Childress Klein/Ram South End Tower - Lowe's anchored (23 floors - 357')

KJHburg

• 2 weeks later...

One single solitary pillar of steel was raised today on this tower, reminding me that it would be transitioning from Concrete to steel. I talked to the developer who let me know that while steel is going up, they still have another 8 more weeks until this puppy really starts to rise quickly. 

1 hour ago, kermit said:

More of the steel going up. Elevator shaft?

776054C9-0CC4-4687-BC48-88DD669489C7.jpeg

its specifically for the office tower, but the parking deck will grow around it until it gets to 9 floors, and then it'll be all office tower from there on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Man, it's really apparent now how huge this building is going to look, especially with the one-story building next door.

I was walking with my sister today (she is in local government in this region so has interesting takes) and she lamented the coming high-rises right next to one-story buildings. How does this board view that? I for one think it can work, but she also has a point that South End as we know it will be no more very soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, DH17 said:

I was walking with my sister today (she is in local government in this region so has interesting takes) and she lamented the coming high-rises right next to one-story buildings. How does this board view that? I for one think it can work, but she also has a point that South End as we know it will be no more very soon.

I personally like the skyline being extended/added too with high rise buildings.  Charlotte's new Development Ordinance allows for denser development along the Transit line and does have some height restrictions and/or setbacks to note.  It’s just this particular development had a different Zoning which allowed for unlimited height at this lot.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DH17 said:

With Uptown steadily filling the 277 loop we should expect zoning to be updated for more high and mid rise buildings in more locations. South End is the first stop but it's really only a matter of time before out starts spilling out everywhere. I don't have strong feeling one way or another but eventually those one story building owners will sell to developers who want to throw 10, 20, 30 stories on that lot. 

11 hours ago, DH17 said:

Would much rather have high rises adjacent to uptown than have even more sprawl outside of 485

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I personally like the skyline being extended/added too with high rise buildings.  Charlotte's new Development Ordinance allows for denser development along the Transit line and does have some height restrictions and/or setbacks to note.  It’s just this particular development had a different Zoning which allowed for unlimited height at this lot.

Didn't realize that this development had different zoning. TOD does have height restrictions, so I suppose it will have more of a "natural" change in height overall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

from the twitter this afternoon

This 23-story CK Ram Design Center office tower is currently under construction in Charlotte’s South End. The skin of the 350,000 SF tower is a combination of unitized curtain wall, precast, perforated metal panels, and wood paneling.

Is there a reason the Lowes' name isn't still on this?