Childress Klein/Ram South End Tower - Lowe's anchored (23 floors - 357')

KJHburg

11 hours ago, Yo Diaz! said:

I dislike counting parking deck levels as part of the over all floor count. It feels dishonest and deceptive. Like the building is cheating on height to me. This is my nitpick with high rises built on top of an above ground parking deck. I like this building, FNB, Honeywell and Ascent, but they are like 12 +/- story buildings on a podium to me no matter how the exterior cladding covers it all. I can’t Un think of them that way, haha.
I do like the overall size and heights though. Imagine if you will, the Vantage building plopped on top of its massive parking deck. They are gonna go that with a hotel eventually. We won’t count the existing parking levels as part of the overall hotel height will we ? (Especially with the delay now )
DEC is 48 floors. Yet has an 8 level underground deck. We don’t call that building 56 floors. We call it a 48 floor building that has an 8 level underground parking deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floors/stories/height is generally counted from ground level so all above-ground parking decks are included. It's done this way in code enforcement too, building heights are measured from the ground, not from the first occupied floor.

• Like 4

Floors/stories/height is generally counted from ground level so all above-ground parking decks are included. It's done this way in code enforcement too, building heights are measured from the ground, not from the first occupied floor.

Oh yeah, I get that. It just sticks in my mind weird. I’m 6’4” but a 5’ 10” guy standing on a 12” box next to me isn’t taller than me. He’s just propped up on a box. Or a woman in high heels isn’t actually that tall. That’s how a building built on an above ground deck seems to me... propped up.
Unoccupied Mechanical floors in a building don’t bother me - go figure!
It sticks in my mind weird the same way with ornamental tops like pyramids, domes , spires , etc depending on how smooth and seamless the transition. In a short while Metro Tower will be 606’ and 40 floors. Meanwhile LU1 stands at 632’ with I think 33 floors. It’s 100’ tall pyramid (which is odd and not seamless from some perspectives) makes it “taller”.
I also get some buildings have multiple taller than normal floor to floor heights
The definition I see online for Skyscraper is - a continuously habitable high-rise building that has over 40+ floors and is taller than 150m (492ft). LU1 doesn’t fit that unless it’s an either or. These buildings on top of parking decks aren’t close either despite being “propped up”. I get it’s Charlotte, and economics and marketable needs etc. I just wish Charlotte had a few more buildings that fit that definition.
I’m still very happy though for all the new high-rise buildings adding to the skyline and construction all over the city.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Yo Diaz! said:

Oh yeah, I get that. It just sticks in my mind weird. I’m 6’4” but a 5’ 10” guy standing on a 12” box next to me isn’t taller than me. He’s just propped up on a box. Or a woman in high heels isn’t actually that tall. That’s how a building built on an above ground deck seems to me... propped up.
Unoccupied Mechanical floors in a building don’t bother me - go figure!
It sticks in my mind weird the same way with ornamental tops like pyramids, domes , spires , etc depending on how smooth and seamless the transition. In a short while Metro Tower will be 606’ and 40 floors. Meanwhile LU1 stands at 632’ with I think 33 floors. It’s 100’ tall pyramid (which is odd and not seamless from some perspectives) makes it “taller”.
I also get some buildings have multiple taller than normal floor to floor heights
The definition I see online for Skyscraper is - a continuously habitable high-rise building that has over 40+ floors and is taller than 150m (492ft). LU1 doesn’t fit that unless it’s an either or. These buildings on top of parking decks aren’t close either despite being “propped up”. I get it’s Charlotte, and economics and marketable needs etc. I just wish Charlotte had a few more buildings that fit that definition.
I’m still very happy though for all the new high-rise buildings adding to the skyline and construction all over the city.

I think that LU1 does meet that Criteria.  The Habitable floor goes somewhere around 530/532’ and topped with that 100’ Pyramid.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Yo Diaz! said:

Just not the 40 or more floors though. So it seems the definition is an either or.

Yes - Definitely an either or situation.  A lot of Modern high rise Buildings built now (2000’s) use higher ceiling heights than was the case back in the 1960’s thru 1990’s.  If LU1 had 40 floors it would’ve been as tall as DEC1 or slightly taller.

I think Tenant demands have called for taller ceiling heights.

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 1