Childress Klein/Ram South End Tower - Lowe's anchored (23 floors - 357')

KJHburg

These takeaways from the Observer article are also of note (https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article231952298.html):

‘JUST PERFECT’

Lowe’s had also considered Dallas for the new tech hub, as the Observer reported in May.

Ultimately, a number of factors drew Lowe’s to Charlotte, including its proximity to the retailer’s headquarters in nearby Mooresville.

In choosing the new location, Lowe’s CEO Marvin Ellison said the company was attracted to the prospect of recruiting from the growing millennial population in Charlotte, especially in South End.

That generation is interested in living in dense areas close to public transit like the light rail, Ellison said. The ability to walk, bike or scooter to work is a plus, too, he added. 

“South End for us is just perfect. It gives us all of those things, and we’re getting in at the perfect time,” Ellison said. “We’re excited to be first major corporation to plant a flag in South End, and we hope other companies come in to facilitate the tech talent moving forward.”

INTERIM OFFICE

Lowe’s plans to fill the first 400 positions in the next year, and will begin hiring for the jobsimmediately, the company said.

While the company is building the new facility, it will temporarily house the tech center at the Charlotte Plaza in uptown. That’s the building on College Street that houses Grant Thornton. Lowe’s said it will start moving employees into that space as soon as next month.

Ellison took over as CEO almost exactly one year ago. In recent months, Ellison has said Lowe’s is in the early stages of a major overhaul, which includes revamping stores, improving product inventory, shutting down under-performing business units and improving IT.

“One of the first observations I made when I joined the company is that we really needed to accelerate our investment in tech,” Ellison said. “There are two characteristics of great retailers: A clear and consistent view of who customer is ... a great tech platform.”

Lowe’s first announced plans for the 2,000 tech hires at its annual analyst and investor conference in December. At the time, Ellison said that Lowe’s has fallen behind when it comes to tech innovation.

The new facility in South End will modernize Lowe’s technology system, driving the company’s growth forward, Lowe’s said.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wilmore said:

What is the 12-ish story building to the left of Lowe's here? Did this recently go under construction back there? 

Thats the Hawk is it rising now just foundation work and it is prefab concrete panels so it will fly up no pun intended.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Thats the Hawk is it rising now just foundation work and it is prefab concrete panels so it will fly up no pun intended.  

Will top out by November 1st, 2019

4 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

Call me crazy but I don't think this height fits in the Design Center very well and will be a traffic nightmare.

Also, this very well could be the priciest office tower in Charlotte. The detailing on the top is sooooo expensive.

There will be an exit straight to West Blvd. That is until they build a hotel tower on the corner of West Blvd and Hawkins. There will also be more towers in this area. This whole area is UMUD. 

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, XRZ.ME said:

Will this bring more footage to Lynx east west station or more pressure on south end apartment rent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes..... The sites on the other side of the BL from this are very much in play.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, QClifer said:

Poor lowes employees trying to take the light rail

south at 5pm will have to cram in the doors every day.   That would get old.  

Definitely, East/West is about to see a lot more traffic. The thing is, Charlotte is getting to the point where crapty bus/rail service is no longer seen as a sign of it being a lost cause, but rather demand for more investment in improving and expanding existing service. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

Can they add cars to the trains for increased demand?

Short answer: not anytime soon.

Longer answer: John Lewis (the visionary leader of CATS) cancelled the platform expansion project that was in the works for the rest of the station platforms. So, now we have  4 or 5 stations that can only accommodate 2 car trains.

Edited by Scribe
forgot the blue...

6 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Short answer: not anytime soon.

Longer answer: John Lewis (the visionary leader of CATS) cancelled the platform expansion project that was in the works for the rest of the station platforms. So, now we have  4 or 5 stations that can only accommodate 2 car trains.

Thanks. Maybe CATS can expedite the expansion of those stations/platforms that need to be expanded. I'm sure the amount and size of TOD's happening or planned would warrant these expansions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

Thanks. Maybe CATS can expedite the expansion of those stations/platforms that need to be expanded. I'm sure the amount and size of TOD's happening or planned would warrant these expansions.

I think some corporate dollars could help in this regard. Private money used to be a big factor in transit development. Edison built the streetcar line in Charlotte, and Ford established bus lines in the 30's. I wouldn't be against the "Lowe's Blue Line" if the damn thing ran on time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Allstate might take issue with Lowe's CEO claim to being the first major corporation to stake it's flag in Southend.  Especially considering that Allstate is ranked higher on the Forbes 500 than Lowes. #doYourResearch

This new skyscraper looks to be like a stretched  version of Railyard. Here is to hoping that the ground floor retail is just as good.

• Like 1