (relative to what it once was) today.

What a wormhole we could go down discussing Geopolitics and Capitalism. Where's the coffeehouse....

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Construction/engineering question: What is the origin of the rebar and construction steel used in buildings such as this? Is it U. S. made? Are there makers/providers that specialize in this type material? The market would seem hot for this product and do makers shift from other product to meet demand for construction steel or just add output through efficiency?

I don't know where contractors generally source their steel these days but I'd be shocked if it was made here. From what I remember it's all coming from China these days.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I don't know where contractors generally source their steel these days but I'd be shocked if it was made here. From what I remember it's all coming from China these days.

Not sure about that if it is coming from China some might but some may be made by companies like Gerdau which has a plant in Charlotte.  It is a Brazilian based company with plants all over US

https://www2.gerdau.com/gerdau-locations

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Not sure about that if it is coming from China some might but some may be made by companies like Gerdau which has a plant in Charlotte.  It is a Brazilian based company with plants all over US

https://www2.gerdau.com/gerdau-locations

Could be. I don't know where that contractor sources their steel from. I'd love if it was produced here, but last year half of the world's entire steel production came from China so it's a safe guess to make.

4 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

1 hour ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Some projects have mandates on where the steel is sourced.  I worked on a project that forbid Chinese steel in the construction specs.  I know a lot of the steel being used in construction right now is from India, but I think the true answer is that it comes from all over - primarily China.  I would be surprised if the Federal Courthouse expansion wasn't being done with a US steel supplier.  Often times supplier location is factored into bids for government buildings or public utilities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, CTiger said:

Some projects have mandates on where the steel is sourced.  I worked on a project that forbid Chinese steel in the construction specs.  I know a lot of the steel being used in construction right now is from India, but I think the true answer is that it comes from all over - primarily China.  I would be surprised if the Federal Courthouse expansion wasn't being done with a US steel supplier.  Often times supplier location is factored into bids for government buildings or public utilities.

Yeah, I've seen that rule against Chinese steel too. Some contractors don't trust their quality control, which is understandable.

• Like 3

Nucor is the U.S. market leader in merchant bar and rebar products. Our bar products are produced in modern steel recycling facilities, ensuring the highest quality while creating sustainable value.

Nucor’s bar mill network is strategically positioned with efficient access to all major and supporting markets, ensuring quick turnaround on orders – including next-day delivery in some locations. Our full range of bar products provides our customers greater flexibility for managing inventory turns.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

Is this on a parking podium?

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Yes somewhat there is a garage to the side but some of the first floors are parking in the high rise tower portion as well.  

Floors 1-9 are parking, both in the tower portion and the parking-only portion. Then the office starts above floor 9 in the tower.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Floors 1-9 are parking, both in the tower portion and the parking-only portion. Then the office starts above floor 9 in the tower.

Well damn! That’s a small amount of office space to say this is the headquarter building. Is there another tower planned because if that’s the case, then there’s almost as much  space for parking than people. 

Edited by j-man
  • Haha 1