Childress Klein/Ram South End Tower - Lowe's anchored (23 floors - 357')

KJHburg

2 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

They are going to look at these pictures in future generations and wonder what the hell we were thinking having cars, bikers and pedestrians crossing train tracks without safe lanes dedicated to each.

We are so used to it as a society, but not giving  protected bike lanes is irresponsible and reckless.

It will amaze future generations that people used to manually drive cars everywhere, and we accepted that  tens of thousands of people would die every year in car accidents. 

• Like 2

Sorry for my impatience, but I'm so desperate for the lot behind the Lowe's Tech Center, and across Hawkins, to get developed.  Right now, it's some depressing truck yard.  So ready for South End to completely fill-in, to have built-out corridors of dense and interesting pedestrian engagements.  That's when you know the 'hood has arrived. 

If there were a grassroots movement to convert Camden Road into Camden (or South End) Square...a public square/plaza for max walkability and gathering, lined with retail, craftsmen, office, and civic uses and fully accessible to light rail, I'd be very hopeful for Camden Road as the best candidate for my "corridor vision."  Anyone else share this sentiment?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’d like to see Lowe’s move its whole HQ to SouthEnd or Uptown.  It’s current HQ is in the middle of nothing.

for most of their staff it works as remember they moved from North Wilkesboro so this was location to tap into the Charlotte labor pool and keep the originals HQ staff happier.  Maybe the top exec staff but they have a huge campus out there In Mooresville  and they would not leave it anytime soon.  Plus people love living near the lake for the most part. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

for most of their staff it works as remember they moved from North Wilkesboro so this was location to tap into the Charlotte labor pool and keep the originals HQ staff happier.  Maybe the top exec staff but they have a huge campus out there In Mooresville  and they would not leave it anytime soon.  Plus people love living near the lake for the most part. 

The very top execs probably have huge mansions on Lake Norman, but 99% of the Lowe's employees can’t afford to live  on the lake.  If I were super rich and worked at Lowe’s, I’d love to live on Lake Norman.  I understand why the CEO wants to be in Mooresville, but as an Average Joe who can't afford to live there, I'd rather spend each day in SouthEnd than on a corporate campus.

Edited by SydneyCarton

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The very top execs probably have huge mansions on Lake Norman, but 99% of the people can’t afford to live  on the lake.  If I were super rich and worked at Lowe’s, I’d love to live on Lake Norman.

you forget Mooresville east of I-77 it is as affordable as most of Charlotte.  I can see the top execs maybe moving or having offices in Charlotte sometime as the CEO lives in Quail Hollow.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

you forget Mooresville east of I-77 it is as affordable as most of Charlotte.  I can see the top execs maybe moving or having offices in Charlotte sometime as the CEO lives in Quail Hollow.  

That's true.  I interviewed for a job at Lowe's once and did not want to be on a suburban campus.  SouthEnd and Uptown are way more vibrant.  By the same token, I don't understand the  allure of theRTP in the Triangle.  I'd much rather be in downtown Durham.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3